Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Can I completely remove the dig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Can I completely remove the dig?

My dig has been screwing up, randomly popping on or off, jaming the drivetrain up completely. I have removed the linkage from the servo, but it still happens.

At this point, its not worth the headache since I cant use the dig with a 2 position 3rd channel anyway (no amount of adjusting could ever make it work reliably, and I had experience hands help with it)

So how hard is it to just remove the darned thing completely? Remove tranny and pull a gear? What do I need to do, because I have had it with the thing. Its making me not even want to drive the truck :(
Davenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2010, 01:51 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Sorry to hear... Well the dig gear is the output shafts for the front and rear axles so you cant just remove it, if you do your transmission wont send power to your axles. I'd pull the transmission apart and make sure the dig springs are centering properly so there is no contact with the dig plates and then check the transmissions dig gear, top shaft gear, slipper gear and idler gear and make sure the teeth are all in good condition. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by MAXIMUS-05RAVEN; 01-28-2010 at 01:57 AM.
MAXIMUS-05RAVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Pull the tranny apart and check the dig springs. Stretch them out some and that should help with your issue. Also check to make sure the dig plates slide on the shaft smoothly. Sounds to me like they are binding on the shaft and giving you trouble. Each set of dig plates will fit a little differently, so it might take a couple of minutes with a small file or sandpaper to make sure they operate smoothly.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #4

You can take a trans from a LNC and put it in the LCC you will also need the LNC driveshafts. Let me know if you get rid of the dig unit I might be intersted in it. jsimons81@sbcglobal.net
rockcreepin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

As said, stretch the springs or build spacers to replace the springs to keep the dig plates locked into place.
PDXFNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
RCC Addict

You can still have front dig with a 2 pos 3rd channel,,,,,Right???? Take it apart and check everything. I wouldnt get rid of it. Fix it right or tune it correctly.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Are there any tricky parts to pulling the tranny and pulling it apart or is it standard RC stuff?
Old 01-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
Y-Town Crawlers

Its simple, however its not like any other transmission I've ever worked on.

Take your time and refer back to the exploded views here if you get lost
http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/L...1_Exploded.pdf

I would check the dig plates and the shaft that they ride on for any burrs that could be causing them to not shift properly. Also, stretching out the springs helps the dig shift back into 4wd smoothly
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
RcBros Hobbies

Dave its very standard rc stuff, and really straight forward once its pull apart.

I had a really horrible time with my dig for the longest time. It was more then one issue. I'll list them below, hopefully one may be your problem.

1. Problem 1 was the stock servo horn, it was slightly stripped inside but reall undetectable by eye. It would skip 1 or 2 teeth during a run causing either the front or rear not to work. I reset the horn several times before I realized the horn was bad.

2. The ball cup on my dig linkage was catching on my motor can. During a run it would get hung on the motor and not work.

3. Was a bad hitec servo. 225mg to be exact. Just simply did not like my rig. I know others run this dig servo religiously but I had horrible issues with it.

Since I switched all those three things, strectched my dig springs, and replace a bad spur, the dig works everytime at only 33% travel for both front and rear dig.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Well I have disconnected the linkage entirely from the servo and the transmission, so its just the bar from the trany sticking out, no change. I can manually reach down and move the slider to where its normal, and it will catch and drag in short order.

It feels like there is nothing providing any centering force, so its probably the springs I guess. Ill find out when I get time to tear it apart.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #11

ill gladly trade you a losi night crawler trans((they have no dig)) for yours
four12unner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:29 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

there u go. the lnc tranny is way more durable and more efficient than the lcc tranny. less stress on your motor. it is gear very low so a large pinon is a must. runs very cool

your other choice is to replace the springs in your dig with something solid(tube) just cut it to size. or drill and tap screw the lockers together.

if u really dont want the dig at all. get youre self the lnc (losi night crawler) tranny. and u will lower your over all COG since the lnc tanny is like half the wieght of the lcc tranny
chino925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #13

put a piece of fuel line or plastic on the dig output shaft so it cant go forward and zip tie it forward so it will not slide . its easy and you can always go back to the dig in minutes.
all show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

i run mine with a 2pos. 3 channel and it works FLAWLESSLY
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

The reason it's not staying in 4 wheel drive is because you need to have a servo attached and plugged in to hold it in that position. It's not going to work without something to hold it.
RC Rock Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:34 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

what i think is happening is the your dig springs have different tension strengths and not holding the gear center thats why it un hooks also the plastic lockers inside may have rounded out the edges
Old 02-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Rock Hugger View Post
The reason it's not staying in 4 wheel drive is because you need to have a servo attached and plugged in to hold it in that position. It's not going to work without something to hold it.

The DIG springs will hold it together, with or without a servo.

My guess is the springs are collapsed, as they are cheesy little springs anyway.

Stretch them out and put them back in, that should help solve the problem. Also look at the edges on your DIG plates to make sure the corners are square. Disengaging the DIG at high throttle speeds has a tendency to shave the square edges off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s
i run mine with a 2pos. 3 channel and it works FLAWLESSLY
Yeah, I am sure it does considering it takes 3 positions to get full functionality out of the DIG.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:47 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

i changed my dig springs with one from an airsoft gun motor. i just cut them to size. alot less resistance unlike the old spring were. with the stock springs it always felt like the tranny was always under a load feeling thefirst gear with my fingers even on flat ground. now with the new springs it feels like butter kinda like an axial or lnc tranny. now my motors run cool aand not as loud and way longer runtimes. ill post pics if anyone is interested
Old 02-14-2010, 02:05 AM   #19
RCC Addict

So you're saying you swapped in softer springs from an airsoft gun and it still stays in 4x w/no problems? Shifts easier too?
I'd like to see picsand maybe get a part number for the springs you used please.
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
Yeah, I am sure it does considering it takes 3 positions to get full functionality out of the DIG.
I just have it set for front dig and 4wd. Its set to where neutral is 4wd and when I click my button it enguages to front dig, works with no problems
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote