Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Smaller pinion setup question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2019, 08:18 AM   #1

Default Smaller pinion setup question

Hi Guys,

I use my CC01 most for trailing so motor temps are fine but I would love to see a bit more torque and less speed with a 55t motor.
My problems with GRUs are that I dont want to cut the chassis and they are too slow anyway...
So my question is that is there a way installing a smaller pinion?
I read somewhere that it is possible to drill the motor mount for a 12t pinion. Do 12t pinion match the 80t stock counter gear?
Have somebody done this before?
Thanks in advance,
TDanny
TDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #2

Default Re: Smaller pinion setup question

Hi, if I were you, I would simply get a higher turn motor like 65T or 80T if you preferred.
barnettgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:44 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Ya 80T slows it down pretty good. A little too slow for my liking, actually ended up going back to 55T.
May try 80T again but with a 20 tooth pinion.

On another thought, has anyone tried 21 turn BL motor?
I have one handy I might pop in. Will turn timing to 0 to hope for best low end and lower rpm.
My guess though it'll still be stupid fast with not so great low speed control.
gimpygolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:33 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

So I stuffed the 21.5t BL in the Mog yesterday... It certainly has some rip lol, thing wheelies, drifts, flips it's silly.
I did play with Tx settings some, turned EPA down to 70% and Throttle Speed (acceleration) down to 30%. If you go full throttle it'll still lift the front right but is controllable. Has better manners down low than stock silver can but still think 55T is best for what I want.

I will try the 80T with 20 tooth pinion at some point, just need to get the gear. I've read that 80T on 3S is good setup but I still run Tamiya ESC and don't want to buy 3 cell pack when my 2S is still basically new.
gimpygolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #5

Yeah, trying to make CC01 a "real" crawler could be a money consuming choice, if just want a smaller crawler than scx10, cmx/cfx from MST should be a better choice.

Yet I chose to modify my poor little CC01...

In my view, a higher turn motor with stock gear ratio will not be a powerful setup on trail, higher turn means lose on power. GRU can provide high gear ratio(which is too high), but a high gear ratio with no clutch in the transmission, I guess it is unsafe...

As I intend to build a crawler style CC01, I made a reduction unit like this:

I use 2GT type belt driving parts(which is very cheap and easy to access, as standard parts) and some 3D print parts I designed, it does NO CUTTINGS to the chassis, using different size of pulleys, different gear ratio can be achieved. It also help with the problem that there's no clutch in CC01's transmission(the belt will skid when the tyres got stuck in rocks).
Sorry I only have this earlier pic, due to the weak stiffness of 3D print motor mount, the belt could get lose and skid easily, later I redesigned the mount from a plate to a "bathtub".

Last edited by ShouryLiu; 07-07-2019 at 08:18 AM.
ShouryLiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:27 AM   #6

BTW, The smallest pinion I ever tried was 14T(M06), and it seems there's no gap left between the motor and chassis, which means the pinion can not get any closer to the spur gear. Don't know if 12T pinion could have suitable backlash.
ShouryLiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Smaller pinion setup question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disadvantages of smaller spur and pinion? sim Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 03-31-2010 11:57 PM
smaller pinion quest solomon7 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 03-05-2008 05:56 AM
Smaller pinion question 4link4eva General Crawlers 6 02-06-2007 09:14 AM
smaller pinion Rooney7783 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 7 11-24-2005 08:14 PM