Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Spare parts CC01 w/portal w/AR44

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Spare parts CC01 w/portal w/AR44

I sold off a few of my CC01 projects leaving me with 3 on the shelf and a large box of leftover spare parts. Rummaging though, I've got most of a truck left in there. Time for another spare parts build? My spare parts SCX10 turned out to be one of my best performers, old crap or not. Not sure if I'm sold on this one though yet.

Just throwing some parts together as I dig them out of the box. Found some leftover stock front suspension pieces, and bolted on a set of portals from my CR01 box. Mounted all that to a chassis that has seen a lot of time with the Dremel.. Hmmm.

Started raiding some gears from another leftover chassis. Needed to figure out which way the output spun in relation to the portals. After all this work, realized I could have just looked at another CC01 on the shelf and figured it out.

And once having that sorted in the most complicated way ever, time for some rear axle shenanigans. An OG SCX10 axle would give me some great gear ratio options (2.75 would match the ratio up front exactly) but I'd have to mount it upside-down. Meh. The AR44 spins the right way, though the 3.75 ratio is too far off. Thinking some OD gears would bring it in the ballpark giving me 3.38 ratio and a roughly 23% OD up front. Hmmmm #2...

Body and wheel mockup.. could be quite an interesting little project. Hot babe on the tv is not impressed apparently.

Swapped over my skid and carrier bearing, and mocked up some random links to get about a 12" WB.

Axle width front and rear is pretty close - nothing that can't be tweaked with some hubs. Hmmm #3

I think this has some potential here. Not quite sure if I want to build this out or not.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Spare parts CC01 w/portal w/AR44

Please continue!
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Hell yeah man keep rollin with it. Looks like a good solid base to a kickass cc01 build. Looking forward to updates.
balln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:14 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Another great start! Should be a performer as well!
SFC K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

You talked me into it! Decided to build this out a bit... curious how the portals will work up front. Will be a slow, slow build.. I've got all winter to get it done.

Rear carrier bearing and skid installed. Really makes a difference in clearance in the center.

Xacto mini motor and 3:1 reduction - my go to CC01 power. Perfect for this chassis and gearing. Screw holes for the trans cover are shot - some I drilled out and used a nut on the bottom, some I used the CA trick to revive. Think it'll hold up ok. Maybe.

Front skid I have is way sloppy, will have to be replaced. The holes for the suspension pins are completely worn out - you can actually see the pins and how much space there is around them. This skid was used on a 2.2 build, and the stress from the larger tires just deformed the ABS.

I was tempted at this point to start robbing parts from CC01 #3, a kind of go fast Blazer, but there's a lot of unique parts here - lowering kit, front 1 way, etc. Didn't have the heart to tear it down. (I should finish it though!!)

Back to the mess, it's mostly a roller at this point though it still needs some tweaking. I used a set of Wraith front shock mounts, trimmed them down, sectioned them together and bolted them into the chassis to brace up the back and give me a place to mount some 80mm custom SCX10 shocks. It's got a great stance...

Great clearance for a CC01 chassis.

Maybe a little too much flex.

Cut up an old body for kinds of a stump back truggy look and mocked up some different wheels... not sure if I like it or not. I don't know what I want to do with the body yet. Something light and lexan or a hard body of some kind.. maybe a bobbed Yota?

In any case, not sure where to go from here. I need at least a front skid plate as what's on there is just not usable. The chassis itself has been shaved, sectioned, and used in several build iterations and it's got quite a few large stress cracks on it... probably should be replaced too. Not sure how much $$, if any I want to drop on this thing....plus have a CC02 on the way and a Trail King waiting in the wings. Hmmm...
Old 11-30-2019, 10:04 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Where did you get the portals? very cool.
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:01 AM   #7

wow very cool build, i love to see the cc01 is still on the game
marcosdo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:45 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezertdirt View Post
Where did you get the portals? very cool.
3Racing portal knuckles for the CR01. Long discontinued.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:19 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Another amazing start to a fine build! The Blazer should be finished as well! Love the look of both!
SFC K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:11 AM   #10

I'd like to see it with that lost body painted up. It could look mean.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:25 PM   #11

Where did you get that blazer body? I'd like one if they are available.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
bbeck006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:52 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

It's a Parma body, not sure if its still for sale or not.

Spare parts CC01 w/portal w/AR44 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rc4wd portal axles for axial ar44 axles scx10 ii soze General Crawlers 1 06-04-2019 02:12 AM
Arnel's spare time, spare parts, JKing. Arnel HPI Wheely King 19 12-04-2013 11:36 AM
spare parts,,spare tire rack,,, dezmoon Tamiya CR-01 4 09-10-2008 05:54 PM