Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #161
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdManVRX View Post
It looks like I've rounded off the inside of dig shaft horn that slots into the groove in the dig shaft, so now there is no resistance. I've ordered a new set.

I have some more questions regarding springs and shocks. I notice in the Losi parts list of hop-ups for the LCC that you can get various colours of springs with different ratings. Does the higher rating mean a stiffer spring?
You can also get different coloured shock pistons. These do not have ratings listed. What significance does the colour of the shock piston have? Is it an indicator of which weight oil to use ? As I see that the different weight oils also come in different coloured bottles. Why would you use a different weight shock oil ?? Do you need to match Spring, piston and oil colour for best results ?

OK I'll stop now ...
Losi spring rates - lightest to stiffest
A-5144 2.75" Spring 1.2 Rate (black)
A-5144 2.75" Spring 1.4 Rate (Gold)
A-5146 2.75" Spring 1.6 Rate (Gray)
A-5147 2.75" Spring 1.8 Rate (White) - stock
A-5148 2.75" Spring 2.0 Rate (Yellow)
A-5150 2.5" Spring 2.3 Rate (Pink)
A-5152 2.5" Spring 2.6 Rate (Red)
A-5154 2.5" Spring 2.9 Rate (Orange)
A-5156 2.5" Spring 3.4 Rate (Silver)
A-5158 2.5" Spring 3.7 Rate (Green)
A-5160 2.5" Spring 4.1 Rate (Blue)

Pistons
- Bigger number equals smaller hole
60 - natural

57 - Black

56 - Red
(stock)
55 - Orange

54 - Blue

Shock oils - Smaller number equals thinner. So, 20wt would have faster action than 60wt.

That is the beauty of all the colors and numbers. you can run what ever combination works for you. Slower damping, faster rebound. It takes time and patience to get it right. I still have a lot to learn.

I run..
Springs - Blacks/front and Golds/rear.
Pistons - 56 in both. Thinking about 57s up front.
Oil Weight - 35w in both.

Others will disagree with my setup, but works pretty good. I still need to do more tuning. Sadly, there are endless possibilities with shock tuning. Then you have the angle of the shock (laid down vs upright), then you have inboard upper link adjustments. Both of which will change everything about the shock tuning.

Hope that helps, or blows your mind.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #162

Default Re: New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here!

Hey. im glad you decided to help guys like me lol. so i just bought a lnc. i haven't got it yet. i picked the cheapest shipping lol. iv looked up what ppl dpnt like about it ans the two major thing i noticed are: the tires suck and the steering servo is crap. is that true? and if you could let me know of anything else that would be great! oh and i just bought a venom7.2V 3300mAh NiMH, i hears it a good battery for the lnc.
NightCrawlerNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #163
Rock Crawler

most people will recommend lipo batteries and i do the same. they have better power, and smaller size and weight. if your gonna just play around the nimh battery will be ok, but if you plan on any really good crawling, the lighter weight and smaller size will help tons.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #164

ok, i will most likely buy a lipo. but i just wonted to try a crawler out. i just sold my savage XL. so im a bit worried that i wont like it. but if i find i dont like the lnc ill buy a axial wraith. i tried one and it was sooo fun!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #165
Rock Crawler

well you may be disappointed then. the losi, along with rigs like the axial ax10 and xr10, are comp style crawlers. the losi is slow. i mean REAL slow. they are not meant for any high speed stuff, just slow crawling in rocks. i would go to the video section (or youtube) and watch some videos.

if you actually like crawling, then you will really like the losi. it is a great crawler out of the box, and gets even better with some modifications.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #166

thanks. i have a feeling i will like it then. i love watching things like the body twist and the tires squish weird stuff like that lol. i just wanted to know if it was an ok crawler. its hard to tell from what ppl say.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #167
Rock Crawler

as far as out of the box, ready to run stock crawlers. it's the best.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #168
NFG
Pebble Pounder

I just moved up to a Losi Comp Crawler from a Night Crawler. The Dig is awesome. Also the lower gearing is killer. I bought a Race Roller and added my own electrics. I am running a Sidwinder ESC ON 3s Lippos. I thought I would try the Novaculite Rock Sar motor and so far it seems a good pairing. It has tons of torque.

Have Comped it twice now and it is way better than the LNC. Every time out I have been tweaking little things and it keeps getting better. My latest mod has been Boss Claws. On the granite we drive on they have killer grip. It took a while to wear them in but they keep getting better.

I see myself sticking with this rig for a long time. I am stocking up on parts....
NFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #169
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFG View Post
I just moved up to a Losi Comp Crawler from a Night Crawler. The Dig is awesome. Also the lower gearing is killer.
Lower gearing?
With the same pinion it's the LNC that has the lower gearing...
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #170
Rock Crawler

I have just bought an lcc. I am going to be putting in an lrp spx speed control with a novak 17.5. The esc only take 2s lipo so I have to run that for now. What gearing do you recommend? I assume I can gear a little tall because it's on lower voltage? I am going to be driving this in my local wash, not sure if I will be climbing or just driving around over stuff at first. There is certainly stuff to climb but not sure if I want to try that yet.

How often should the worm boxes be filled with lube/grease? And what kind of grease do I use? I plan on doing the drill hole method when it needs lube.
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #171
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by z50king View Post
How often should the worm boxes be filled with lube/grease? And what kind of grease do I use? I plan on doing the drill hole method when it needs lube.

I grease mine monthly and use lithium chassis grease. I drilled ports on both sides of the housing. That way some of the old grease gets pushed out the other side as the new grease is added. Jerry
jgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #172

So i bought a lcc from a guy it runs great with little maintenance other than driveshaft pins falling out and the occasional broken part. I compete locally and have the only shafty in the bunch but I hang quite well. Back to the point I want to put 30 degree lower links on my rig to get a lil more clearance. But I'm afraid of the alxes rolling forward and my steering getting into a bad position. Has anyone put bent pi. Ks on their lcc? Help pls
macbeth666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #173

I just got a new to me LNC and had a few questions. I am upgradeing to a Lipo, not the best kind but it is a Capacity: 5000mAh
Voltage: 2S1P / 2 Cell / 7.4v
Discharge: 20C Constant / 30C Burst

I am thinking about upgrading the engine, and whant to know if I can use my losi SCT brushless engine, and if so what mods will I have to make to get it to work. The engine is a Xcelorin 4500Kv brushless motor. Will this work?
Middside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #174
RCC Addict

You can make that motor work, by using a small pinion. Start at 12T, and in the unlikely event that the motor doesn't get very hot in ten minutes you might even consider using a slightly larger pinion.

The motor is far from ideal though. A sensored motor with Kv 2,000 or less is recommended for crawlers. Your motor provides less torque while pulling more power from the battery which results in high motor temps. On top of that the lack of sensor will likely make cogging a problem at low speeds.

(Your choice of battery isn't the best either, with too much weight being added on top of the vehicle.)
Old 05-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #175

Well, the battery was the best I could get for the moment, just short on cash after the initial purchase. Thanks for the tips on the motor though, still not sure if I want to make the switch, just may stay with stock motor. I just happen to have the brushless laying around in my SCT that isnt working at the moment, so wasn't sure what to do with the damn thing.

Last edited by Middside; 05-22-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #176
Rock Crawler

for batteries, check out hobbypartz.com. i run sky lipo 800mah 3s packs. at $7 apiece they are a great deal
Old 05-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #177
RCC Addict

If you stick with the standard motor and ESC don't use 3S LiPos. Stick to 2S.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #178

On that note, what is the cheapest, yet still ok, brushless motor I can upgrade too while keeping the stock ESC.? Or, can I switch out a novak goat 3s with the stock esc.? Or get the novak goat 3s motor and esc. and still use my 2.4 ghz transmitter? If I do get the novak goat 3s motor and esc will it work with the stock gears already in the LNC ?

Last edited by Middside; 05-23-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #179
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middside View Post
On that note, what is the cheapest, yet still ok, brushless motor I can upgrade too while keeping the stock ESC.? Or, can I switch out a novak goat 3s with the stock esc.? Or get the novak goat 3s motor and esc. and still use my 2.4 ghz transmitter? If I do get the novak goat 3s motor and esc will it work with the stock gears already in the LNC ?
IMO the best and cheapest ESC for brushless crawling is the Mamba Max Pro. I have also found that a 17.5 with 14 tooth pinion best suits the LNC/LCC (but that is personal preference). I am currently running the Speedpassion Sportsman 17.5 (it's what I had laying around while making the decision between Duo 3 17.5 and waiting on the New 4 pole Tekin) with the MMP, it is doing a pretty good job, no complaints.

So, MMP about $100, descent 17.5 about $50 - $150ish and you have a good quality system. Goat 3s system - about $200. I would be wary of going with a cheapo sensored ESC, you will be spending that again. Ask me how I know!

I would avoid Novak ESCs. Heard way more bad than good, so I stay away. Their motors are pretty good though.

The stock gears will be fine, they are pretty stout. Never had a problem.

Hope it helps.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #180

Can you link to the motor and esc. ?