Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: $1000 no mistakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default $1000 no mistakes

The lessons I have learned the best have been from mistakes. I just hate having to learn that way.

Case in point I bought an MRC which is cool but honestly just a tad too short to climb a lot of cool things.

I would like to build an LCC and realistically it looks like a 1000 dollars is about what it will take. Maybe 800. Need everything from the chasis to the radio/battery. Most of what I see in the picture thread and on other builds is from the "i have a lot of parts and am building a cool rig" perspective.

What I have learned:
CKRC Crawlers has good pricing.
My LHShops are all equally unhelpful. Wish I was closer to Concord or Reno instead of in the middle. Those shops seem like they care.
Novak Goat probably not ideal.
3PM-X Looks like a good deal.
MOA isn't clearly better.
Good steering is a must.
It would be stupid to waste the Dig.

If you had to do it all over again knowing what you know now what would you do?
Iberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I'd do it exactly as I did, except I'd go ahead and swap in the V3 axle shafts before I went any further.

RustyNuts' LCC build
silentcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iberian View Post
The lessons I have learned the best have been from mistakes. I just hate having to learn that way.

Case in point I bought an MRC which is cool but honestly just a tad too short to climb a lot of cool things.

I would like to build an LCC and realistically it looks like a 1000 dollars is about what it will take. Maybe 800. Need everything from the chasis to the radio/battery. Most of what I see in the picture thread and on other builds is from the "i have a lot of parts and am building a cool rig" perspective.

What I have learned:
CKRC Crawlers has good pricing.
My LHShops are all equally unhelpful. Wish I was closer to Concord or Reno instead of in the middle. Those shops seem like they care.
3PM-X Looks like a good deal.
Good steering is a must.
It would be stupid to waste the Dig.

my ideal setup would be:radio- DX3Rsteering- hitec 7950tgdig-225mgesc- mamba max promotor- any good sensored brushless 17.5-21.5t rangelipo- 3s 1500mah+ 35cthen again my current setup only the radio and steering servo are different
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
How so? All the senored brushless setups (goat's and others) around here are working great. I have only see one go up in smoke and it was an off brand motor that had cogging problems from day one.

Quote:
I have to agree with that at this point in time with my MOA but I think that is going to change as I get more radio time in.

Quote:

Nothing.

Last edited by lt99ls1; 12-28-2009 at 02:15 PM. Reason: answered some more questions.
lt99ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Spektrum DX3R.
Novak Goat 3s Ballistic 18.5 motor. (because I smoked the 21.5)
At first I ran a Sidewinder with a Titan 21T, when I would pull full throttle it would give it all for about 2 seconds and after that it would start slowing down, or giving up even with a 40c 3s battery. With the Novak, that never happens. It keeps pulling, and pulling, and pulling. If you plan on running a comp season, just go on and put the money into it. You wont regret it if your winning.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt99ls1 View Post
How so? All the senored brushless setups (goat's and others) around here are working great. I have only see one go up in smoke and it was an off brand motor that had cogging problems from day one.
From what I was reading the goat is a good motor but the ESC is not as good as the MMP. No one said it was bad but rather they preferred the MMP ESC.

I am mostly trying to avoid spending money on anything I would regret.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
From what I was reading the goat is a good motor but the ESC is not as good as the MMP. No one said it was bad but rather they preferred the MMP ESC.

I am mostly trying to avoid spending money on anything I would regret.
Ok, I see now. Shaggybob on here runs a MMP and a novak brushless crawler motor and it does very well.
lt99ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt99ls1 View Post
Ok, I see now. Shaggybob on here runs a MMP and a novak brushless crawler motor and it does very well.

Then that is one nomination for the novak. Though he runs the 21.5t, I suspect most would recomend the 18.5t.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

i run the novak 2s goat with 18.5 with a 3s lipo and it does really well. good wheel speed and good torque.
CrAwLeR13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I would have bought the 18.5 motor instead of the 21.5. Other than that, I couoldn't be more pleased.
Mad-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Take some time to read this bro. I am very happy. The Futaba radio is great. All I would do is upgrade the servo which I have done and run a lexan top if thats what you like. here it is
Up and over's...Losi Comp Crawler Thread
PM me if you have any questions and good luck, the LCC rocks.
Wild Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

ive got less than $675 in my Losi and im running an 18.5t goat system in mine, its a great crawler once i got brushless
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I would have to disagree about the MOA, so here is the current and best setup I have come up with.

Losi Chassis
MOA kit
2- 10T Puller Motors
Holmes Hobbies Torque master ESC
Spektrum DX3R
Punk Dig
HB Rovers
Hitech 7955TG (or bigger servo)
Holmes Hobbies 2200mah 3S Lipo
sbarnesvta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #14
RCC Addict

i havent actually ran my rig too long to know much but for what its worth this is going to be my setup once i get all the parts. .. .
stock or BWD wedge chassis
eritex moa conversion
holmes TM 30T handwounds
holmes torquemaster BR-XL esc
turnigy 1300mah 30c 4s or rhino 1050mah 40c 3s
hitec 7955tg
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #15
RCC Addict

So, to stay under $1000 i don't see MOA as an option, or a DX3R. If you want to stay under and still put good shit in the crawler you can do a Traxxas TQ3 with some simple mods for cheep(like $15 plus a radio). It is not the great radio but it works and you will be able to put a lot more into the car.

Oh, and don't be bummed your not close to CKRC they are not the least bit friendly and the charge more if you by the stuff in shop apposed to online.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Futaba 4PK, Futaba 9157 and 9650 servo's, 3 cell 1350mah battery, Tekin RS ESC, Tekin 35t motor. This is what I am currently running.

I was running a goat with an 18.5 and like it. But I have never been a big fan of Novak. That's why I went Tekin.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

i have a goat 3s in mine with a 21.5 motor an a 3 cell an loven it.

yes i will say this truck cost a lil more than a ax 10 but its a way better crawler than the ax 10 as well.

it takes a lil time to get it rite an be sure u have all the rite gears an cvds in it an what better losi will fire u the rite ones if u talk to rich if yours r wrong but there getting them all sorted out now an when its dont it is a great truck

i have switched form a ax10 an never looked back
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

. . . . . i almost built an moa losi for my girlfriend and after i drove my buddys . . . . i wouldnt even buy one period. . .dont waste your money build a berg or an axial. . just my .02
WheelinKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

You can read about my Losi Comp Crawler and its list of upgrades HERE.

I am really happy with the setup and I don't think I would change anything....except maybe jump up to 3s LiPo's.

I might be pushing the $1000 limit, but you don't need all of the upgrade parts that mine has.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
So, to stay under $1000 i don't see MOA as an option, or a DX3R. If you want to stay under and still put good shit in the crawler you can do a Traxxas TQ3 with some simple mods for cheep(like $15 plus a radio). It is not the great radio but it works and you will be able to put a lot more into the car.

Oh, and don't be bummed your not close to CKRC they are not the least bit friendly and the charge more if you by the stuff in shop apposed to online.
i would have to disagree with you a little bit on this one. i just got done adding up what i would/will hvae into mine after i get the moa kit, another motor and dig and i am at $775, and thats with the lcc, dx3r, holmes esc, holmes motors, punk dig, and new dna wheels. .. . and ya i bought the 3r used, but a moa lcc CAN be had for under 1k. .. . just my $ .02
and ya ckrc isnt the best, i recommend RPP, by far the best i have dealt with.
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote