RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Team Losi Comp Crawler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/team-losi-comp-crawler/)
-   -   "Carbon Fever" LCC MOA (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/team-losi-comp-crawler/198168-carbon-fever-lcc-moa.html)

Mike Poulson 09-07-2009 01:08 AM

"Carbon Fever" LCC MOA

9 Attachment(s)
Hi, I got LCC #186 when they first came out. I think I am finally ready to give up the no dig shafty and start building this thing.

Following this forum and collecting new gear has been interesting to say the least.

Starting with a drawing I designed the profile including the stock LCC link and shock mounting locations. Using a hot wire and sanding block I formed the desired shape into a foam plug to use to make a plaster mold.
The plaster mold was used to make a fiberglass chassis. I could mount links and shocks to this prototype and make more precise modifications. This fiberglass prototype was used to built the new plug for another final mold. I am going to mold a skid as well.

Culetto 09-07-2009 06:38 AM

I dont even own an LCC and i would buy one of those. About time someone took the monocoque idea and ran with it.

2x "thumbsup"

Mike Poulson 09-07-2009 09:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Some pics fresh out of the mold.

Unimoger 09-07-2009 09:27 AM

OMG Mike is at it again :shock: Looks like another out of the box idea that will surely take us all back i our seats."thumbsup" I will be watching for sure.8)

Mike Poulson 09-07-2009 09:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some 19mm motor mounts for the 480 motors,

I removed some material (,040") behind the servo so I had room for the button head screws with washers.

Mike Poulson 09-07-2009 10:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I am confident that brazing .025" piano wire ring on the ckrc stubs will keep them from splitting.

Mike Poulson 09-07-2009 10:16 AM

4 Attachment(s)
A little trimming and I got a roller.

Mike Poulson 09-07-2009 10:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Up to date now, I am working on the battery box\radio tray.
It is going to be easy rear loading 2200 3s.

Del Monte 09-07-2009 10:30 AM

wow! looks like a class 1 desert car :shock:

Incredible work Mike, will we see this one in St. George next month?

DeaDShorT 09-07-2009 10:32 AM

Very cool"thumbsup" Might actually be cooler than some of the tubers I've seen. Should make some unique sounds scraping on the rocks.:mrgreen:

Mike Poulson 09-07-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Monte (Post 1982145)
wow! looks like a class 1 desert car :shock:

Incredible work Mike, will we see this one in St. George next month?

Yes I will be there. edit: so will the LCC MOA

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaDShorT (Post 1982149)
Very cool"thumbsup" Might actually be cooler than some of the tubers I've seen. Should make some unique sounds scraping on the rocks.:mrgreen:

The unique sounds of carbon scraping down the rocks is quite an awful sound.

DeaDShorT 09-07-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Poulson (Post 1982161)
The unique sounds of carbon scraping down the rocks is quite an awful sound.

Been running CF skids on my dirtbikes for years...it is quite the ugly and unique sound"thumbsup"

Was wondering, from a maintenance point, if a minor design change on the skid to mount the upper links to it instead of the "body"...does that make sense? That way you'd just unbolt the shocks and the screws to attach the "body" to the skid, getting you down to maybe 8 bolts/nuts to seperate the two pieces. Just thinking outloud...:D

atekt 09-07-2009 10:55 AM

Wow, that looks awesome! I may have to get in touch with you for some brazing on my cvd's..

Mike Poulson 09-07-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaDShorT (Post 1982183)
Been running CF skids on my dirtbikes for years...it is quite the ugly and unique sound"thumbsup"

Was wondering, from a maintenance point, if a minor design change on the skid to mount the upper links to it instead of the "body"...does that make sense? That way you'd just unbolt the shocks and the screws to attach the "body" to the skid, getting you down to maybe 8 bolts/nuts to seperate the two pieces. Just thinking outloud...:D

That's a good idea, that is the hardest part during reassembly. Falls apart just fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atekt (Post 1982187)
Wow, that looks awesome! I may have to get in touch with you for some brazing on my cvd's..

I made extra rings and would be glad to do it.

chetly 09-07-2009 11:15 AM

I like it, I like it A LOT!!! Whats the wheel speed going to be with those motors? And do you think they will have enough torque to overcome the worm gears?

eron 09-07-2009 11:15 AM

Wow Mike! Awesome job there buddy! I'm interested to see where this is going "thumbsup"

By any chance, would you know the weight difference between the 100% stock losi, and your carbon fiber version?

DeaDShorT 09-07-2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Poulson (Post 1982206)
That's a good idea, that is the hardest part during reassembly. Falls apart just fine.

Subscribed"thumbsup"

Captured nuts or a tapped aluminum backing plate would help...It's always easier to armchair quarterback, isn't it?

ynmech 09-07-2009 11:48 AM

Sweeeeet!! how do get one?

Mike Poulson 09-07-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chetly (Post 1982210)
I like it, I like it A LOT!!! Whats the wheel speed going to be with those motors? And do you think they will have enough torque to overcome the worm gears?

I personally do not know, I am trusting TattooKenny see his build.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eron (Post 1982211)
Wow Mike! Awesome job there buddy! I'm interested to see where this is going "thumbsup"

By any chance, would you know the weight difference between the 100% stock losi, and your carbon fiber version?

Looks like my chassis and the stock body and chassis are about the same weight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ynmech (Post 1982253)
Sweeeeet!! how do get one?

If I charged time and materials, labor rate at min. wage it would be outrageously priced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaDShorT (Post 1982229)
Subscribed"thumbsup"

Captured nuts or a tapped aluminum backing plate would help...It's always easier to armchair quarterback, isn't it?

I was looking at it again, if I remove the upper rear shock mounts I can slide out the battery box with radio tray. Not much left to maintain after that.

motorman1600 09-07-2009 12:50 PM

I like it.

Very nice CF work. I can't imagine how long it took to build.
I can't wait to see it in person. St. George is just around the corner.