Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: The reason CVD's are breaking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by APESHAT View Post
'They' definitely overlooked the Stress factor on the machining of these shafts! 4.5 mm inner shaft necked down to 3 +/-mm ? obviously the 45* steering spec got in the way of fixing that from the start. . .
If you look at the manual- ALL the part #s are ' LOSA ' = made here, U.S.A. + assembled overseas. . .it's not China's fault.
Plenty of talented minds are @ work on this- just a matter of time.

This is why I'm not worried about some issues at first, Rich has a good crew behind him.

Well this I was unaware of, BUT can you confirm the material was made here and not overseas? China steel is cheap crap and is known for not being consistent or of any form of quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Don't let anyone fool you. Even if a product has the "Made in USA" sticker on it doesn't mean it was made here. The company I used to work for got the main part of the item from an overseas manufacturer and added some things to it and slapped the US sticker on it. Not to mention India and China are putting out some garbage steel and aluminum stock and products.

They could have over hardened the parts also, leaving them not only thin but brittle as well. Put some twist on it and it shatters like glass.

Yup, sad but true how this can happen. Like I said in the industry I work in, I have had to evaluate using a Chinese fabricator before. The Chinese can't keep 1 grade of steel consistent between plants, much less offer anything that is an equivalent to any USA made steel.

But then again, with more beef or more of a radius this could have been a moot point.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #22
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

I'm sure China buys a good amount of steel from us. What they do with it when it gets there...who knows.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
I'm sure China buys a good amount of steel from us. What they do with it when it gets there...who knows.
Probably make there military apparatus out of so it will hold together.
Kevin
husky385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post

Most that I know of is made into die cast molds to sell us crap back
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

I thought there was a law change that prevented you from companies from putting a "Made In USA" sticker on their products if some parts were sourced from other countries. I know Novak had issues with that since they sourced China for some of the chips and there was a huge thing about sending the items back and what not. I may have misinterpreted that also. Does anyone know if Losi is working on a fix?
Knytemare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedcrawler View Post
This is why I'm not worried about some issues at first, Rich has a good crew behind him.

Well this I was unaware of, BUT can you confirm the material was made here and not overseas? China steel is cheap crap and is known for not being consistent or of any form of quality.
I in NO way can Guarantee the origin of the Steel or ANY material used in the LOSI comp crawler. . . Maybe Rich can comment on the subject if it's relevant. I was TOLD from MY friend and owner of my LHS- that quite simply 'LOS A' part #'s are sourced from A-merica ~ LOS B #'s are from overseas. In all honesty- the points made in various threads on this subject point out many weakness' in the design of the CVD itself, not just the STEEL? We're @ a standstill until the Man w/all the answers can share the solution(s).
APESHAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:19 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Don't be so sure, with a fixed input at the "diff" side it puts an awkwards stress on the shafts. If the "diff" side were a dogbone then there is a much better chance they would survive.

But they are way under designed as well. I can't believe they put those CVD's in this truck, really makes me question the designers.

They are simply to hard. They are VERY Brittle. Has nothing to do with no outer bearing. If that was ever an issue during testing i assure you it would have been addressed.

Talking to Jake face to face and Rich as well every comp for what seems like hours.. I have confidence if it was needed it would have been addressed..
DiEzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:00 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

so looks like losi is at it again with making cheap stuff again like the lst1 and the xxx4. when will they learn that people like to drive their stuff and not let it sit on a shelf. i love losi but they have got really cheap in the past few years. sorry for all the crap talking im just tired of just all the stuff i have been looking for from losi just fail
some87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiEzel View Post
Has nothing to do with no outer bearing. If that was ever an issue during testing i assure you it would have been addressed.
The CVD's were an issue during testing and it wasn't addressed.........

Just saying......
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post

Just saying......
i remember a few months back someone said the only problem they had was 1 broken cvd
some87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

You can R&D till' the cows come home, but there will always be bugs to work out in the final production stage...always.

That said, I still feel that Horizon Hobby's quality is sub-par to begin with, so don't be surprised to see a few clams with the Comp Crawler, or anything else they put out for that matter.

It may say Losi, but there isn't a Losi within 500 miles of that joint :?
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:14 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post

Just saying......

Correct, But wasnt a snapping case like we are seeing from them being so Hard, so i was told. And also like stated was only a couple
DiEzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:08 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
It may say Losi, but there isn't a Losi within 500 miles of that joint :?
Not exactly true - maybe 50 miles though... Jr is still in SoCal.

- DK
dkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Default horizon

I talked to horizon today, and they said that they have not heard anything bad about the comp crawler. I would say everybody needs to call horizon and tell them about the issues since they own losi. They said that their customer support would handle any issue.
THE PARTS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:08 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PARTS GUY View Post
I talked to horizon today, and they said that they have not heard anything bad about the comp crawler. I would say everybody needs to call horizon and tell them about the issues since they own losi. They said that their customer support would handle any issue.
Well of course, they aren't gonna tell you that the phone is ringing off the hook with pissed off customers.

I have no doubt that the people that need to know do know, now we just need to see what they do if anything.

My money rests on the aftermarket fixing the problems, All Losi will do for a while is send you a fresh set of bad CVD's. If I had an RC Shop I'd return all my Crawlers and reinvest in just parts....LOL
ripper7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #36
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiEzel View Post
Correct, But wasnt a snapping case like we are seeing from them being so Hard, so i was told. And also like stated was only a couple

The pictures I have seen don't look like an over hardened material problem. Those are usually pretty easy to see. I have seen several that look like they have a twist in them, you aren't going to see that with an overharden piece failing.

I by no means have tons of faith in the designer behind the truck, so I don't have faith that Losi will ever come up with a decent solution. Sounds like they have been blowing a lot of smoke.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #37
20K Club

Has nobody else thought it was "interesting" how Rich posted up days before the release that this crawler "likes lighter weight wheels" ?

Say all you want but that sounds like you were clearly aware that the CVD's suck ass and you were going to try and minimize the what has turned into a freaking circus in here.

I agree, I bet aftermarket it going to have to fix Losi mistake.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Im sure thats not the reason more the fact he's been working on this flat out for god knows how long im sure the guy is allowed a weekend off. Im thinking more along the lines of the manufaturer of the CVD's has screwed up.
English Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

I gotta go with Harley on this one, I think they were at least aware of a potential problem.
ripper7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

The new body looks cool at least.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote