Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Still Having Heat Issues - Please Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #1

Default Still Having Heat Issues - Please Help

I was looking for some more help with my LCC, Here is my setup below:

3S Novak Goat on Worm Gear Profile
21.5 Brushless Novak Crawler Motor
2S Lipo 25C - 1350Mah
Proline Chisel Tires
15 Tooth Pinion

I have read a ton on these forums regarding the LCC and have done all the usual things such as break in axles, check gears, greased gears and such. My problem is that I am not getting much tq for climbing and only getting about 7 min of run time on a pack, plus motor is too hot to touch after about 5 min (Only about 3 seconds with finger test). I am getting alot of stall and I hate to drop gearing even more due to lack of wheel speed.

I was curious if going to an 11.1 3s battery and dropping gear would help, but I am still concerned about motor heat. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Thanks
JFuel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I am running a 12t pinion and the same motor. Although my motor has the 13mm rotor. No problems with heat or stall at all. Also have descent wheel speed but I dont like the wheel speed others do.
You are going to have to drop your pinion size I believe
Rocksmith Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksmith Eng. View Post
I am running a 12t pinion and the same motor. Although my motor has the 13mm rotor. No problems with heat or stall at all. Also have descent wheel speed but I dont like the wheel speed others do.
You are going to have to drop your pinion size I believe
What advantage will the 13mm rotor give me over the stock? More TQ? I am going to try a 12 tooth pinion, just bolted it in a few min ago.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #4

Well,

Got the motor temp down alot by going to 12t pinon, however wheel speed was a bit less than I like, but can live with it, however where is the best place to pick up the revised CVDs, just snapped one on the third battery pack...
Old 09-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
RCC Addict

http://www.rpphobby.com/radiocontrol.html or
www.losipartshouse.com
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #6

A 12 tooth takes care of the heat. Need more wheel speed use more motor. 7.5 with 12 tooth is 515 rpm at the wheel with a 2s pack.
TDODDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFuel11 View Post

2S Lipo 25C - 1350Mah
Proline Chisel Tires
15 Tooth Pinion

I have read a ton on these forums regarding the LCC and have done all the usual things such as break in axles, check gears, greased gears and such. My problem is that I am not getting much tq for climbing and only getting about 7 min of run time on a pack, plus motor is too hot to touch after about 5 min (Only about 3 seconds with finger test). I am getting alot of stall and I hate to drop gearing even more due to lack of wheel speed.

I was curious if going to an 11.1 3s battery and dropping gear would help, but I am still concerned about motor heat. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Man check that slipper,I'll bet 90% of the heat issues on the LCC is because a loose or non working slipper
TexasTumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Did you check your shims in the front worm? I had similar issues and gearing / motor would help a little, but the real problem was too many shims on both sides of the worm gear in the front axle.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Did you check your shims in the front worm? I had similar issues and gearing / motor would help a little, but the real problem was too many shims on both sides of the worm gear in the front axle.
How many shims have you got there now? 2 each side?
neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #10

Default Perfect combo.

Quote:

2S Lipo 25C - 1350Mah
Proline Chisel Tires
15 Tooth Pinion

Thanks
I have a losi this is what I run and I get 1 hour run time and hardly gets hot...tons of wheel speed and torque.

Goat 3s
Redline 17.5 sensored brushless *need sensored
Chisles
12tooth....yeah 12 tooth any more the motor won't turn the worm gears very well.
The magic key element? 3s Lipo 30c form CKRC...mint any other battery does not provide enough punch to get to gears spinning.

Think of it as a pipe...15c small 30c twice as large allowing the motor and speed controller to use power to get the gears to turn. Once they are turning it does not take a ton of power...that inital burst of power gets eveything going.
kwapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
RCC Addict

do your spools have the rite cut on them? That was my problem with my overheating and stalling. now it works great.
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilus View Post
How many shims have you got there now? 2 each side?
Yes... it had three on each side. Now it has 2 on each side.

What he said too ^ check the gears. Straight is bad. Slanted is good. Look for the shiney spot in the center. If its to the left or right, you have some issues.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:35 PM   #13

Thanks for all the responses:

I do have only 2 shims in the gears now and they are the correct spools and the wear pattern is right down the center as it should be.

I am positive the slipper is not slipping as I would hear it slipping during operation.

I really applicate the responses and think I have the problem solved.

With the Chisel tires bing much taller than the Losi stock tires combined with the 15t pinion I was pulling to much gear as well as not enough juice from the battery pack.

My last run I tried a 12t pinion gear with a 30C 11.1 volt lipo and it performed great. Run time was much better, motor heat was respectable (Still a bit hotter than I would like). However, now that I got it working good I am breaking CVDs, but have replacement on the way from losi...

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #14
RCC Addict

When are you checking the temp? When I run mine I check the temp as fast as I can, and I can hold my finger on the motor, but check it in two minutes and it will burn the crap out of me. Dont let it sit any amount of time before checking it. A motor gains more heat after it has stopped running. I installed a cooling fan, and I just let it sit there and run awhile blowing on the motor after I make a run.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:49 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Well,

Got the motor temp down alot by going to 12t pinon, however wheel speed was a bit less than I like, but can live with it, however where is the best place to pick up the revised CVDs, just snapped one on the third battery pack...

PM Rich he take care of it.
zookiguy is offline   Reply With Quote