Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: broke a cvd already

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default broke a cvd already

less than 10 minutes of driving and a cvd shaft snapped in half. not the pin but the actual shaft. not happy to say the least. rich can you do anything about this?
kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikcaffine View Post
less than 10 minutes of driving and a cvd shaft snapped in half. not the pin but the actual shaft. not happy to say the least. rich can you do anything about this?
My guess is he would but he did mention he will be away for the weekend. Something about a softball turnoment.
moes670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
wow that sucks. im really starting to regret preordering a first batch truck....
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Im sure there will be a few probs here and there with the first batch. But they wont be anything Rich and the guys cant fix or make right. Rich is on here to help us and has done so already.
I dont regret anything, this is a freakin sweet rig right out a the box. Just go thru it a bit and double check things to make sure there right

So be patient guys, you have a comp ready rig in your hands. So dont throw stones just yet.
Rocksmith Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:

Can you tell us more about what you were doing when it broke? Was it bound up, using dig, hard fall... hard to judge what could have caused it without knowing what you were doing.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
DBR
Quarry Creeper

And also remember, this is unlike any drive train we have ever driven. I say, take things slow. Practice first then bash second. Rich even said that you will have to relearn driving for this rig since it is so different.
DBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

not throwing stones, just beginning to get frustrated and i havent even finished my truck yet. the worst part is I just tore down a very capable axial comp truck to go scaler with it because the losi was gonna be here friday. now i have a scaler thats not finished and im very concerned that the gear i have on hand isnt gonna work for my new comp truck... and i dont have a brushless system laying around. I know Rich and the guys will take care of everyone's issues, just as they have with every other car and truck they've released. During the 7 years i managed a hobbytown and the 20 years of racing prior to that, Losi has been by far the best when it comes to handling issues and helping their customers.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
not throwing stones, just beginning to get frustrated and i havent even finished my truck yet. the worst part is I just tore down a very capable axial comp truck to go scaler with it because the losi was gonna be here friday. now i have a scaler thats not finished and im very concerned that the gear i have on hand isnt gonna work for my new comp truck... and i dont have a brushless system laying around. I know Rich and the guys will take care of everyone's issues, just as they have with every other car and truck they've released. During the 7 years i managed a hobbytown and the 20 years of racing prior to that, Losi has been by far the best when it comes to handling issues and helping their customers.

Just some food for thought, but these are brand new, 1st run trucks here! Like every other rig out there, all the parts in the truck need a break in period. Either do that with your gear or as some others have posted up use a drill to spin the axles for a few minutes. Tear it down, lube it and loctite everything, put your gear in and match the gearing, then break everything in. For the first month or so I am going to be running a motor heatsink with a fan on it to help keep the motor cool as everything breaks in.

It's hard to say anything unless we know what was going on when the CVD broke. ANYTHING will break if you push it hard enough. Like you said, Losi will take care of the customers.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Its broke during an off camber uphill climb. Dont believe it was bound up or anything.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Its broke during an off camber uphill climb. Dont believe it was bound up or anything.

Thanks! Hmm that seems odd. Wonder if it could be related to a loose CVD pin... ie it came loose while you were driving and then boom.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I dunno, i had loctited the setscrew holding the pin.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

My rear driveshaft pin fell out when I was setting my end points, so I check all the cvd's and some needed the pin set screw tightend. My slipper cluch slips alot when going onto small rocks. I think it is just that it needs break in time. Unless you guys know how to tighten it up some? I'm running HB rovers w/7 1/2oz each front and 3 1/2oz each rear does that seem ok. I dont know it all new to me going from an Axial, but damn do I love how bad ass this thing looks.
MISFITCOMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedcrawler View Post
For the first month or so I am going to be running a motor heatsink with a fan on it to help keep the motor cool as everything breaks in.
already done it... lol. the associated TC3 heatsink/fan fits nicely if you cut most of the fins off. Its a really tight fit. I may just mount the fan up to some scrap lexan and go without the heatsink.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

My slipper was like that, I tightened it up because it got frustrating that it couldn't even climb up a wall.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
My slipper was like that, I tightened it up because it got frustrating that it couldn't even climb up a wall.
RIGHT! Thats the one thing that pissed me off, but I love the truck its bad ass. I'll tighten up mine in a few. Watching paint dry right now.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:53 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Nice to see the losi out, still waiting on mine.

It seems to be plagued by the same intial issues the creeper was getting bashed about when it was first released..lol

No loctite, pins falling out, leaky shocks, cvd's breaking...and this is just from the few that post on here, not counting the thousands that have shipped world wide and the owners dont post here.

I got lucky and got a creepr from a later batch, no issues...so I hope my losi is not from one of the first batches when it arrives..fingers crossed.
Dark8ngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #17
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Bummer about this. Shoot me an email @ rtrujillo@losi.com or PM me here. I'll get you taken care of.

I'll try and get back later today.

Thanks,
Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

hahaha, wasnt it last tuesday or wednesday that people were saying, "it's been so long! I can't wait! damn, my LHS didn't order soon enough, I won't be part of the first batch!" now a couple days later it's "I'm regretting getting a first batch rig." or "I hope mine isn't one of the first batch"

no first run of anything is going to be flawless. you wanted it to be out quickly, but now you're wishing they had waited to make it better? which is it?

this isn't a miracle rig, tho it is one of the best stock rigs available, shocking that it's first mass release has slight oversight problems like a couple screws loose or missing lock-tite.

rich said don't run anything slower than 35t, tho the drivers have been using 21.5t, so don't be surprised when your 45t smokes.

for the CVD pin problem, put a ring around it, wa-la, it'll stay in.

and CVDs break all the time and are a weak point on just about any rig, Jake has broken them on every rig I've seen him run (quite epically a few times), get extras, have tools nearby, fix it when it happens.

give them some time to work out the kinks, everyone agrees Losi is awesome, so trust them to take care of it. bringing up issues in a productive way so they know what to take care of is fine, but it seems like people are kind of bitching a little bit...
sorry christmas morning was so disappointing, but just because santa overlooked the Double-As that went in that most wanted toy, doesn't mean that it won't be as awesome as you hoped once you get it straightened out

Last edited by Del Montess; 05-30-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Del Montess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Oh I completly agree, I knew that there would be potential issues, but honestly I wanted it first!!! Im going to pick up some shrink wrap and wrap the CVD pins (old 1/10th racing trick ) which will prevent them from being ejected.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

I'm not bitching at all. I'm glad I got first batch. I can have it brock in before most people get theirs. I wasn't shocked when I found loss ends, thats what happens. Even though it's just little things that are wrong with it is still an amazing rig.