Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: My LCC MOA - Dual ESC, BL 17.5T, Dual 3S

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My LCC MOA - Dual ESC, BL 17.5T, 3S

I want to share with you my LCC set up.

ELECTRONICS:
ESC: 2X Tekin RS. With Hotwire. Timing:0, Profile: F&R 1
Motor: 2x Tekin Redline 17.5T Sensored Brushless Motor. Timing:0
TX/RX: Futaba 3PKS
Servo: FutabaS9157
BEC: CC BEC
Battery: 3S Lipo Hyperion VXG3

MECHANICAL:
Eritex MOA Upgrade. Gearing: Front 9t stock pinion, Rear 8t RC4wd pinion.
CKRC CVD
Rocksmith Billet Aluminum Steering Link
HB Rovers White. 3-stage insert

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/L1030112.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/L1030113.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/L1030114.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/L1030115.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/L1030116.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/L1030117.jpg
This is my first crawler and I would much appreciate your advice

The ESC tray:
Is made from the original Losi ESC tray mounted vertically in the location of the long frame brace.

The RX, BEC and Harness Tray:
I used the Losi Battery to hold the electronics. Mounted on top portion of the chassis. Not the best location but for now, this is temporary as I am working on moving this tray at the rear axle motor mount.

The Battery Tray:
Made from 2 long chassis brace taken out earlier, 1x short brace and plastic to hold the velcro and battery in place.

Connection:
Front Battery - powers Rear ESC, motor, BEC and Servo. Since this gets the heaviest load, my assumption was that the difference in the load will be compensated during DIG use. Once the RX tray is moved to the rear axle, then I can use bigger capacity batts and adds weight to the front.
Rear Battery - powers Front ESC and motor.

TX
3PKS ...I am following Harleys settings for DUAL ESC in the Electronics thread

Last edited by axelram; 06-26-2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: More info
axelram is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
20K Club

That is a very nice setup, dual ESC's with the Futaba radio should give you lots of control.

Like I said in the other thread, get a battery that will allow you to run both ESC's together. The imbalance of the packs could cause some unpredictablility of the rig. Say you are diggind a lot with the front and you drain that pack further than the rear than your rear will feel overpowered. You could account for this with the 3PK but no reason to over complicate it.

Nice job
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Looks good I saw it run on Sunday under 101
how heavy is the rig?
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynmech View Post
Looks good I saw it run on Sunday under 101
how heavy is the rig?
Yes, that was my MOA in its first taste of real world. I dont have the weigh but with 6 and 3 weights in each F and R wheels, it is stable when resting on side of wheels and wont tip over.

Power delivery is so smooth with sensored motor, lots of instant power, even heared comments from other racers thats its overpowered. I just did one course and left after that because it was family day and time was limited. I lost 3 out of 4 body clips trying to recover form out of bound, thats my next project.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
That is a very nice setup, dual ESC's with the Futaba radio should give you lots of control.

Like I said in the other thread, get a battery that will allow you to run both ESC's together. The imbalance of the packs could cause some unpredictablility of the rig. Say you are diggind a lot with the front and you drain that pack further than the rear than your rear will feel overpowered. You could account for this with the 3PK but no reason to over complicate it.

Nice job
Thanks.
I will use my 3 PKS in the meantime, and when budget permits, will upgrade to 4PK. After I moving the RX tray to the rear, then I think I will have a better choice of battery capacity.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelram View Post
Thanks.
I will use my 3 PKS in the meantime, and when budget permits, will upgrade to 4PK. After I moving the RX tray to the rear, then I think I will have a better choice of battery capacity.
If nothing else it will really get you used to how to fine tune your controls for awhile.

It's funny how we can remove a huge transmission and still run out of space huh
Old 08-27-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Nice job
I am also using also Futaba S9157 servo for steering and I want to move the servo mount to the rear holes of the motor mount. Can I remove the servo back cover so that I can trim portion opposite the motor mounting bolts head?
Old 08-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Smile

Quote:
I want to move the servo mount to the rear holes of the motor mount. Can I remove the servo back cover so that I can trim portion opposite the motor mounting bolts head?
I just used a countersink and flat head bolts to do this. Just do a little at a time.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynmech View Post
I just used a countersink and flat head bolts to do this. Just do a little at a time.

Do you mean countersunk the motor mount holes?

I tried trimming the buttonhead bolt to about 1mm thick, adjusted to the rear the servo mount and use washers in the servo ears. I may have to use double-side tape in the 1mm gap between the back cover of servo to help.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:

I tried trimming the buttonhead bolt to about 1mm thick, adjusted to the rear the servo mount and use washers in the servo ears. I may have to use double-side tape in the 1mm gap between the back cover of servo to help.
Shim the servo forward if you need to. Also, which set of mounting holes are you using? The ones farthest from the motor is what I use with a CS170 and I have .020" clearance between the servo and the motor mount screws;)
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Cool

Quote:

on the part that mounts to the axel, just take your time on doing it, the slot that goes up and down. I'll take a pict of it and shoot it out.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eritex Inc. View Post
Shim the servo forward if you need to. Also, which set of mounting holes are you using? The ones farthest from the motor is what I use with a CS170 and I have .020" clearance between the servo and the motor mount screws;)
I used the farthest mounting holes initially then I got stuck with servo too forward. I moved now to the nearest mountiung holes to the motor. Pls see link:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/L1030118.jpg

Last edited by axelram; 08-28-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

In the spirit of continuous improvement, I recycled the original LOSI ESC and servo Tray and build this bulletproof RXtray.

Its mounted perfectly to the Eritex motor mount. I have to acknowledge the quality of the MOA upgrade, its a very good basis for improving the LCC. What do you think of the result?
Old 08-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

That definately looks rock solid... way to recycle!
JasonJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Axelram, absolutely awesome radio mount
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #16
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eritex Inc. View Post
Axelram, absolutely awesome radio mount
Wow, have to agree completely! The Futaba RX's are not the smallest (yet) and that is a great place to put it!
Old 08-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Wow, have to agree completely! The Futaba RX's are not the smallest (yet) and that is a great place to put it!

What do mean "yet" . I sure would like to see the newest line from Futaba. Now that you have me running Futaba in all my stuff, I will need something a little smaller for my next scale project .

I completely agree, awsome job on the RX holder. Looks great.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Thank you very much.

Here is how I build the battery tray from the 2X long chassis braces taken out earlier. Additional parts are: one short brace, plastic piece from packaging, middle post to position the battery either rear or front and the original Losi Velcro:

The CC BEC installed under the battery tray. The lowest CG I can install this component:

A 3s 1100maH Hyperion Lipo installed in the forward location of the battery tray.

Last edited by axelram; 08-31-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:27 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Learning a lot from this forum and from fellow crawlers in comps I participated, my LCC was completely transformed. From the base LCC with 17.5T BL, to dual BL MOA, to Chump chassis with high clearance links to the current Bettlejuice-based MOA. I though to share with you my set-up:

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Details to follow. Thanks for viewing.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Awesome, been wondering about a BeetleJuice Losi MOA, it looks killer
sledge57 is offline   Reply With Quote