Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #261
Rock Crawler

Be sure to check out OlleP friction reduction thread. It has helped me so much. That is the biggest thing with the losi platform...friction.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #262
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here!

Will do!
Liv3mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #263
RCC Addict

Default Re: New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv3mind View Post
... get my son a rtr 1:18 because he drives mine so much, ...
Big mistake! Get him a crawler the size of your own!

I went down the route of giving my son a micro crawler at the same time I bought my LCC just over two years ago. He's been driving it very little, because he thinks it's to poor compared to mine.
Now Santa will bring him an RS10 for X-mas, and the small one will be sold...
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #264
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
Big mistake! Get him a crawler the size of your own!

I went down the route of giving my son a micro crawler at the same time I bought my LCC just over two years ago. He's been driving it very little, because he thinks it's to poor compared to mine.
Now Santa will bring him an RS10 for X-mas, and the small one will be sold...
Good call, Maybe il get him a lnc or a axial then, he loves driving mine, it probably is better if it's the same size, amazing what he does with the one I have now
Old 12-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #265
RCC Addict

If you can afford it get him a LNC, since that's what YOU have.
Makes it easier to keep spares and service both rigs, as well as giving him the satisfaction of having the very same stuff as dad!
Old 12-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #266
Rock Crawler

Quote:
If you can afford it get him a LNC, since that's what YOU have.
Makes it easier to keep spares and service both rigs, as well as giving him the satisfaction of having the very same stuff as dad!
This is what I did with both of my boys! "Santa" brought them LNC's for Christmas when they were 3 yrs old! We all have Losi based rigs to keep spare parts easy. Now, at 8 yrs old, my oldest son won his first comp! 1st Place in the Junior Class!
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #267
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJoe View Post
This is what I did with both of my boys! "Santa" brought them LNC's for Christmas when they were 3 yrs old! We all have Losi based rigs to keep spare parts easy. Now, at 8 yrs old, my oldest son won his first comp! 1st Place in the Junior Class!
May have to buy 1 now and 1 in a few months haha, my 2.5 year old is content breaking my trail trekker in for me, my older son is so bored of that when we go drive now I drive the trekker and he drives the lnc
Old 02-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #268

New to Crawlers. Made my mind up that FOR ME the LNC is the way I want to go. Eventually I'm wanting to make it four mode four wheel steering (front, crab, four, rear)

List of what I'm going to buy,
LNC
Futaba 4PLS
Vanquish Products 2.2 DH Procomp II Wheels x2
Vanquish Products 2.2 .6 Caliber Bullet Weight Set x3
Vanquish Products 2.2 DH ProComp Beadlock Rings x2
Castle Creations 20A BEC Pro Voltage Regulator

List of what I need help with as far as best choices.
Brushed motor
ESC
Steering servos

And where the heck can I find an LNC front axle??????? I found used ones on rc-recycler.com but no new yet.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Preston; 02-02-2014 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Found information on another thread.
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #269
Defy Gravity

the steering system can easily be mounted to the rear axle, just undo the rear lock outs, then mount the steering carriers and knuckles. you'll also need another servo mount, and a second set of steering axles. probably going to need more knuckle bearings (6x12 and 5x10 though i swapped out to 5x11's after blowing up many 5x10's. just an 11mm bit on the outer bearing area) and then steering linkages.

in short, copy the front parts to the back, golden.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
the steering system can easily be mounted to the rear axle, just undo the rear lock outs, then mount the steering carriers and knuckles. you'll also need another servo mount, and a second set of steering axles. probably going to need more knuckle bearings (6x12 and 5x10 though i swapped out to 5x11's after blowing up many 5x10's. just an 11mm bit on the outer bearing area) and then steering linkages.

in short, copy the front parts to the back, golden.
I have not purchased mine yet so I was unaware that you the rear axles could be modified. That is great news. Less parts to buy! I was thinking of relocating the ESC and using that platform for the rear servo.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #271
Defy Gravity

Yeah, the axles are modular build, the esc relocation is up to you, I'm working on a new front axle plate myself, just haven't cut the proto parts for my guys to test with yet. You can fab a plate to hold a small Lipo, servo, esc, and bec with some thinking.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #272

I'm a Tinker. I'm sure I'll figure something out once I've got it in front of me. It may not be the best way the first go around but I'll figure out a way that works for my driving style.

Thanks again for the info!
Old 02-03-2014, 01:52 AM   #273
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston View Post
Vanquish Products 2.2 DH Procomp II Wheels x2
Vanquish Products 2.2 .6 Caliber Bullet Weight Set x3
Why go heavy on the wheels?
A that monetary cost you'll do better with SLW rims and knuckle weights.

Quote:
List of what I need help with as far as best choices.
Brushed motor
ESC
Steering servos
Motor and ESC: The ones the LNC comes with are okay. Once you burn the motor you'll want brushless anyway...

Servos are pretty much a matter of budget and taste. There are quite a few suitable options ranging from $15 to $150 each.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #274
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I have not purchased mine yet so I was unaware that you the rear axles could be modified. That is great news. Less parts to buy! I was thinking of relocating the ESC and using that platform for the rear servo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
Yeah, the axles are modular build, the esc relocation is up to you, I'm working on a new front axle plate myself, just haven't cut the proto parts for my guys to test with yet. You can fab a plate to hold a small Lipo, servo, esc, and bec with some thinking.

Losi made a kit that has everything you need (minus electronics) to add rear steer.

Losi Rear Steering Kit: NCR, CCR (LOSB2046) | Horizon Hobby - Radio Control R/C Planes, RC Airplanes, RC Helis and Helicopters, RC Cars, RC Trucks, RC Truggys, RC Boats, RC Radios, RC Engines, parts, hop-ups, and accessories

I wouldn't necessarily purchase the kit, but you can see what parts you need. Like ghtpdm5 does, many of the parts you can make yourself (servo plate, links). Check his stuff out, its nice stuff. Plastic knuckes ans chubs are a dime a dozen on Ebay.

And Olle P is correct, if you have not purchased motor esc yet, good idea to look sensored brushless. Mamba Max Pro and Novak Crawler 18.5 on 3s or 4s, would be my suggestion. I found both mine used (from reputable sources) totalling about $120. Solid, adjustable, forgiving setup that can grow and change with you.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #275

Did a little more research last night. Found the a fore mentioned rear steer kit and I'm with dentonmac on this. I think I'll but just the parts I really need and fab the rest. I'll be looking for a LNC schismatic that has all of the part #'s etc later today. Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier but that is why I joined a forum so as not to waste money on stuff that I don't need.

Thanks Olle P for the weight fix over expensive wheels and weights and beadlock rings and and and. I was un aware that there were knuckle weights until you mentioned it.

Joining this forum has been the best decision that I have made since I decided that I wanted a crawler. Look forward to future advice. I'm a sponge for information and will take tips from seasoned crawlers over guessing what to do myself ANY DAY!
Old 02-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #276
Defy Gravity

well, the thing here is how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?

i started with a box stock kit, few bolt on mods like wheels, tires, motor, esc, bec (you'll need it, gets the servo the power it needs to operate properly, castle creations makes a solid one), and steering servo.

then stuff got weird. stuff like the fmj and bearing mods, bearing lists (i have a thing about bearings) and the purpose built parts started happening.

did a full custom chassis design for myself, few iterations, it ended up with overkill. then the front axle plate, then it started to spiral downhill. working with a friend, did the tag wide axle kit, then got into composite wheels, and finally full circle with a new chassis that tgreer and pajey are testing for me in different forms.

point is that you can really do anything with these rigs. you can stay with a more traditional mostly stock parts layout, or you can head off the deep end on it. a lot of the parts i make are meant as comp performance upgrades, so the compers have more options. with 4 wheel steer, your rig is more of what we would call a bash setup, and for that, the stock chassis is great if you can make it work.

there is also the small segment of the losi community that does scale work like GiJoe (scale losi's yoda) and your rig would be a good start for that segment, but will take work to fit scale rules.

if you can dream it up, you can make it. just a matter of time and resources to do it.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #277
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Why go heavy on the wheels?
A that monetary cost you'll do better with SLW rims and knuckle weights.

Who makes knuckle weights these days ?
Briguy-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #278
Defy Gravity

blue monkey does if i remember right, and you may be able to sweet talk a set of d_lux out of someone.

EDIT: blue monkey

http://www.bluemonkeyrc.com/catalog/...roducts_id=167
Old 02-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #279

Well I have a feeling that I will be one of those guys that sees the bottom of the hole but never gets there no matter how hard I try. I've been throwing around the idea of an MOA KIT since I'm going to be spending so much money on a LNC right away but I just love what it can do. A little tweak here and a grand there and it will almost climb a wall. I don't think I'm ready for the complexities of an MOA since I'm just starting but I don't doubt that it could be in my future some day. There are not many Crawlers around here yet so I'll probably be building a course in my own back yard (with my wifes blessing believe it or not). I'll be trying to push some of my work buddies into the sport as some are already into the RC world and two of them have Rock Racers (Wraith and Twin Hammers). The LNC is in a different class I feel but I think that we can still have some fun in the back yard and have a beer (or two) doing it .

Last edited by Preston; 02-03-2014 at 07:18 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot and don't know what I'm talking about. lol
Old 02-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #280

So according to USRCCA rules, what I'm wanting to build is a 2.2 Super Crawler Class? Am I reading this right? It looks to me that any vehicle that has 4WS automatically falls into this class. Doesn't look like I will be entering into any competitions. I know that just starting out I will be no match for the likes of some of the rigs in that class not to mention that I will have a vehicle that doesn't even have a dig. I guess this will be a just for fun hobby for me for a long time! Not that I would have time for competitions any as I work in a division of the oilfield that does not allow time off for such things as FUN. lol. If there is work, we work, and if not, we show up at the yard and wait for work if it's a weekday. Lots of fun!