Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Slipper clutch help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Slipper clutch help

How is everyone tightening down the slipper so much?
Creepy Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy Crawler View Post
How is everyone tightening down the slipper so much?
A quick search brings up this gem:

Tightening the Slipper
neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I know people keep saying that the slipper is a good thing, but if you really want to get rid of the slip look at this.

http://www.liquidrc.com/index.php?ma...ducts_id=60869

It's a metal gear that takes the place of the slipper. I know when I had the axial, the first thing i did was throw the slipper awat, and never had a problem after that. So I don't know why it would be a big deal on the Losi.
debooffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

What I was meaning is that do I need to take the tranny apart to hold the shaft or it there a trick?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by debooffroad View Post
I know people keep saying that the slipper is a good thing, but if you really want to get rid of the slip look at this.

It's a metal gear that takes the place of the slipper. I know when I had the axial, the first thing i did was throw the slipper awat, and never had a problem after that. So I don't know why it would be a big deal on the Losi.
I like this.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Ordered it!!! AWESOME!!!!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
What I was meaning is that do I need to take the tranny apart to hold the shaft or it there a trick?

use a flat head screwdriver in the gear slots to hold it. Just let it rest on the top of the tranny housing. should be easy to do.
zookiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookiguy View Post
use a flat head screwdriver in the gear slots to hold it. Just let it rest on the top of the tranny housing. should be easy to do.
I was trying to hold the shaft still with an allen wrench. One broke allen wrench later I thought that there has to be a better way. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
RCC Addict

The best way is to put a .050 hex wrench into the set screw that the slipper nut goes onto, then get a 1/4" open end wrench or a pair of pliers and grab the 1/4" nut. Hold the .050 hex wrench then turn the nut until it's tight.

If it works for a little while then the adjustment changes you may need try the following:

A) Change the nut, the nylock could be worn out causing it to loosen up.

B) Put a shim between the spacer that goes on before the nut and against the slipper ring. The spacer gets smashed too much sometimes and wont tighten down all the way making the slipper loose.

C) Drill out the spacer so there is a perfect hole instead of the step-down it has from the factory.

Hope this helps.
Rubbaneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ordered it!!! AWESOME!!!!
You do realize that this gear is the top gear which is inside the tranny. It isn't a replacement for the slipper gear which is outside the tranny.

I found that all the problems I had with the slipper coming loose was all due to residual cutting lube in the top shaft. You need to remove the set screw from the shaft, clean both with solvent, use fresh thread lock and reassemble. I replaced the set screw with a 3mm button head screw which means that I either need to disassemble the tranny or use the gear blocking method to tighten the slipper. Fortunately it has not loosened since I repaired it.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I broke off my .050 wrench when I was tightening my slipper the first time and it is still stuck in the slipper screw, so I had to improvise. An easy way to tighten the nut is to put a hex wrench in the driveshaft screw, just like you were tightening it, and hold onto that while using a hex socket wrench to tighten the nut. I actually think this way is easier than any other idea I have tried. Works like a charm, takes about 30 seconds from start to finish.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:23 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Default tightening slipper

hi there i just bought the losi comp and in ten mins the slipper was backed off.S the trick is hold the small nut on the end off trans and turn the drive shaft by hand you'll need to figure out which direction i can't remeber
crazz from bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

i just put a pair of vice grips on the drive shaft and turned the nut with a wrench. after the first half of the first battery, the slipper would not even crawl up a 2" ledge on carpet.
Donahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #14

I did away with my slipper and love it.
packman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:

Sorry but thats not a slipper clutch replacement gear. Thats the top gear in the trans that is behind the slippper. You can hold neddle nose plyers on the nut and hit the throttle to tighten the slipper.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote