Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Question about motor heating up,,,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Question about motor heating up,,,

Help a newb here,,,45 and higher wound motors are heating up (even some 35t,s)
-higher the wind =SLOWER the motor turns, and with MORE torque
-lower the wind = FASTER the motor turns, and with LESS torque
correct so far?
so if the new LCC drivetrain is so hard to turn with the worm gears I would think a motor with MORE torque is needed to push it along (like a 55t) seems to me it would work less and build less heat,,,
but it seems that the opposite is true,, the lower wound 35t with high speed and low torque is doing better,,,
WHY????
Is the faster turning motor cooling itself better because of the rpm of the armature having a fan effect ?
flame the dummy if you need to but do it with an answer included
grouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Have you put your thumb on the exposed spur gear and turned it by hand? The Gear combo in this truck needs to spin pretty quick to afford the major reduction built into the Worm gear axles. As the Team has stated- and Almost obviously, a VERY strong brushed combo or Simply brushless is the easiest way to get her going strong.

not flaming. .
APESHAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
Who's your Daddy-0!

Why keep making new threads about something that has 10 thread already? Come on guys!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
Why keep making new threads about something that has 10 thread already? Come on guys!
because I'd like a specific answer to my specific question
show me where there is another question as dumb as mine
---no I have'nt , just spun the drivelline but I have nothing to compare it too,,,this is my first crawler
I have'nt even bought a motor yet,,and won't untill the mystery has been solved,,,
guess ya gotta walk on eggshells here to learn

Last edited by grouser; 06-01-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

The general answer is that the transmission has to spin quite fast as there is a lot of reduction happening at the worm drives. This means you need a faster motor.

I was wondering though if there is any gear reduction in the transmission?

I know there is heaps in the worm drives.

Forgetting the DIG setup and the tranny, would it be possible to run a direct drive to the driveshafts using just a pinion and spur (idler gear) and then connect to the driveshafts?
The CrAwLL BLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouser View Post
because I'd like a specific answer to my specific question
show me where there is another question as dumb as mine
---no I have'nt , just spun the drivelline but I have nothing to compare it too,,,this is my first crawler
I have'nt even bought a motor yet,,and won't untill the mystery has been solved,,,
guess ya gotta walk on eggshells here to learn
I help people everyday on here! No eggshells.... This should be in electronics first off, it's a motor question. And yes it has been answered quite a few times. There is one in Electronics that got moved from here. There is no mystery really, just on brushed motors. The Brushless seem to be fine.....

Post #8! A Couple notes about the Comp Crawler

Last edited by TattooKenny; 06-01-2009 at 11:20 PM.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:06 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

His reasoning is sound, if the gear train is harder to turn, then a higher turn motor should work less to do the job, it just wont turn fast enough to make use of the reduction in the axles. It shouldn't overheat just because it is turning slower, that makes no sense to me either. The truck would just go slower. I have never heard of slower turning componants causing more heat than faster, it goes against the laws of physics.
mspohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:47 AM   #8
Custom Carbon Fiber

Rich has said somewhere else in the Losi thread that using the tranny alone would be like putting a XX4 out on the rocks. That tells me theres really no reduction in the tranny, its spinning as fast as it can to get the wheel speed from the worms.

Your using More of the motor, could be why brushless would be the better choice due to efficiency in them compared to brushed.

just my thoughts - hoping mines in today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspohn View Post
His reasoning is sound, if the gear train is harder to turn, then a higher turn motor should work less to do the job, it just wont turn fast enough to make use of the reduction in the axles. It shouldn't overheat just because it is turning slower, that makes no sense to me either. The truck would just go slower. I have never heard of slower turning componants causing more heat than faster, it goes against the laws of physics.

but with the high gearing in the trans to compensate for the worms and get desired wheel speed your using More of your motor. Your beginning to operate it more in the mid to top end area instead of the low to mid range.

your using more rpm to go as fast as a R/P axle because of gearing. a slower turn motor will need/use more power to achieve the same speed as a lower turn will. yes it should have more torque at a lower range but when your spinning it outside that range its gonna heat up.

a lower wind motor will have more power up front but in return for that your gonna generate heat because again your using more of the mid to top end range.

I can totally see where a slower turning motor would get just as hot if not hotter, especially in DC motors.

Yes brushless motors get hot too but i think the area they gain in is efficiency and that may be why they're a better choice right now.

Last edited by Robbob; 06-02-2009 at 06:06 AM. Reason: forgot to multiquote
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

So it would be like driving around in low granny gear,,,,motor wide open =not going very fast,,,,
doing this with an electric motor means full voltage and amps going thru the motor heating things up,,
with a faster motor you only need to use say 50% of the power to get up to speed thus 1/2 the voltage and heat,,,
me thinks me understands now,,,
thanks to those that posted helpfull info,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited by grouser; 06-02-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:45 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, i hadnt thought of it that way
mspohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:35 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

The real issue with brushed motors is finding a motor that's fast enough but still has enough torque to turn the gears.

I beginning to think that Losi had one goal, sell the crawler, than sell the brushless systems, what I can't figure out is why a Losi Brushless crawler system wasn't released a month before the Crawler, this has all been a bit chaotic.
ripper7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper7777777 View Post
The real issue with brushed motors is finding a motor that's fast enough but still has enough torque to turn the gears.

I beginning to think that Losi had one goal, sell the crawler, than sell the brushless systems, what I can't figure out is why a Losi Brushless crawler system wasn't released a month before the Crawler, this has all been a bit chaotic.
Brushed motors are so 1985! Let's let these suckers be put to rest!
Mr. Burpsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burpsalot View Post
Yep went back to 91 to find the 27T arm i needed.
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #14
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burpsalot View Post
Brushed motor are OG but they are here to stay.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote