Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 06:53 AM   #21

I am fixing to swap in a LCC tranny into my LNC... will the LNC shafts work with the LCC tranny?
Mongopotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongopotamus View Post
I am fixing to swap in a LCC tranny into my LNC... will the LNC shafts work with the LCC tranny?
I think Packman on here tired that and it keep wanting to bind up when it flexed.
lt99ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:38 AM   #23

Default 11.1 v battery?

i noticed on losi's site that jake wrights comp set up includes an 11.1v battery. would this be advisable for the stock motor , and electronics of the night crawler ?
krqxpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #24
Rock Stacker

Default LCC Q's

Wat brushed motor/esc should i use in the lcc? and also wat gear should i use?
rockcrawler150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder

On the subject of the titan motor the lnc and 3s and the stock esc, I have tried it (with a castle bec), good wheel speed minimal heat(no world ending fires). What I have experienced is my motor still pauses in reverse and I get superficial binding once and a while (seems bound but amps dont go up). I think that the 21t might be too fast a motor for the esc.
Zimm98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

Default lcc motor/esc

Will an Integy Matrix Pro Lathe 55t motor work with the stock LNC esc in a lcc?
Old 02-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

OOO... are you using the stock LNC driveshafts on the LCC tranny? The LCC tranny has slip shafts which extend and collapse as the suspension travels... IIRC the LNC uses solid dog-bone style drive shafts with a long receiver at the tranny end to allow for travel, that would cause it to bind really bad when weight or flex is added to the LNC
artsifrtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

For the shaft hitting the links when you limit your travel you help or keep the tires from falling in to the big deep holes and your Local Rock Pile so the truck can span over the deep holes and not fall in, That is the biggest help with limiting your shocks and then it also will not rub the drive line any more.
jacobflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrawler150 View Post
Quote:
Will an Integy Matrix Pro Lathe 55t motor work with the stock LNC esc in a lcc?
I'm not to sure about brushed motors in either lnc or lcc. The gear ratios are too low as far as is see it. So I went brushless and most do also. I know that's not what you want to hear.... but from what I see around here is the brushed motors don't last all that long. So If you start adding up the price of motors you'll wind up spending the money in the long run.
rugerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

A 55 will work but have no where near enough speed. You'll be better off with a 35t.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
Exactly. Motor turn's do not affect gear ratio's as the final ratio is determined by the gears of the motor pinion, transmission and worm gears.

Maybe if you looked at it in 1:1 scale that would help.

Take a Chevy Nova for example. Using the same transmission and same rear end gears the final drive ratio doesn't change when you swap the 305 motor out for a 454.....right? Sure you gain some tire shredding performance with the 454 but that is in the motor not the gearing.

Same applies here. A smaller turn motor will increase the wheel speed, but the gearing didn't change....the motor did.

The subject is about getting the same wheel speed out of the LNC as the LCC.

Both rigs are running the same motor / ESC / battery setup but the wheel speeds are different.

As I am sure you know, the worm gears are the same in both rigs so that rules out them affecting gear ratio's. The motor pinions could be the same tooth count so that rules out them affecting gear ratio's.....so what is left?

The transmission.....and there in-lies the difference. The gear ratio of the LCC crawler tranny is different than the LNC.

I don't believe there are tranny gears available for the LNC that are not stock tooth count. And I don't care about being the "LCC Master" as I already stated in the disclaimer portion of my first post...I am not an expert but rather somebody willing to help those new to the LCC and LNC.
Glad you could clarify...The way you were explaining it sounded like you were
swapping tranny gears. So right from the gecko I was saying Ratio is only
changed from motor turn & pinion size. I think when you tried to explain it too
intensely, you confused me....I like simple answers..

18.5 with a 18t...The chart is based from a 2S lipo on a 18.5, not a 3S. They
are trying to get the motor back compared to there 21.5 3S listed in the
manual...Makes sense to me.
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Brushed motors do not work so well with the LCC. The worm gears take quite a bit of power to turn so the brushed motors have a tendency to get hot and they have poor wheel speed. Some guys will run 35T brushed motors with some success but the wheel speed and torque will not compare to that of a BL motor.

Brushless motors are by far the most popular for the LCC. Novak makes a great setup in both 2s and 3s Goat systems. Losi has their Excelorin system that work great too.

I know BL motors cost more, but you will be far happier with the performance. There are a few choices for BL motors, but to get good performance you will need to look for a motor turn of 13.5 to 21.5 that is sensored. As far as the speed controller look for one that has a setting for NO DRAG BRAKES as the LCC doesn't require them.

I run the Novak Goat 2s in mine with good results on a 12T pinion. A 14T pinion worked good too, but had to be careful or the motor would get hot. I would have ran a 13T pinion in mine, if I had one that wasn't made by RRP.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Ok, hopefully when I get home from Chicago I can start putting mine together.

I have a Goat 3s, 18.5t and ordered a battery from MaxAmps last night:
# 2000mah Capacity
# 7.4 Volts
# 45mm X 69mm X 18mm
# 60C - 880 surge watts(120 amps)
# 120 grams
# 5C Fast Charge Capable

I have a 12t, 13t and a 14t pinion.

So which pinion would you run 13t ? Also am I going to sorry I didn't go with a 3s battery?

Ordering V3 CVDs tonight also, anything else I should look at, other than the usual loose screws and greasing?
sledge57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #34
RCC Addict

OK here is one for you guys...

LCC, Mamba Max Pro (high start power, low timing, sensored mode), Novak 21.5T motor, using a 3S lipo...

All is hooked up, but it cogs worse than any set-up I've ever seen! I've had sensorless set-ups that were smoother than this. This all got started by the Goat 3S esc shutting down randomly (including flat ground). Originally thought it was the esc... now with Mamba Max Pro, I get some nasty cogging.

So.. time for a new motor or what? Cracked the motor apart, found 1 broken sensor wire which I fixed, no other real problems. After fixing the sensor wire, it is still a cogging mofo.

No signs of scorching or other issues, but I'm gathering the smoked motor smell isn't like that new car smell where you want to have it This was apparent when I split the motor to look at it tonight.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge57 View Post
Ok, hopefully when I get home from Chicago I can start putting mine together.

I have a Goat 3s, 18.5t and ordered a battery from MaxAmps last night:
# 2000mah Capacity
# 7.4 Volts
# 45mm X 69mm X 18mm
# 60C - 880 surge watts(120 amps)
# 120 grams
# 5C Fast Charge Capable

I have a 12t, 13t and a 14t pinion.

So which pinion would you run 13t ? Also am I going to sorry I didn't go with a 3s battery?

Ordering V3 CVDs tonight also, anything else I should look at, other than the usual loose screws and greasing?
If you want my honest opinion....putting a 2s LiPo in a 3s setup is like putting a 4 cylinder in place of a V8. Yeah, it will work but you will never utilize it's full potential.

The battery you bought sounds like a good one, but you will get much more torque and wheel speed if you had gone with a 3s version.

I run the Goat 2s Crawler system in my LCC and it does pretty good and has plenty of power and decent wheel speed, but it is currently torn apart awaiting the Novak 3s with 18.5T Ballistic motor.

I would start with the 13t pinion and see how that works. If your motor runs cool all the time, you might try the 14t. I run a 14t in mine once in a while, but I have to keep on top of the maintenance otherwise I run into heat trouble. The 12t works good too, but at a sacrifice to some wheel speed.

V3's are definitely the way to go. My LCC is awaiting a set of those too.

Make sure you double check the spool shims and make sure there are only one per side, then pack as much grease into the housing (between the spool bearings) as you can.

Loctite the driveshaft set screws and you should be good to go.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedcrawler View Post
OK here is one for you guys...

LCC, Mamba Max Pro (high start power, low timing, sensored mode), Novak 21.5T motor, using a 3S lipo...

All is hooked up, but it cogs worse than any set-up I've ever seen! I've had sensorless set-ups that were smoother than this. This all got started by the Goat 3S esc shutting down randomly (including flat ground). Originally thought it was the esc... now with Mamba Max Pro, I get some nasty cogging.

So.. time for a new motor or what? Cracked the motor apart, found 1 broken sensor wire which I fixed, no other real problems. After fixing the sensor wire, it is still a cogging mofo.

No signs of scorching or other issues, but I'm gathering the smoked motor smell isn't like that new car smell where you want to have it This was apparent when I split the motor to look at it tonight.

Sounds like you may have a broken wire in the sensor harness. Has the motor gotten extremely hot? The smoked motor smell isn't good.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
Sounds like you may have a broken wire in the sensor harness. Has the motor gotten extremely hot? The smoked motor smell isn't good.
No more than 165-170ish but that has been with ambient temps around 30-40 ish

sensor wire harness was in good shape, it was something internal that I can't find.

It is easily solved by putting a new motor in
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Now i know i should go brushless on the lcc i am (planning) to get. thanks. But now which brushless system, or brushless motor/esc combination do u reccomend?
Old 02-06-2010, 07:35 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Now i know i should go brushless on the lcc i am (planning) to get. thanks. But now which brushless system, or brushless motor/esc combination do u reccomend?
Goat 3s 18.5 12t pinion
samdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
If you want my honest opinion....putting a 2s LiPo in a 3s setup is like putting a 4 cylinder in place of a V8. Yeah, it will work but you will never utilize it's full potential.

The battery you bought sounds like a good one, but you will get much more torque and wheel speed if you had gone with a 3s version.

I run the Goat 2s Crawler system in my LCC and it does pretty good and has plenty of power and decent wheel speed, but it is currently torn apart awaiting the Novak 3s with 18.5T Ballistic motor.

I would start with the 13t pinion and see how that works. If your motor runs cool all the time, you might try the 14t. I run a 14t in mine once in a while, but I have to keep on top of the maintenance otherwise I run into heat trouble. The 12t works good too, but at a sacrifice to some wheel speed.

V3's are definitely the way to go. My LCC is awaiting a set of those too.

Make sure you double check the spool shims and make sure there are only one per side, then pack as much grease into the housing (between the spool bearings) as you can.

Loctite the driveshaft set screws and you should be good to go.

Thanks, I went for the 2s battery with the Goat 3s because I'm paranoid of overheating, was trying to sneak up on it and stay on the safe side.

I've bit the bullet now so I'll just have to see how it works for me.

I don't expect to set the world on fire anyway, just have a little fun
sledge57 is offline   Reply With Quote