Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #201
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler2.2 View Post
Great info guys. Normally I would have gotten flamed for this kind of questions. The reason for the bodiless chassis is meer looks. I have always wanted a custom looking tube rig. As for the worm what are you refering to exactly? Also, what are comman things to go first as far as factory parts? Thanks again guys.
The Losi based rigs have worm gears for the differential on the axle. Where the drive shaft connects to the axle housing. You need to open the axle housing and make sure that the worm gear and locker are lubed well.

Great thread on it.

Shimming the HD Worm Gears

Another great thread on reducing friction.

Tip: How to reduce the friction in LCC and LNC.

As far as what goes. The worms, if they are not lubed regularly. Everything else is pretty solid. I have had very good success with it. The stock LNC electronics will probably be the first to go.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #202
Rock Stacker

Default Re: New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here!

Right now it's running the stoc esc and a brushed axial motor. What is the common system to run on these. I was looking at the fx-r tekin system with 35t motor
crawler2.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #203
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Right now it's running the stoc esc and a brushed axial motor. What is the common system to run on these. I was looking at the fx-r tekin system with 35t motor
That is kind of like asking a Ford guy what is the best truck. There are so many choices.

If you want to stay brushed (which will be fine in the LNC - not in the LCC), FXR and 35t is a great choice. Holmes BR-XL or castle micros are also good choices of ESC. I run FXR's in my MOAs and AX10 and really like them.

Brushless - Mamba Max Pro or Tekin RS. I have had great success with both in my LCC. I have run everything from a Tekin 21.5 to a Cheapo 11.5 with good success. The best motor that I have run to date is the Losi Crawler 17.5. Discontinued and hard to find, but its a great motor for the Losis. I also liked the Novak 18.5 crawler.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #204
Rock Stacker

I have a spare ballistic 13.5 I may use some time, but wait till the others go. I talked to DMG about a chassis and he said the chassis bolts direct to LCC not LNC. I need to remove battery tray and run the LCC shock towers. Is this just a simple parts swap? It looks to be.....
Old 03-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #205
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I have a spare ballistic 13.5 I may use some time, but wait till the others go. I talked to DMG about a chassis and he said the chassis bolts direct to LCC not LNC. I need to remove battery tray and run the LCC shock towers. Is this just a simple parts swap? It looks to be.....
Yup! Piece of cake. You want to remove the battery tray anyways.

When you were talking about the bodiless for looks, I thought about the DMG, but I thought they were out of production.

I have seen that one in action. It does make a nice looking rig.

I have heard that the 13.5 is a good motor for the Losi.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #206
Rock Stacker

Last but I'm sure not least lol The suspension and steering links.. On my axial rigs these are week flexible plastic and need upgraded badly. Is the same said for the LNC? I didnt see much in upgrades but saw the LCC has them.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #207
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Last but I'm sure not least lol The suspension and steering links.. On my axial rigs these are week flexible plastic and need upgraded badly. Is the same said for the LNC? I didnt see much in upgrades but saw the LCC has them.
My opinion, with the Losi knuckles (stock or aluminum) the best steering link is the RCBros link. they are discontinued, but can be found. I know one of the Losi team drivers (Rubbaneck) prefers the LNC steering link.

I run the stock LCC lowers in the front and the DLux bent lowers in the rear. Don't think there is a need to run out and get new links right now.

Personally, I would start with tires, softer springs (Losi Black or Gold), and get the battery/electronics location as low as possible. Those will make the biggest difference in the performance.

Let the fun begin. It has been a great ride for the last 4 years.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #208
RCC Addict

I run a Novak ballistic 13.5T and it goes great, I'm only running 2s but it has good speed (for a losi) even on 2s and has good torque. The stock plastic links are fine in strength but bent links are a good upgrade for the clearance. The stock steering link is one of those things people love or hate. Owning both a lnc and lcc I find the Inc steering link pretty good as it flexes when you hit rocks and IMO makes it easier to wiggle off rocks. But there is no huge difference.
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #209
Rock Stacker

So When Looking For Upgrades To I Look For Th Lcc Or Lnc? Sounds Like Lcc And I See Much More Support For it.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:14 AM   #210
RCC Addict

Depending on the upgrade but eBay will come up with items for both even though you search Inc for example. But most aftermarket parts are classified for the lcc.
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #211
RCC Addict

If it is a specific product you look for then use that as the search criteria. I usually use the product number for LOSI parts.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #212

I am thinking about getting the losi comp crawler. I have a few questions though. First, I have an castle creations 1/10th side winder motor that is in my old slash, could I throw that in the LCC? Also, what is the preferred spur and pinion combo? I am going to be piecing this thing together and will be mounting everything as I get it.. I am going to shave the sides of my tires a bit and get everything as low as possible in the mean time. Plan on getting some gold losi springs, Castle Creations BEC, a Hitec HS-7955TG servo but im not sure what receiver or remote I want, any suggestions? I am eventually going to have dig, not sure if I'm going to set it up right away or not. I know if I was to get a LNC like I originally planned, I would just spend more money in parts and such just for it to end up being a comp crawler anyways haha.

So basically I need to know:
Will my Side Winder motor work in a crawler with no problems.
What spur pinion too run, I'm going to be crawling on basically all surfaces.
What remote and receiver to get, 3 or 4 channel for dig in the future.
And what battery should I run? I'm most likely going to have a side winder motor and castle creations esc.

Thank you in advance for whoever can help a new fellow crawler out! Much appreciated!
christianewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #213
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianewing View Post
I am thinking about getting the losi comp crawler. I have a few questions though. First, I have an castle creations 1/10th side winder motor that is in my old slash, could I throw that in the LCC? Also, what is the preferred spur and pinion combo? I am going to be piecing this thing together and will be mounting everything as I get it.. I am going to shave the sides of my tires a bit and get everything as low as possible in the mean time. Plan on getting some gold losi springs, Castle Creations BEC, a Hitec HS-7955TG servo but im not sure what receiver or remote I want, any suggestions? I am eventually going to have dig, not sure if I'm going to set it up right away or not. I know if I was to get a LNC like I originally planned, I would just spend more money in parts and such just for it to end up being a comp crawler anyways haha.

So basically I need to know:
Will my Side Winder motor work in a crawler with no problems.
What spur pinion too run, I'm going to be crawling on basically all surfaces.
What remote and receiver to get, 3 or 4 channel for dig in the future.
And what battery should I run? I'm most likely going to have a side winder motor and castle creations esc.

Thank you in advance for whoever can help a new fellow crawler out! Much appreciated!

Castle ESC, Yes - Kind of - That ESC will not run a sensored brushless motor, but it will run a brushed.

Castle motor, No. The reason it is not sensored, you need a Sensored Brushless or brushed motor. With the LCC you really need brushless. But there are some people that have had good luck running brushed.

Pinion, really depends on the motor you are using. I would start with a 14 and check the heat on the motor, if it is hot then go down a tooth or 2. I run a 12.

I am very pleased with my Futabas, but Spectrum makes a real nice radio. With the radio options available today, it is more about how it feels to you.

The battery choice really depends on what you plan on doing. If you want to compete, a 800-1000 40c. If you are bashing, 1500 and up (depending on what you can fit. Depending on the ESC, a 3s battery really opens the Losi up, but a 2s will do just fine.

Before you do anything, read this thread. The biggest killer with the Losi is friction/drag in the driveline. This is a fantastic thread on reducing it.

Tip: How to reduce the friction in LCC and LNC.

Hope it helps.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #214

Thanks for all the great info man! Would any ESC work with my motor? I don't have any ESC yet just the motor itself haha I literally caught the one it came with on fire.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #215

hi,
kindly let me know the following about the gears (Worms HD) by Losi (COMP CRAWLER) .. thank you in advance for your possible answer.

a greeting.
mark.

1: The (Worm Hd) have fewer teeth (Worm original). Factor this may require more effort on the part of the engine and transmission center in the event of heavy climbs?

2: it is true that the gears (Worms HD), as well havendo 4 teeth less in steep upgrades have the same performance as the standard ones, or even better?

3:globally gears (Worm HD) are better than the originals, in any condition you path?

Last edited by marco70; 04-05-2013 at 07:50 PM.
marco70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #216
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks for all the great info man! Would any ESC work with my motor? I don't have any ESC yet just the motor itself haha I literally caught the one it came with on fire.
Sorry, dude. Castle motors are good motors, just not for crawling. They need to be sensored for crawling. It will cog, spit and sputter at startup and slow speeds where the crawler spends most of it time.

The castle ESCs (on the other hand) are excellent ESCs for crawling. I have run a Mamba Max Pro in my LCC very successfully. It is large, but solid and very adjustable.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #217

Alright thanks! Also, do you know of anywhere where you can still buy the kit new? Or can you just get em used now?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #218
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco70 View Post
hi,
kindly let me know the following about the gears (Worms HD) by Losi (COMP CRAWLER) .. thank you in advance for your possible answer.

a greeting.
mark.

1: The (Worm Hd) have fewer teeth (Worm original). Factor this may require more effort on the part of the engine and transmission center in the event of heavy climbs?

2: it is true that the gears (Worms HD), as well havendo 4 teeth less in steep upgrades have the same performance as the standard ones, or even better?

3:globally gears (Worm HD) are better than the originals, in any condition you path?
I understand what you are saying about the different ratio of the worm/spool affecting the final drive ratio. You are correct, it will produce more wheel speed, but they are designed to reduce friction and run smoother. So the torque that was lost with the old inefficient worms/spools is gained back with the efficiency and wheel speed of the HD worms. It is a must do upgrade. Hope that makes sense.

One thing that had produced really great results for me. HD gears in the front axle and stock in the rear. It causes the front to turn faster than the rear. Which makes climbing easier as well as reduced turning radius. I have been very pleased with the results.

Please let mw know if that does not make sense.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #219
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Alright thanks! Also, do you know of anywhere where you can still buy the kit new? Or can you just get em used now?
Check Ebay. i think that I saw some new ones there. One thing to think about is that if you purchase used, there is a really good possibility that it will come with upgrades that you would want anyways. Like a brushless system (stay away from Novak ESCs, motors are good - ESCs miss or hit! miss was put first for a reason)

But, if you purchase used (speaking from experience), tear it apart and make sure everything is lubed and in good working order. It is a great way to learn the rig.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #220

Don't know if I want to go with the LNC or the LCC. Night crawler is easy to find and comp has dig. I'm not sure. Haha, guess I will wait until I get to 30 post to see the classifieds.