Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Goin' CC: A Touareg Joins the Clan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2005, 01:12 PM   #21
Say hello to my dactylion

I didn't like that touareg body untill I saw those paint jobs...
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2005, 02:49 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Well, a few battery pack latter (man does this thing drive for a long time on a 3300mah pack!!!), and I've managed to score some photographic proof of dirt and mud.

My girly managed to crack the body on both front corners (where the orange goes black right under the headlights), so I think some HEAVY trimming is coming up soon.

Anyways, show time..........................
Attached Images

bRIBEGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:53 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

And a few more....................

All driven into.............

And all driven out off..............
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2005, 02:57 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

The day was bizzarre and kept swapping between warm and sunny, and cold and rainy. Made for some interesting driving swapping between dirt, rock, mud, grass, gravel, wood chips, and whatever else I could find.

Had some issues trying to keep my girlfriend from submerging the thing in water since she saw some of those crazy-ass RCCrawler TWARG videos...........
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2005, 02:58 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Another fun one.........................

I dig this pic................
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2005, 02:59 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

And the best pic of the day................and my new desktop background..........
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2005, 03:37 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Took out the truck again and got it muddy as muddy seems to get.

Question for those of you who are running the CC-01 chassis...............

Any suggestions on an easy way to clean this thing?

With that crazy complex tub chassis it took me FOREVER to get the dirt and mud and rocks and junk out. Any simple tricks?
Old 05-29-2005, 03:12 PM   #28
2006 2.2 National Champ

I use compressed air to clean mine, hit it lightly with a couple bursts of the air gun.

Nice scaler BTW.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 10:25 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Compressed air................tried that.

Me thinks just have too much crap all over the truck. Oh well.

Finally got a video together.........................

http://www.rcpics.net/img/58024
Old 10-16-2005, 02:00 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Well, I figured I'd ressurect a dead thread instead of starting a new one, since my TWARG has found new life, and some new shoes.

Managed to track down some new steel gears for the rear axle/diff (man, what a pain in the *** that was) finally.

(Ya, that was a thread in-and-of-itself: Touareg Axle Issues)

So, those got installed with a wack-load of grease, and some extra washers, spacers and E-clips to try and keep the gear mesh a little bit tighter/more consistant.

Fingers crossed.

After a good few months of bashing this thing, I figured it was time to step-up to a better pair of shoes. The stock Tamiya rims/tires look the part, but really..................any rubber this hard should just be called "plastic"!

So, a wee bit of research later, and I decide on a set of PRO-LINE DIRT HAWG III front buggy tires. Same width as the stock Tamiya treads, and about the same hight (maybe 1-2mm higer). The tread seems a little more aggressive however, and hey, they're Pro-Line so ya know the rubber compound will rule!

Tracked down a simple set of Kyosho 5 spoke rims, and narrowed them to the width of the tires. Skinnied the tire foams up by cutting them in half, and then notched them with the ever-so-popular "Star" pattern.

A couple of minutes and a little bit of CA later, and the Pumkin Twarg Returns! Haven't had her out yet, but here's a few pics none the less.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2005, 03:41 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Man that looks good with the new shoes. Is that kit disco'ed already? Haven't seen one at the LHS in a while.
thaclodking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:43 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

That thing is freakin' sweet. You have inspired me to look into that body for my TLT. Thanks
mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:32 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

thaclodking, no I don't think Tamiya has axed this kit yet. They seem to be a little bit hard to find occasionally though (and parts for them, or any CC-01 chassis can be a nighmare to find). It's a shame they haven't caught on more, the Touareg is one of my favorite RC's to drive ................ which sucks, 'cause technicly it belongs to my girlfriend!

mikhail, ya it's a neat body. It can come out looking like a monstrosity or a masterpeice depending on the paint and stickers. I always thought they were kinda ugly untill I saw the paint job done by rbgerrish (which I subsequently based mine on). These bodies are hard to find, though (like those from most Tamiya kits). Part # is 1825296 if you'r gonna track one down.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:47 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

That looks really nice.

Bbut I would be acheing to drop in a brushless system.

One of those things just looks like it should be gliding across the desert. I guess they crawl decently?

Never thought the pajero or XC chassis was much of a crawler, I guess they're scale, and very well scaled.
USATorque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:27 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

No they aren't much good as crawlers but going over steep climbs, pebbles, roots, loose dirt, and sand they are really fun, that is why they are trail rigs not rock crawlers.

Oh and another wheel tire combo that works really well is narrowed 3-piece ae beadlocks with pro-line dirt hawgs. They are really wide and offer good floatation in sand, I'll try to get pics up for ya.
moonbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:44 PM   #36

Hello,
This Thread has sparked a new truck for me. Was going to build a 2.2 Clod but the cost is going to be sky high so now I have turn my idea of my next and maybe last truck to a Twarg. I have two TLT's and I would like a trail truck to play with.

On the kyosko wheels do you have a part number for them.
I am think of running that combo on a set Proline Dirt Hawgs I & III.
I am going to put the wider buggy rear tire on the back of the truck.
Thank you for the help
Dave
dragracer72nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:15 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

For "true" rock crawling, these things obviously won't hold a torch to a Clod, or TLT rig. For trail driving, and "Trials" type run, though, they are truely fantastic.

For pure "Fun", the CC-01 chassis is really hard to top. Not to mension, they are pretty cheap, and perform ver well with stock low-end electronics. And they're tough as nails!

While a brushless set-up might be fun for a while, USATorque55, I'm sure you'd quickly find the motor would be far to much for the rigs "scale" handling characteristics.

dragracer72nova, the part number for the rims is: 92545BK

They are "Kyosho 5-Spoke Front Low Profile Rims". Tower doesn't seem to be dealing with Kyosho anymore, but I'm sure your LHS can get them in. Mine were dirt-*** cheap.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:08 AM   #38

Hello,
I will be getting a Tamiya Pajero. I won it off of ebsy so I will be dooing some work on it. I have been looking for shocks for it what do you think would be good ones to put on it. The truck that I am getting has been "lifted" with longer shocks. I am just looking to see what will be good for it. I plan on running a different body on it maybe something from Parma(pickup truck).
Thank you for the help and sparking my interest in these trucks
Dave
dragracer72nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:37 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

for a stock rig, this one's hard to beat. mine's still got the silver can and the Tamiya ESC. for anyone interseted, a Savage bumper bolts right on and looks 100% better than the abortion Tamiya gives you in the kit.

my drivetrain is noisy as hell but i still get 20 minutes out of a 1700 pack.

just the ticket for when your crawler is on the workbench!
Attached Images

microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:28 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

microgoat, I totaly agree. For straight-up outta-the-box-fun, anything rockin' the CC-01 chassis is hard to beat. I've got the stock silver can and Tamiya ESC in mine too, and have had no issues.

And that Savage bumper looks great! Good idea..............far better then the Tamiya one (heck, mine never even made it onto the rig).

dragracer72nova: for shocks, I'd see if you can just track down some stock Tamiya oil shocks. If you can find 'em, they tend to be pretty cheap and work well (Tamiya C.V.A. "Mini" Shocks http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGK11&P=7).