Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #241

Default Re: New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here!

LCC motor help. i just got the losi LCC and need to pick a motor brushless or brushed and what turns are ou guys using?
Klr104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #242
RCC Addict

Default Re: New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here!

If you go brush less I would suggest a tekin redline 13.5T and a castle MMP. Some will say go with a 17.5T but I love my 13.5T. It has good speed and torque. The tekin rs is also a good ESC choice but costs a little more. Although it is a lot smaller than the MMP. If you go brushed you will want either a Holmes or brood motor. They are rebuildable so WHEN you wear the brushes out you can replace them. Same with the com ect. But if you were to get a decent handwound and ESC a brushless setup wouldn't be much more $$.
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #243
Rock Crawler

Default New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here!

X2 pajey!

I would highly suggest a brushless setup. The extra torque of the brushless really help overcome the extra friction of the worms and dig forks.

And OlleP friction reducing thread is a must read.

I have had equally great success with the Tekin RS and MMP. I decased one of my MMPs and made it much smaller. I want to try the 13.5 like pajey mentioned, but just prefer to volt up my 17.5. 4s is a lot of juice, but nice to have the extra kick when you need it.

If I had to purchase one system now, I would choose decased MMP and Novak 18.5 ballistic crawler on 4s. If you look at my thread I am running the RS and Losi 17.5 crawler. You have to mod the RS to run 4s and the Losi motors are getting hard to find. I got my MMP and Novak 18.5 setup used for about $100, solid and very reliable.

I know it's a lot of info, please ask if it does not make sense.

Last edited by dentonmac; 11-22-2013 at 07:29 PM.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #244
RCC Addict

X3 detomatic. OllieP's friction thread is a must do. You should definatley try a 13.5T. I have the ballistic and it goes great guns on 3s.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #245
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajey View Post
X3 detomatic. OllieP's friction thread is a must do. You should definatley try a 13.5T. I have the ballistic and it goes great guns on 3s.
Are you talking 13.5 crawler? I have a couple 13.5 Ballistics from short course days. I could take the crawler rotor out of one of my 18.5s. I also have a couple 13.5 Losis, I could make the motor Losi should of. Great, I am going to be running Frankenmotor!

Opinion?
18.5 on 4s = 39,960 ish
13.5 on 3S = 36,630 ish

I do like the 18.5 on 4s, but self control on the throttle is quite difficult. The low end resolution seems better.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #246
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentonmac View Post
Are you talking 13.5 crawler? I have a couple 13.5 Ballistics from short course days. I could take the crawler rotor out of one of my 18.5s. I also have a couple 13.5 Losis, I could make the motor Losi should of. Great, I am going to be running Frankenmotor!

Opinion?
18.5 on 4s = 39,960 ish
13.5 on 3S = 36,630 ish

I do like the 18.5 on 4s, but self control on the throttle is quite difficult. The low end resolution seems better.
The crawler ballistic. A 18.5 on 4s sounds pretty tank. But I don't even own any 4s packs.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #247
Quarry Creeper

Anyone got a link to OllieP thread? Iv searched but cant find it
Nitro_Geezer_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #248
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro_Geezer_UK View Post
This may help
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/searc...archid=7575622
EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #249
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Here you go! I just bumped it also.

Tip: How to reduce the friction in LCC and LNC.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #250
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, time to strip then.
Nitro_Geezer_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #251
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks, time to strip then.
Wait...what? Please DON'T post pix!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:59 AM   #252
RCC Addict

Quote:
I do like the 18.5 on 4s, but self control on the throttle is quite difficult.
That's easily overcome by modifying the throttle curve in the MMP (or transmitter).
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #253
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
That's easily overcome by modifying the throttle curve in the MMP (or transmitter).
Ha! Thanks, Oh, I know.

The part I was referring to was the resistance to, "look how fast it will go!" All the technology in the world can't overcome being an idiot!

To me it seems better to have (learn) self-control than dilute the benefits of the gains in power and low resolution (as well as throttle feel) with deepening the throttle curves. Though I have them pretty deep already, for that very reason.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #254
RCC Addict

Quote:
The part I was referring to was the resistance to, "look how fast it will go!" All the technology in the world can't overcome being an idiot!
Now I don't get it...
When you/I have all that speed and power available we're idiots if we don't use it every now and then.

There's no resistance, and no need for it! (Apart from the need to avoid driving constatly at full throttle...)
Old 12-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #255
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
Now I don't get it...
When you/I have all that speed and power available we're idiots if we don't use it every now and then.

There's no resistance, and no need for it! (Apart from the need to avoid driving constatly at full throttle...)

FYI, I was totally referring to myself as the idiot. More than anything making a joke. But, I do get your point.

Coming from a go-fast background, I was conditioned on 4s = too much power. Too much power = broken parts. So that is my mindset when strapping on 14.8. It's all in my head.

Also it is hard when people say, "Wow, look at that Losi scoot!"

I am very judicious with the throttle, really probably overly so. The increased low speed resolution (more so than the top end) is where I am more excited about the 4s. On top of the fact with the increased runtime, cooler electronics, and on and on. IMO, the list of benefits make it a no-brainer, I just have to get over my mindset.

Tell me the HH Revolver on 4s wouldn't be awesome in the Losi! I have a MMP waiting for me to grow some and order it.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:38 AM   #256
Quarry Creeper

I have a lnc, only a couple months old, I currently have mmp/Titan 21 with a 12t, I'm looking to stay brushed with this setup (starting a comp build soon on something else) right now I'm on nimh and will probably stay that way for now, I need a smaller motor so I can run bent links ( the stock lower bottoms out on the can right now we'll before full flex) I'm semi budgeted but don't want crap, I need the same torque I have now but want more wheel speed, this do able?
Liv3mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #257
Rock Crawler

Welcome to RCC.

When I switched to the LNC tranny I had to go up to 20t pinion to get a similar wheel speed as I had in the LCC with 13 - 14 t pinion. I saw no loss in the low end. Try bumping up the pinion, slowly and see how the motor heat and low end go. You will be increasing wheel speed. But your biggest limitation is your batteries. Good lipos are inexpensive enough now that that is really a non-issue. I just picked up some 3s nano techs from hobbyking for about $10. Good call on the MMP, you have the flexibility for it to grow with where you want to go.

If the titan is working well, I would try 3s. It will really wake up the motor, and gain the wheel speed you are looking for. But the Titan is a stop-gap and will need to start looking for a motor. My opinion, you are going to have to drop some coin on a brushed motor to perform well in the Losi. Brood Axle buster is an excellent choice....excellent quality, speed and power, but pricey and require lots of maintenance (any brushed motor will...in the Losi). You can get a very good sensored brushless motor for half what those cost. I just paid about $45 for a barely used Novak 18.5T crawler motor that is fantastic in the Losi. Again, your options are wide open on motor and batteries because you already have the MMP.

If you want to stick with the titan, you can put a plate/shim between the tranny and skid to gain some clearance underneath the motor for the bent links. Don't go crazy, as you are raising your COG. I'd start with 1/8" to 3/16" and see how it goes.

Please let me know if that does not make sense.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #258
RCC Addict

Let's see if I get this correct:
- You've got a Titan 21T, which AFAIK is a 550 size motor.
- You want to have a 540 size brushed motor that delivers more power.

The only way to get that is by increasing the battery voltage. You can stick with NiMH, just add a couple of more cells or run two packs in series. (Which will likely reduce crawling performance due to higher weight and COG.)
I'd use a no less than 35T motor, and probably more turns, to get the required efficiency. Then add voltage an adjust the gearing to optimize wheel speed and motor temperature.

(The combination of LiPo batteries and brushless motor as suggested by Mac is decidedly better from a technical point of view, and will survive longer.)

Understand that wheel speed is a limited asset with these crawlers though...
Old 12-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #259
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the info so far, I really don't want to heat up the gears too much, it really sounds like lipo is the way to go, I think I will give that a try next week, I'm trying to set aside money so I can get my son a rtr 1:18 because he drives mine so much, il also try the motor shim, I didn't realize lipo was so cheap, the are semi pricy at my lhs. I just made metal lower links today and that helped a lot with clearance on the Titan, the stock pinion is 20 or 25t? I had it on the Titan originally but the axles seemed to get too hot, I have relubed them since. So what's a good charger for the that's not too pricy, again if I need to spend more on that I don't mind too much.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #260
Quarry Creeper

Also is it normal for the axles to whine so much? I didn't over tighten anything when I cleaned and relubed