Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi 1/10th scale crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

thanks. Whew, a lot of info to take in!
RCKSQRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #22
Rock Stacker

Default crawl ratio

Ok-

Rick just replied to a question for me but I need more clarification. I was asking about the crawl ratio on this and he stated 25:1 at the axle. Now I know in 1:1 it is gearing in the axle X transmission X transfer case to get the final crawl ratio.
I have sen the videos and damn 25:1 is not very slow for a 1:1 but it seems quite slow for a RC crawler.

is it the electric motor I am not taking into consideration or ????

thanks
Old 05-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #23
RCC Addict

so what is the final drive ratio on your teams 1:1?
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #24
Rock Stacker

guessing theirs is the same as my toy, around 223:1. (thinking formula toy)

thats dual t-cases with 4.7 in the rear

Last edited by RCKSQRL; 05-27-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #25
Rock Stacker

not sure what Todds is, he is running a toyota motor, chevy 2.8 TBI, volvo turbo, turbo 350 transmission and an atlas transfer case. Diamond axles with custom 9" With the auto overall crawl ratio is not as big of an issue as you have the slip of the torque converter.

just spoke with him and he is around 67-68:1 on his comp rig.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Now that you got it, on these crawlers its as simple of changing the pinion gears to adjust the final drive ration. The speed control and the rpms are what we use as clutch and /or torque converter. these are not pullers and wheel speed varies depending on what you like. Some guys like enough to balloon the tires while others like to creep along.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

thanks that is kind of what I was thinking once I started wrapping my head around it.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Is this rig available? And is it as good as thet claim? I'm stuck between an AX-10 90001 kit and the Losi for my first rig, as I want something that can be very competitive, and not change rigs as I get more into it. In other words buy it right the first time. Any input is welcome.
As far as it being as good as they claim... Its coming from a manufacturer. So you can take it with a grain of salt. I would guess that its gonna be a really good, very competative rig, but only time will tell.
As far as the Axial, remember, Losi's only entry to the rock crawlin circuit has been the Mini Rock Crawler (I have one, and it needs ALOT of work out of the box to be even considered o.k.) While on the other hand, Axial has been in the game for a while now, and has loads and loads of experience with building things right.
The Losi does have some killer new technology on board, but will it work like its supposed to, time will tell. If it does, there isn't going to be any better starting point for a crawler out there.

So, my advice, if you really want to get crawlin now, go get a decent AX10 ARTR, or MRC, and wait and see for the Losi Comp Crawler. By getting into it now, you learn alot about how to drive, and what crawlers need as far as setups go. This will significantly shorten your learning curve.

Good luck

Darryl
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #29

Thumbs up Getting my Losi today!!!

I can't freakin' wait!! I'm going to wake up the owner of Performancerchobbies and get mine this morning! They're givin' away G8 Chisels with em for $299!
Check this shiz out! http://www.performancerchobby.com/
Shizanester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Don't be too tough on me guys........I bought a Berg......
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Don't be too tough on me guys........I bought a Berg......
Me to
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failedabortion View Post
Me to
well why wait for the unknown? you guys went with a winner so dont worry, if you gotta go with the slosi truck then I will buy your bergs. Problen solved.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I liked the Venom Creeper when it came out........And was super disappointed with it's performance from others. I was teetering between the Berg and the AX-10.....Then I finally realized I would not be satisfied with the AX-10 as I almost drooled when I'd see a Berg. You got to get what you really want, or it will cost you later when you go buy that too.
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #34
Holdin my 40oz.

I have seen the Losi in action and it is great! The team driver I know ( who is also one of the designers) has been thrashing his for months now on stock form with no issues to really speak of, now that they got a few of the earlier bugs worked out. It is very durable and will most definitely be my next comp rig.
Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #35
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcolor View Post
As far as the Axial, remember, Losi's only entry to the rock crawlin circuit has been the Mini Rock Crawler (I have one, and it needs ALOT of work out of the box to be even considered o.k.)
Are you serious? You think the MRC need a lot of work to be ok? A stock MRC will go places a comp 2.2 won't! I think you need to stop giving advice on things you don't know about........
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
Are you serious? You think the MRC need a lot of work to be ok? A stock MRC will go places a comp 2.2 won't! I think you need to stop giving advice on things you don't know about........
Ummmm. I have a MRC. A stock MRC might make it more places than a 2.2 for about 3 minutes until the stock lockers give out. Then, once you replace those, and rework the electronics, motor/trans, get tires and wheels (depending on whether or not you do the beadlock conversion on the stock wheels). And then your gonna need to do something about those shocks/springs to bring the truck down to a ride height that will allow it to sidehill anything more than a 15 degree rock without tipping over, so internal limiters on them, and then since it only comes with 30wt oil and you have them apart anyway, you might also want to put some 50wt in it. Then, once you get all that buttoned up, figure out at least a 4 link rear to keep the articulation in check. Then, once you get all that done, you learn real quick that it wont turn very tight, especially while crawling its way up anything but a straight hill. So, you decide your gonna pull the servo saver off the rig, and run it without. You make it about 10ft of crawlin around your house before it fails disasterously. So you throw on a 645 (or comparable) servo. Then, you might be one of the few whos ESC doesnt fry with the larger servo on it. Then again, it may well go, at which point, its time for a tekin b1r, FXr, Micro sidewinder, et al... Then you get out crawlin get bound up and try to power your way out, and you dont have the juice, so its off to Holmes Hobbies, et al... to get a new motor. Got it all dialed in, great. Take it out, twist the shafts.

After all of that, you are finally able to get out and do some good crawlin with it without fear of it breaking. Trust me on this, I know. I have one.
And yes, thats the cheap way of going about it, and then you can run with most 2.2's (comp rigs excluded).

Not that everyone has that many problems, and not that I did. I have run with a few 2.2's and while I can get into tighter places, the bigger the rocks and the more open the course, they get a huge advantage, and not that the stock MRC is a bad rig (notice in my last post that I gave the advice to go purchase one... Hmmmmmmmm). And yes, the MRC will go places a 2.2 wont. Kinda like saying a skinny chick can get through doors a fat girl cant. Kinda a no brainer there.

I love my MRC, have taken the time to work on it, build it, modify it, and run it. I would say that my MRC would run fine with most 2.2s, and with only a few fairly cheap mods, I think its comp ready. Yes, I can go places no 2.2 can. I got a little course not far from my house that no 2.2 (F/R dig, 4WS, and God driving) could get through. But thats because there just isn't any room for a 2.2.

I did mention I have a MRC didnt I...?

So when I say that the MRC will be O.K. dont get me wrong. Maybe I mistated, and should have said that it would be a good, competant crawler. Or, O.K. worked well for me at the time.

And all that stuff above, still wont get your comp ready. Dont believe me, take a box stock MRC to a comp and see how far you make it. I cant tell you how many new people come into the MRC forum and always ask why they have 3 wheel drive. Or why there MRC wont work (due to servo/esc failure). The list goes on. You can take a stock MRC and do alot of free mods that really really make it better, but at the end of the day, being better than O.K. takes some work... or should I say, being better than GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRReat! takes some work...

Love ya kenny!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darryl
Old 05-28-2009, 07:15 PM   #37
Who's your Daddy-0!

Or you could tighten the servo saver on the servo for better steering. Run your shocks droop to bring the CG down. Move the battery and the ESC up front. Tires are ok. Lower the body down on the chassis by making new holes. Loosen the slipper on the tranny so you don't break the lockers....I've never broke one on any of the 4 I've had. You can run a lipo for more wheel speed. About everything you would have to do to a Axial from stock.....lower the CG, better wheels and tires, move the battery and elect, shocks, ect..... It takes 20 minutes to make a MRC a pretty capable little rig.

I've seen the new Losi first hand. It's a sick stock rig! I'll stand behind that it will beat anything out of the box aside from a Berg.....and with a good driver I think it will hang with a Berg.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

I'm really excited to see the new comp crawler in the hands of the general public. I would love to get one, and once other poeple have, and the "bugs" are worked out in it, I'm gettin one.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

just build a berg
aquatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatek View Post
just build a berg
How? when all the Ver. 1 axles are gone & no more parts?
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote