Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CC-01 FJ Cruiser Black Edition Running Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2021, 10:31 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default CC-01 FJ Cruiser Black Edition Running Video

It's been years since I've been in this forum, but I had this video floating around of my CC-01 FJ Cruiser Black Edition that I thought was actually worth watching.

Not 100% stock, here's the list of things I have on the rig:
-RC4WD 4:1 GRU
-Tamiya M-Special Motor (short can, 3-slot motor, paired with the GRU, means no hacking of the chassis, very clean install)
-G-Made front bumper and side sliders
-1132 Design (my own hobby 3D printing/design company) Zero Ackerman 3D printed steering knuckle

Hoping to make a comeback to the R/C hobby and see if I can start making more functional 3D printed parts for us in the future.

Last edited by K.O.M.; 05-27-2021 at 01:54 PM.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2021, 07:12 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: CC-01 FJ Cruiser Black Edition Running Video

It looks really great! I'm happy so see videos of this old classic.

Edit: The Tamiya tires are too slick and hard. With some new proper crawler tires it's up to par.
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:04 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Very Nice!
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:56 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohanne View Post
It looks really great! I'm happy so see videos of this old classic.

Edit: The Tamiya tires are too slick and hard. With some new proper crawler tires it's up to par.
Yes, I agree, the tires are terrible. I have kept the tires on for the time being as I am refining the design of the zero-ackerman steering knuckles.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:49 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.M. View Post
Not 100% stock, here's the list of things I have on the rig:
-RC4WD 4:1 GRU
-Tamiya M-Special Motor (short can, 3-slot motor, paired with the GRU, means no hacking of the chassis, very clean install)
I use the same motor, scored 3 of them years ago. Run them with a 3:1 planetary reduction - absolutely perfect for a CC01 chassis.

I'm hoping to wear one out eventually and send it off to JRH for a rebuild and some zapping if he still does it.....though so far they've never given me a problem. Surprised no one has come out with anything similar over the years.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:48 PM   #6

Thanks for sharing this! I'm recently getting back into the RC hobby, and reminiscing about all the cool trucks I used to have, including a Tamiya CC-01 VW Touareg! While today's trail trucks are far more refined than the cars of yesteryear, I always enjoyed the kit aspect of the hobby, and Tamiya kits are(or were) so great! It would be fun to try to build a cc-01 to be a competent modern trail truck.
Cycle.Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:16 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I use the same motor, scored 3 of them years ago. Run them with a 3:1 planetary reduction - absolutely perfect for a CC01 chassis.

I'm hoping to wear one out eventually and send it off to JRH for a rebuild and some zapping if he still does it.....though so far they've never given me a problem. Surprised no one has come out with anything similar over the years.
Just want to get back to the short motor thing we have here. I also have 3 of them myself, 1 I've been rotating between various vehicles-an MF-01X, DF-01, and the CC-01-the other 2 are still in the package. I use the 4:1 reduction, and it's slow--if you run into a momentum section, like a sandy uphill, then you are picking her up.

I was thinking of getting the new Holmes Revolver Snubnose with a 3:1 reduction and 3S to get the best of both worlds. Seems like a good, bolt-on fix that is available to everyone without having to hack up the chassis.

What are your thoughts?
Old 07-31-2021, 04:38 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.M. View Post
Just want to get back to the short motor thing we have here. I also have 3 of them myself, 1 I've been rotating between various vehicles-an MF-01X, DF-01, and the CC-01-the other 2 are still in the package. I use the 4:1 reduction, and it's slow--if you run into a momentum section, like a sandy uphill, then you are picking her up.

I was thinking of getting the new Holmes Revolver Snubnose with a 3:1 reduction and 3S to get the best of both worlds. Seems like a good, bolt-on fix that is available to everyone without having to hack up the chassis.

What are your thoughts?
I run 3:1 and it's pretty much perfect for my CC01's on 2S - just enough speed and plenty of low end resolution. 2:1 was a little speedy still, and 4:1 was just as you said - slow, slow, slow. On a side note, I run the Xtraspeed planetary GRU - far, far stronger than RC4WD's multiple varieties by the way. Mine's much quieter than RC4WD's too.

I've also run a Holmes outrunner in both my CC01 and my 6x6 since the characteristics of it work well in higher geared vehicles. I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's a totally different motor, don't even think you'll need the GRU's, or at most a 2:1. While the mini Acto makes a lot of RPM that the GRU then gears down for torque, the outrunner does the exact opposite - loads of torque and not much RPM. Bumping the volts gets you some of the RPM back and insane torque.

I think it's a win! I ran mine a while ago with a few generations old motor/no GRU and it fit fine. The snubnose or team Revolvers should fit perfect with or without a GRU.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

CC-01 FJ Cruiser Black Edition Running Video - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Video with my CC-01 Black Metallic Edition madmob Tamiya XC/CC01 2 02-17-2019 10:17 PM
Axial Bomber King Of Hammers (Rc Edition) Running Video joerc2013 Scale Videos! 7 04-01-2016 08:07 PM
NHMaxx's 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser TT edition NHMaxx 1.9 Scale Rigs 18 09-10-2013 09:26 AM
Tamiya's New Toyota Land Cruiser CC-01 Black Body Special Edition HDMM General Scale Talk 0 05-24-2013 06:28 AM
FJ Cruiser SAS "Eff Jay" First Running Video heinie_21 Scale Videos! 2 03-14-2013 01:00 PM