RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya XC/CC01 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-xc-cc01/)
-   -   CC-01 FJ Cruiser Black Edition Running Video (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-xc-cc01/624440-cc-01-fj-cruiser-black-edition-running-video.html)

K.O.M. 04-14-2021 10:31 AM

CC-01 FJ Cruiser Black Edition Running Video

It's been years since I've been in this forum, but I had this video floating around of my CC-01 FJ Cruiser Black Edition that I thought was actually worth watching.

Not 100% stock, here's the list of things I have on the rig:
-RC4WD 4:1 GRU
-Tamiya M-Special Motor (short can, 3-slot motor, paired with the GRU, means no hacking of the chassis, very clean install)
-G-Made front bumper and side sliders
-1132 Design (my own hobby 3D printing/design company) Zero Ackerman 3D printed steering knuckle

Hoping to make a comeback to the R/C hobby and see if I can start making more functional 3D printed parts for us in the future.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SrFq934Djyk" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tjohanne 04-24-2021 07:12 AM

Re: CC-01 FJ Cruiser Black Edition Running Video

It looks really great! I'm happy so see videos of this old classic.

Edit: The Tamiya tires are too slick and hard. With some new proper crawler tires it's up to par.

HDMM 04-28-2021 06:04 AM

Very Nice!

K.O.M. 05-27-2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohanne (Post 6078444)
It looks really great! I'm happy so see videos of this old classic.

Edit: The Tamiya tires are too slick and hard. With some new proper crawler tires it's up to par.

Yes, I agree, the tires are terrible. I have kept the tires on for the time being as I am refining the design of the zero-ackerman steering knuckles.

OSRC 05-27-2021 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.O.M. (Post 6077309)
Not 100% stock, here's the list of things I have on the rig:
-RC4WD 4:1 GRU
-Tamiya M-Special Motor (short can, 3-slot motor, paired with the GRU, means no hacking of the chassis, very clean install)

I use the same motor, scored 3 of them years ago. Run them with a 3:1 planetary reduction - absolutely perfect for a CC01 chassis. "thumbsup"

I'm hoping to wear one out eventually and send it off to JRH for a rebuild and some zapping if he still does it.....though so far they've never given me a problem. Surprised no one has come out with anything similar over the years.

Cycle.Cats 06-02-2021 03:48 PM

Thanks for sharing this! I'm recently getting back into the RC hobby, and reminiscing about all the cool trucks I used to have, including a Tamiya CC-01 VW Touareg! While today's trail trucks are far more refined than the cars of yesteryear, I always enjoyed the kit aspect of the hobby, and Tamiya kits are(or were) so great! It would be fun to try to build a cc-01 to be a competent modern trail truck.

K.O.M. 07-26-2021 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSRC (Post 6082670)
I use the same motor, scored 3 of them years ago. Run them with a 3:1 planetary reduction - absolutely perfect for a CC01 chassis. "thumbsup"

I'm hoping to wear one out eventually and send it off to JRH for a rebuild and some zapping if he still does it.....though so far they've never given me a problem. Surprised no one has come out with anything similar over the years.

Just want to get back to the short motor thing we have here. I also have 3 of them myself, 1 I've been rotating between various vehicles-an MF-01X, DF-01, and the CC-01-the other 2 are still in the package:lmao:. I use the 4:1 reduction, and it's slow--if you run into a momentum section, like a sandy uphill, then you are picking her up.

I was thinking of getting the new Holmes Revolver Snubnose with a 3:1 reduction and 3S to get the best of both worlds. Seems like a good, bolt-on fix that is available to everyone without having to hack up the chassis.

What are your thoughts?

OSRC 07-31-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.O.M. (Post 6088462)
Just want to get back to the short motor thing we have here. I also have 3 of them myself, 1 I've been rotating between various vehicles-an MF-01X, DF-01, and the CC-01-the other 2 are still in the package:lmao:. I use the 4:1 reduction, and it's slow--if you run into a momentum section, like a sandy uphill, then you are picking her up.

I was thinking of getting the new Holmes Revolver Snubnose with a 3:1 reduction and 3S to get the best of both worlds. Seems like a good, bolt-on fix that is available to everyone without having to hack up the chassis.

What are your thoughts?

I run 3:1 and it's pretty much perfect for my CC01's on 2S - just enough speed and plenty of low end resolution. 2:1 was a little speedy still, and 4:1 was just as you said - slow, slow, slow. On a side note, I run the Xtraspeed planetary GRU - far, far stronger than RC4WD's multiple varieties by the way. Mine's much quieter than RC4WD's too.

I've also run a Holmes outrunner in both my CC01 and my 6x6 since the characteristics of it work well in higher geared vehicles. I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's a totally different motor, don't even think you'll need the GRU's, or at most a 2:1. While the mini Acto makes a lot of RPM that the GRU then gears down for torque, the outrunner does the exact opposite - loads of torque and not much RPM. Bumping the volts gets you some of the RPM back and insane torque.

I think it's a win! I ran mine a while ago with a few generations old motor/no GRU and it fit fine. The snubnose or team Revolvers should fit perfect with or without a GRU.