Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: terminal flex

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2020, 02:45 PM   #1

Default terminal flex

I instaled a new 25kg servo on the old cc01 chasis. The old servo was enough on most situtions, but not all. Found a cheap servo in the web and gave it a go.

But I fear this new servo is too powerful, as it is obvious the whole chassis flexes. Not just the servo attachments but the whole car basically.

So my questio is: should I fear the chassis braking under the load?

I tried putting the link to the servo arm to a more centered position (no the furthest to the servo). It seems to be better now, but still too much.

What is the maximum safe servo power?
Is it possible to strenghten the chassis?
VRvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2020, 11:43 PM   #2

Default Re: terminal flex

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, personally. I’ve had a Savox 1210SG in mine before I nodded the steering and nothing broke except the bell crank arm that connects to the servo horn. It flexed the chassis a lot but as far as I can tell there was never any real harm. If you really don’t like it you can relocate the servo to the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GumpIsrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:11 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I think you will be fine. I would however add a brace to the servo mount back to the radio tray, I have done this by using a carbon fiber tie rod from a Traxxas kit I had laying around. It really stiffened up the mount and the servo did not move much after I did this. Other option is to just buy the metal servo mount. If you have a 3d Printer, Their is a file you can download off of Thingiverse that beefs up the servo mount as well. Just search CC01 and numerous files pop up. So the bottom line is you have options.
SFC K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:15 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Here is a picture of how I added a tie rod to the servo mount to strengthen it. It’s a really effective mod and cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2020, 06:29 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If you are twisting the chassis a lot, your end points need to be turned down!! There is some flex in the mount, but you should not be twisting the entire chassis.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:13 PM   #6

I might change the servo for a lesser one.

Today I snapped the thread on the plastic rod ends in the Yeah Racing steering linkage. Was the first outing with the new servo and new 80T motor. It lasted for about 3 minutes...

@SFC K many thanks for the picture. I see the tie rod. Seems like an improvement I will try.

@OSRC what do you mean by "your end points need to be turned down"? I don't understand that
Old 02-03-2020, 04:46 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

What OSRC is getting at is adjusting your servo end points, also known as EPA on your radio. Your servo is trying to turn your wheels beyond the max turning point of your rig and cant go further. Depending on type of radio you have, their are different ways to dial this back so the servo is not trying to turn beyond this point which is causing the chassis to flex.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:13 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRvander View Post
I instaled a new 25kg servo on the old cc01 chasis. The old servo was enough on most situtions, but not all. Found a cheap servo in the web and gave it a go.

But I fear this new servo is too powerful, as it is obvious the whole chassis flexes. Not just the servo attachments but the whole car basically.

So my questio is: should I fear the chassis braking under the load?

I tried putting the link to the servo arm to a more centered position (no the furthest to the servo). It seems to be better now, but still too much.

What is the maximum safe servo power?
Is it possible to strenghten the chassis?
I'm using a 20kg servo and it also flexes the chassis even with an aluminum servo mount installed. So what I did was reduced the exponential ratio of the servo to the allowed curve. The reason why the chassis flexes is because the servo gives too much curve over the allowed steering turn.

It's ok to use 25kg servo or even higher as long as you adjust the exponential to the proper curve.
Nicadraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:12 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

First off... When is it flexing?
When tires are bound against a rock?
When sitting on your desk and you steer all the way in each direction?
That's 2 different issues.
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #10

I have to thank you ALL for the help. I see it was really easy to solve.

As easy as fine-tunning the steering angle from the radio. It is working perfect now.

Can' wait for the weekend.

terminal flex - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hpi on terminal backorder.. stevem50 Paint and Body 40 02-28-2017 12:36 AM
Connecting BEC to ESC terminal With Caps robertjpjr Electronics 6 04-15-2015 08:59 AM
Tips to make soldering 3 wires to 1 Dean's terminal easier? shelljeep Electronics 28 02-03-2011 04:19 PM
Suspension and A Motor Terminal Question FlatwaterMG Duratrax Cliff Climber 2 01-12-2009 11:49 AM
Integy V10 Motors terminal aljeann Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 07-14-2008 01:50 AM