Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Stock CC01 Capability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2020, 11:10 PM   #1

Default Stock CC01 Capability

Hey all,

I started looking at crawlers a week ago. I was initially looking at the Axial SCX 24, which is totally different than the CC01. I like the fact that it's only $120 at most retailers, so I don't have to drop a lot of money on something that I might not really get into. Then I started looking at the WPL CR24s because they were a little bit larger but were still very scale looking. I already have a 2.4ghz radio, lipo smart charger, and esc from my stadium truck, so a kit might not be a bad idea. Then I noticed the CC01 kits aren't that much more on Asiatees. All I would need is a battery and I would be set.

The only thing holding me back from a CC01 is its capability. They look much more scale and closer to a stock 4wd than the CR 24. However, will I be wanting more capability if I buy the cc01? Also, my budget is pretty set at the $150-200 max range. I get that there are a lot of nice 10th scale crawlers out there, but they're more than I want to spend right now.

Any advice between the three? How well does the cc01 do in stock form?
Wormbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2020, 11:01 PM   #2

Default Re: Stock CC01 Capability

CC01s are pretty fun all in all. They are great for mild trail runs. They are not really ment for crawling. That being said there are a lot of mods people have done to make them more capable.

If you want something that can handle more in terms of crawling maybe look to an SCX10.2 builder's kit. I think they are priced right at $200. You can buy that kit then budget for all the other needed items at a later time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
bbeck006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #3

The CC-01 is almost 30 years old now, I think. Its design goes way back to the early 90s. Those were the days of NiCad battery, mechanical speed control, and brushed motor. RCs have evolved a long way since then, designed to be stronger for more powerful brushless motor and high energy density lithium battery. By today's hobby standards, the CC-01 could be considered by some to be more of a toy grade. It does have its appeal as an old vintage car, and for people who like to tinker. A lot of aftermarket parts are out there as well.

Last edited by usert_l; 01-23-2020 at 05:30 PM.
usert_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:52 PM   #4

I have had brushless electronics in mine for most of its life (about 8 years) and had no problems. CC01s are definitely tough. I’ve treated mine like a basher even though they were not necessarily meant to be a basher. I’ve launched mine off jumps and nose dived into hard pack dirt and never broken a single part on mine. They are definitely tough.

The drivetrain is tough as well. I have never stripped any gears even when I put a 6.5 turn motor in for speed runs. Tamiya definitely designed the CC01 to be tough.

I currently have stock electronics back in since I purchased a few purpose built “bashers.” The CC01 is perfectly fun with the basic motor and speed control that comes with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbeck006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:25 PM   #5

I tell ya what, if you can extend your budget a little more, you could get the cc-02, it’s looks to be more capable and just as scale looking as the cc-01. If not, then the CC-01 can be made to be fairly capable, I’ll be posting pics of mine here pretty soon and I’ve gone pretty far down the rabbit hole with it.

GumpIsrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:33 PM   #6

That is good to know that the CC-01 can handle brushless motors. I don't plan to put that much motor in mine, but it's nice to know that it can handle the extra power. I am building mine to be a "scale" rig. I have the Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster 5-slot motor in it. It's not fast, but it starts up very smoothly. ESC I'm using is a Hobbywing 1080.
usert_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:28 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

CC01s are fun and I like the fact that you can change a lot I regards to performance upgrades. They will crawl with the right upgrades and modifications. The only weak point on the is the steering, but I have found that the Hot Racing upgrade steering is the best and come with bearings. I have 6 CC01s now and all are slightly different in upgrades.

I have a 1/24 scale crawler and fun they are, but are no where the same as a 1/10 scale. To get them to preform well, you still need to upgrade them. I think of you got a 1/24th scale first you would be discouraged from the RC experience altogether.

Here is one of my CC01s. It gets used a lot both scale riding and crawling.

SFC K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:19 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I wasn't too keen about CC-01 until I discovered that there is a lot you can do with this chassis. You can set it up for rally, crawling, trailing of combination of everything. Of course, the rally set up would require a different motor and suspension. As for crawling and trailing, same set up. You can slow build the CC-01 if you don't want to spend too much right away. I slow built mine (it was my late father's) when I dug it out from my parent's house storage. Took me more than 6 months to accomplish my goal. Experimented with different settings of the suspension until I got what I wanted by modifying the chassis.

First mods I would recommend is change the plastic bushings to bearings and upgrade the plastic lousy steering to aluminum (use either Yeah Racing or Hot Racing only and stay away from GPM or Xtra Speed).
Nicadraus is offline   Reply With Quote

Stock CC01 Capability - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CC01 stock springs raymate Tamiya XC/CC01 3 08-11-2014 06:56 AM
Capability? offroader 21 G-Made Crawlers 1 06-18-2012 01:14 PM
Stock CC01 shocks chino63 Tamiya XC/CC01 2 06-25-2011 08:04 AM
capability question ToyotaT Electronics 7 07-04-2006 02:47 PM
capability fuzzhead Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 12-05-2004 06:23 AM