Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Nate94gt's Tamiya cc01 fj cruiser thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Nate94gt's Tamiya cc01 fj cruiser thread

Decided to pull the trigger and order the kit. I ordered the fj cruiser, fast Eddy bearing kit, hot racing steering kit, and a traxxas 2075 servo.

Body cut, washed and ready for paint

Windows covered

The rest covered. Basing of a more realistic fj cruiser so all the molding will be black and getting rid of the silver on the bumpers

And here's the black trim done

Tomorrow I'll go through and clean up spots that got black where it shouldn't have, then I'll paint the rest. It's a hard debate between colors.

And while that was going on I did a little bit of chassis work

I stopped there because there is a piece, D13. Supposedly there's a left and a right. The problem is, I only see 1 piece labeled D13. So yeah. I quit for tonight until I figure that out
nate94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Nate94gt's Tamiya cc01 fj cruiser thread

An excellent kit, I will sign up to follow the thread of your work. thanks for sharing.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Cyberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:15 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

There are 2 D parts trees in the kit. The other shock mount you seek is on the other one.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
There are 2 D parts trees in the kit. The other shock mount you seek is on the other one.
yup, found that out last night when I couldn't sleep lol. thanks!

So I work at an auto store and grabbed some duplicolor paint and sprayed some spare lexan. no cracking, chipping, or flaking. I'm gonna give it a shot. I'll get the rest of the body painted tonight.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:38 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

So day 2. One thing to note, stupid Tamiya and their Phillips head screws. Also thing to note, their packaging if all over the place. I think every bag has been ripped open and a quarter of the parts used. That's one nice thing about the axial kits, they are packaged much better.

So today I cleaned up the black in spots that ran or got hit.

I got to the steering and installed the hot racing kit. Only took me about 45 minutes to figure out lol. One thing about it, it's pretty tight. It takes effort to turn, I'll see how that goes when it's all done. I forgot to take pics :(

I got to the rear diff. There was a ton of side to side motion so I used one plastic bearing and one metal washer to tighten it up. I'm sure it's not required but I did anyway.

And here the body. It's white!

I have no idea what too do for tires. I'd like some black steel wheels for my scx10 II and then I can use the wheels I have now on the scx10 II on my cc01. Need some tires though. Really don't feel like dropping that much cash though lol
Old 06-09-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Built the shocks at lunch. Based on what I've seen they ride pretty rough stock so when I built the shocks I cut material off the flats on the dampers, it was about .018". Not much but I'll see how it works. If it's still really stiff I'll drill a couple small holes in them. also instead of the stock Tamiya shock oil, I have a ton of axial 30w, and it looked lighter via the eye test, so im trying that.
Here's a pic showing what and how much I took off.

Last edited by nate94gt; 06-09-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

So I put the servo in and as I suspected, it was not happy. I had to disassemble the hot racing steering kit. As it turns out, one of the bearings fell out, so when I was tightening down the arm onto the shaft, it wasn't going into a bearing so it was tightening too far down lol. But I got it and now it works!

In this pic there should have been a bearing where the blue is. You can also see where the arm was scraping on the chassis.

And now a bearing there and happy.

So now the chassis is basically finished. So I went onto the body. And wouldn't you know it, thanks to the 153 dimples on the roof, I drilled the body posts in the wrong spot :(

I'll have to cover that up somehow. Probably a roof rack and see if I can strategically place it :/

Now I have a question, and I'm going to do research. But it says to paint the taillight housings clear red. No problem, I have some. Then it says to spray aluminum over the red so its not transparent. And to also apply stickers. So I'm super confused and it's research time.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Mostly done. It looks like it's missing something but can't put my finger on it.

So here are the taillights. I used the clear red stop light paint and used chrome on interior and chrome on the headlight and taillight brackets.

Looks like it came out alright.

The stickers. Oh my God the stickers. I hated them. They don't look good, there were hundreds it seemed like. Cutting them out was brutal. I also wish I'd have put the window frame stickers on first THEN painted the interior, just to make sure I got it all. But in the end it is what it is.

I took it for a quick spin. The turning radius is bad, not a fan. However the hot racing steering upgrade https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Racing-Al.../dp/B01EILWCK2 seems great the during is take tight and it's nimble. It's pretty fast. The suspension is still stiff. I'll take the shocks apart and drill a hole in the dampers to see if that works better.

I have some wheels and tires coming, those should be here Tuesday I think.

Last edited by nate94gt; 06-11-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

So I got the goolrc led kit. It was $12 on Amazon. I was going to make my own but for 12 bucks, all wired up and ready to plug in, no way was I gonna do it cheaper.

Now I need to work on softening that suspension, it's stiff

Old 06-16-2017, 07:20 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Tamiya decals require patience, that's for sure. They are a model company first, and an RC company second.

Looks good from what I see. Try to resize your pics to 800x600 or so - they are so big they are throwing off the thread.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:10 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Tamiya decals require patience, that's for sure. They are a model company first, and an RC company second.

Looks good from what I see. Try to resize your pics to 800x600 or so - they are so big they are throwing off the thread.
They look good on my phone, lol. I'll go and try to resize them, thanks!

Nate94gt's Tamiya cc01 fj cruiser thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya released CC01 Land cruiser tpliquid Tamiya XC/CC01 56 12-11-2014 01:25 AM