Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Set ups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Set ups

I wanted to start something on set ups. The stock set up works pretty well. I lowered the upper link to the lower hole, that was the only change I made. Now I am going to try Jake's granite set up. I will hopefully test the set up tomorrow and will post back how it works. What set up changes have others made and the results?
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I did a bunch but ya cant list them without getting somebody bitchin. The biggest change was in the way I set my pinion or should say reset pinion. I noticed that when i tightened down the cradle it changed the mesh. It took awhile then the little bit of motor heat disappeared and the rig seemed likt it was freed up. The second change came after the shock fell apart I rebuilt them and installed internal limiters as described by Jakes thread and WOW it got better. I remind you i am running on 3 axles but it worked.
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I tried Jake's Granite set up.

45 wt in the front shocks
30 wt in the rear shocks
white springs all around
9.5mm external limiters
front shocks laid all the way down in hole 1
rear shocks in the middle in hole 3
Upper links in the top hole front and rear

Was not real happy with the set up. It did not crawl stuff that the stock set up did. It seemed to lack some forward traction. I was also catching the skid quite a bit, as it sat a good 3/8" lower than the stock set up. I could have lowered the spring retainers, but I left them where they where at. I was thinking of moving the upper links to the middle hole and see how that works, then moving them again to the lower hole in the front.

Next I plan on trying the Slick Rock set up. 45 wt oil all around should be interesting to try.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Another set up tried and here are some findings.

Set up
Tekin RS with 21.5 motor
19T pinion
3 cell 1300 pack (25c/32c)
Comp Claws on VP wheels (4 weights in each front, none in back)
1 1/2 Losi memory foam in each front wheel, stock Losi gray in each back)
45 wt oil front and rear
Front upper link in lower position
everything else is stock locations

Motor situation is pretty good, may drop a tooth on the pinion.

Chassis findings
The rig drove very well over all, but I think the 45 wt oil is a little to stiff. I think I will go back to the 30 wt oil in front and back. With 45 wt, the back did not seem to want to settle. Also, the front seemed to not suck into the rocks on steep verts. I will first try dropping the rear upper link to the bottom hole to see if that helps. Tires felt pretty good, maybe need to go a hair softer in the front foams (may take out the extra 1/2 foam in each one). Overall, I would feel comfortable comping this set up, but I do think the shock oil is too thick.

The rock is very jagged, with lots of "axle catchers." Traction on the rock is a little bit less than where I am used to crawling.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I have taken the Losi setup sheet and made some changes. It is interactive and has more information available.

http://uploading.com/files/6PQU2H8M/^Comp Crawler Setup - Interactive.pdf.html

To download the file - the password is "losi"

Sorry you will have to wait for the download, it is a free service...

Here is what it looks like.

Here is my test setup for Oakes Quarry.

http://uploading.com/files/47K8R2YM/Comp Crawler Setup - DLK Oakes Quarry.pdf.html

Again, the password is "losi"

- DK
dkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Thanks Dave!!! You rock man
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

can someone explain why you need to get stiffer springs when you can just tighten down the one you have with the adjuster nut?
grouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouser View Post
can someone explain why you need to get stiffer springs when you can just tighten down the one you have with the adjuster nut?
doing that increases the pressure and effects the rebound, not changing the spring rate . going to a heavier spring helps give a smoother effect and be more consistent.

i went with losi pinks in my rear with 30wt and 40wt in the front with white springs. all 4 half .5'' limiters in them. other then that ive left the links in stock locations.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
doing that increases the pressure and effects the rebound, not changing the spring rate . going to a heavier spring helps give a smoother effect and be more consistent.

i went with losi pinks in my rear with 30wt and 40wt in the front with white springs. all 4 half .5'' limiters in them. other then that ive left the links in stock locations.
thanks dude
grouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkingston View Post
I have taken the Losi setup sheet and made some changes. It is interactive and has more information available.

http://uploading.com/files/6PQU2H8M/^Comp Crawler Setup - Interactive.pdf.html

To download the file - the password is "losi"

Sorry you will have to wait for the download, it is a free service...

Here is what it looks like.

Here is my test setup for Oakes Quarry.

http://uploading.com/files/47K8R2YM/Comp Crawler Setup - DLK Oakes Quarry.pdf.html

Again, the password is "losi"

DK
Wanted to use your setup sheet, but the download website's a pain in the butt ... Any chance you could e-mail me the PDF? jphracing001@aol.com
JPH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH Racing View Post
Wanted to use your setup sheet, but the download website's a pain in the butt ... Any chance you could e-mail me the PDF? jphracing001@aol.com
Jake - YGM

If anyone else would like it emailed, drop me an email to ohionitro@gmail.com and I will reply with the sheet!

- DK
dkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Taken from Jake's (DelMonte) post...

Heavy Setup
10oz. added in the front/45wt. shock oil
4oz. added in the rear/35wt. shock oil

Light Setup
6oz. added in the front/35wt. shock oildf
2.5 added in the rear/30wt. shock oil

I've been doing a lot of experimenting with tire weight and shock oil combinations lately, and this is what I've found works best. I've been using my heavy setup in high-traction areas (Grantie, slickrock, etc...) and using the lighter setup in slippery river rock areas. For extreme vert. climbs and big breakovers I've been using the heavy fronts with the light rears for some extra forward weight bias.

I'm also running both of my upper links in the top holes on the chassis. I like having a little extra squat in the rear suspension on verticals, but if you drive with a little heavier throttle, you may want to move your rear upper links down to the center hole.

Also, take note of his location of the rear shocks, moving them outside on the axle.