Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
RcBros Hobbies

Default RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!!

Had the G/F pick mine up this afternoon while I was at work, now the fun begins! I'm first starting out by taking many hi-res pics which can be found HERE These include it out of the box, and as I tear down, will show the axle and trany internals, and later this evening RTR.

Specs will be:
Airtronics 94780M Steering Servo
Losi MSX12 Dig Servo
Tekin FXR ESC
Castle BEC
Mini Puller Motor

The only sad part is I'm stuck with my DXS3 which doesn't have a 3 position dig switch, so I got to figure that out I originally planned to run my Axial as well for a side by side comparison but it's chassis is stuck in the USPS van somewhere

On to my first thoughts:

Holy Axle Clearance Batman! The worm drive axle really does give you some serious clearance, not being able to force my tires to spin by hand is something I'll get use to. But you can see the difference next to my G/F's Axial.

The pivotable shock mounts are something new to me as well, interesting concept!

Stay tuned for more this evening... And video tomorrow!
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
www.team3sixrc.com

I am very intrested in seeing how this holds up. Looking forward to more. whats the price tag?
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
I am very intrested in seeing how this holds up. Looking forward to more. whats the price tag?
You and me both, honestly if you want something broke give it to me and odds are it'll break it.. I'm just way to hard on stuff, so I'm hoping this is the ticket! I believe shops are selling them for right around $289 give or take $20 or so.

-------------------------------------------------------

O.K.. I've got the axle taken apart to see the inside, here is what we have.

I'm not really impressed with how the lockouts are setup. The bearings don't really sit in a recess and instead are gapped by a set of spacers.. If it holds up more power to them, but kinda strange.

Initial Impressions:
Links: Look killer, rod ends look beefy and the rods are tappered and have a nice slick coating, nice touch!

Hardware: Why can't losi be like everyone else use the standard .5 pitch hardware.

Shocks: Killer as always, come out of the box pretty soft, I see myself stiffening them.

Tires: Why skimp out on the foams, you made a good crawler put some good foams in it, you should know your crawler will suck unless you got a good set of meats underneath it. Luckily I have some memory foams here.

Body: Killer! Now who wants to paint it for me?

Trany: Interesting, I think I'll wait to take this apart

Axles: Way to try something new! Ground clearance is amazing, time will tell whether they last or not and how they wear, but i'm liking the idea. I'm going to leave the stock lube up front and my special stuff in the rear to see if one wears more then the other.
O and wow is there some gear reduction going on!

Driveshafts: CV driveshaft is pretty neat, they look strong but the pins do not, I'm crossing my fingers they last at least a battery pack. Double set screws (both provided) is nice as well!

Apparently I got a kit that got lock tight on the drivelines, but during tear down, a set screw came out of nowhere.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The stock Losi foams rock. Shoot me a PM if you want to get rid of them.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
www.team3sixrc.com

it really looks tough which is suprising to me because of the issues since Gil left. Horizon has a habit of just pushing it down your gullet until your chocking up parts. look at the Mini t line. How the hell many different or should I say same kits can there be? But I'll be sticking on this thread. more pics when you get the chance please. because right now I am on the fence and really wondering how capable of a crawler it can be.

by the way i still like RC4WD's work gear set up better,lol. waiting for that to come out in full effect.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:54 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Looking forward to the complete tear down and your thoughts on the performance. Hopefully it'll hold up to your abuse.
jnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:47 AM   #7
RcBros Hobbies

Well its 12:00am now, just got the electronics in, need to center both dig and steering servos and it'll be ready.. Paint is done too! Will get more pics tomorrow. If your looking for anything in particular please let me know!
Old 05-31-2009, 01:49 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I am interested in how the FXR works on your rig. I havn't ordered my electronics yet, but am wanting to sooooon! :-P. I will watching this closly.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70duncan View Post
I am interested in how the FXR works on your rig. I havn't ordered my electronics yet, but am wanting to sooooon! :-P. I will watching this closly.
Last tekin I had was a Rebel 2, I started running Castle Creations stuff and haven't looked back, but I wanted my crawler to go on a diet so trying something new.

---------------------------------

RTR rig weights 4lbs 1oz. Thats with battery and body mounted with wheels and tires. LIGHTT!!!!

Here she is RTR for todays crawlin, alittle heat from the heat gun and the lexan bends rather easy.

I'm really liking how the electronics went end, I managed to fit the FXR, RX and BEC all on the rear plate, but the weight bias still seems all up front, even with no weight in the wheels.

Tightening the motor gear mesh is a great idea, but access to it once in the rig kinda sucks, and I don't see the plastic tightening it down lasting very long. Flex is also a concern of mine.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Looks Good . All the electronics fit nicely. Can't wait for the video.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
RcBros Hobbies

Well the crawler does pretty good but wasn't able to run it much due to heat issues. The HH cobalt puller 454 just won't work in this crawler, so i'm having to look into different options.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
RcBros Hobbies

Here's some pics from todays run.. Video is uploading now

On a side note, I took out the Puller and installed a 18T Axiom motor I had laying around for my MF2 with a 16t pinion.. Wheel speed is kablamo! I was just about to go crawl, moved about 2 feet and snapped the front driveshaft pin, loosing all the bits and pieces in the grass. With less then 30minutes on this rig I'm pretty disapointed! I'm constantly breaking the front CVD pins and driveshafts on my axial, I don't need another rig to do the same thing.

Did some tinkering and with some help a traxxas slider will work on the losi slider. So I mated the two together and will see what happens, hopefully I can atleast test my motor temps.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:14 PM   #13
RcBros Hobbies

Well I'm about to throw this thing as far as my axial went last week lol. The driveshaft pins don't stay in for beans, I will be shrink wrapping them ASAP.

I thought everything was fine when I went to go run the LCC with my new motor combo, as I started to drive I heard a ticking noise, (like the old playing card in a bike tire) I couldn't pin point the noise so ran it for about 60seconds.. Picked it up and touched the output shaft of the pinion and it was hitting 180*. WTF!

I brought it inside and it was hardly greased, if losi knew this was going to be an issue, you think they would have put more in there!! So I went ahead and added a heaping load of my own lube.

Noise is still there and its coming from the trany! I'm fed up and calling it a day, spent all night putting it together and all day wrenching on a brand new rig, WTH! I know it'll be a good rig, but come on losi, talk about releasing the ball before the whistle was blown.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:18 PM   #14
RcBros Hobbies

Video of Todays run can be found here:
Old 05-31-2009, 08:35 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Nice Video. I bet you do well in comps with low time limits You are movin out with that truck! Speedy
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:04 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcBro View Post
Well I'm about to throw this thing as far as my axial went last week lol. The driveshaft pins don't stay in for beans, I will be shrink wrapping them ASAP.

I thought everything was fine when I went to go run the LCC with my new motor combo, as I started to drive I heard a ticking noise, (like the old playing card in a bike tire) I couldn't pin point the noise so ran it for about 60seconds.. Picked it up and touched the output shaft of the pinion and it was hitting 180*. WTF!

I brought it inside and it was hardly greased, if losi knew this was going to be an issue, you think they would have put more in there!! So I went ahead and added a heaping load of my own lube.

Noise is still there and its coming from the trany! I'm fed up and calling it a day, spent all night putting it together and all day wrenching on a brand new rig, WTH! I know it'll be a good rig, but come on losi, talk about releasing the ball before the whistle was blown.
Don't forget to heat shrink the outputs at the trans too. I spent about 15 minutes looking for my pin after it fell out when I was breaking it in using a drill. I'm glad I didn't loose it on the rocks.
P1choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:27 PM   #17
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Nice Video. I bet you do well in comps with low time limits You are movin out with that truck! Speedy
The motor was half the reason for this, got alot of cogging and not wanting to move period with low speeds. Tires didn't hook up the best either and I found at this crawling spot speed is your friend more so then a slow crawl. Typically I'm slow though lol.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #18
RcBros Hobbies

So my trany noise was a gear mesh issue, I even tried the paper truck but even that was to tight, after playing with it for many mintues I think I found a combo thats loose enough to be quiet yet tight enough not to strip. what a PITA!

Now I can atleast drive it with my axail/losi hybrid front driveshaft so I can test motor temps.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

well i think i will give the losi a miss???

axial ftw!
red_zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:53 PM   #20
RcBros Hobbies

Well I got the system in and ran it, the clicking noise I originally heard is from the front center CVD, what is causing it I cannot tell, I've taken it apart and cannot find anything out of the ordinary but when it hits a certain angle at rotation something is causing it to tick.. While I was at it, I decided to inspect the rear and noticed the output section that holes the pin had cracked!! WTH! Luckily the output has 2 sets of holes, so I put the rear center in the front and I'm now using an axial center for the rear.

The goat is working out pretty well, diffs are at 80* and motor is staying at 100*