Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: My CC-02 G500 with a few mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2020, 03:12 PM   #1

Default My CC-02 G500 with a few mods

Hello, I thought I’d share my G-Class which I’ve been slowly upgrading over the past few months. I got it pre-built late last year and kept it standard for a while to get a feel for it. I’d had a couple of CC-01s in the past and was immediately impressed by how well it performed out of the box.

Soon the limitations of the stock tyres and open diffs were apparent, so it got stripped down, ballraced, a locked rear diff and some cheap eBay wheels and tyres that in hindsight were a little too wide. Still, trimming away some of the cracked lexan soon cured that.

A cheap high-torque metal gear servo and GPM linkage and servo saver has sharpened the steering a little, although there’s play on the servo saver or servo itself still. You get what you pay for, I suppose.

The tall, grippy tyres made it ridiculously easy to topple on tarmac even with a silver can inside, but make it so capable on the local trail. My biggest complaint is that there’s not enough weight low down, something that’ll be sorted with some beadlocks that are in the post.

Some dirt had made its way into the gears, so a strip down and rebuild was required. I locked the front diff and decided to make use of a spare 13.5t brushless system that was sitting in a toolbox. It’s way too fast for its own good now, even on the high torque ratio, but it’s proving entertaining for the moment. The drivetrain certainly seems up to it, though.

Now I’ve had some silly fun with it and the original shell is starting to die, I’m going to move back to it being a scale crawler. I picked up some smaller and narrower G-Made tyres and got the nasty black paint off the wheels to get a feel for the size.

Until the beadlocks turn up, I’ll keep the brushless system in, although I suspect the silver can will be going back in shortly. Long-term, a sensored brushless system with a 17.T motor that has worked so well in my Vaterra Ascender will be the answer. I’m also looking forward to a fresh shell at some point, anyone know if a decent dark metallic green?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ATJ4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2020, 08:29 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: My CC-02 G500 with a few mods

That looks like it's runs pretty decent. Nice to see you don't baby it. It's too bad they designed it with the battery in the back like that. I suppose it's good for scaling and light trailing, I just like crawling too much and that would take some work. I liked the looks of both tires you had on there.
andymac0035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:37 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Wow if this thing can handle brushless thats a decent improvement!

With the CC-01 I had issues just running 2S brushed though I was bashing it a bit because of the terrible gearing.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:56 PM   #4

Default My CC-02 G500 with a few mods

It certainly gets run hard! The battery location could certainly be better, but without relocating the servo and using a shorty pack, I’m not sure that’s doable.

No issues with brushless so far, although it’s only had 3 packs through it so far. Low speed control isn’t great but it really hauls itself up steep, dusty hills now. Gearing certainly isn’t as issue as I’m still on the standard pinion, albeit now steel. I’m not sure I’d like to try it with the ‘box in the high-speed gear configuration like this, however.

Last edited by ATJ4x4; 07-08-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:52 AM   #5

Good news, the beadlocks I ordered arrived. Bad news, I didn’t consider the bulky Tamiya step screws on the front uprights, and they don’t fit

The good news is that the beadlocks on my Ascender fit, but I’m not too sure I like the look...

Old 07-25-2020, 07:48 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I like the look of them.

They make flat-topped kingpin screws for the front up uprights. on the CC01... I wonder if you could use them on the CC02?... and then fit you new beadlocks?
andymac0035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:28 PM   #7

Cheers! Sadly even they won’t get the clearance I’ll need, although I think these wheels will stay. It’ll need a new shell by the end of the year so it’ll be sprayed to suit the wheels...

Unsurprisingly, the brushless motor proved a bit much for the standard propshaft. Upgrade from Yeah Racing in the post.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:38 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Kinda funny how you twisted the shaft and it doesn't look like you've used it enough to even begin egging out the yokes around the u joint pins.

What's your best guess as to the new weak link once you upgrade the driveshafts?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Kinda funny how you twisted the shaft and it doesn't look like you've used it enough to even begin egging out the yokes around the u joint pins.

What's your best guess as to the new weak link once you upgrade the driveshafts?

It’s almost certainly because I’ve got a very heavy throttle thumb! Axle and gearbox cogs look like they’re up to it, I’d guess the next thing to go will be the spur.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:50 PM   #10

I took the G with me to a local meet, and it performed rather well. Despite the tyres filling up with mud, traction was pretty good although I need to either lower the centre of gravity or fit a slower motor.

Still, the speed controller held up to a bit of water and it ran faultlessly. Well, almost...

My CC-02 G500 with a few mods - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G500-Powerwagon TOMS97ZJ Traxxas TRX-4 1 06-20-2020 08:44 AM
mercedes g500 Holloway Traxxas Crawlers 2 10-09-2019 09:47 AM
My g500 pics benztech Tamiya CR-01 9 11-17-2009 11:32 AM
scale mercedes G500 julian Videos! 4 09-20-2007 06:10 AM
Another G500 build inet27 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 05-20-2007 11:34 PM