Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here!

I am tired of seeing thread after thread asking the same questions. What motor do I use, why did my 55T go up in smoke, what are worms and how do I know if they are bad, why do my pins fall out...etc...etc.

While I do not claim to be an expert of any kind...I do have a few hundred hours crawling with a LCC and a few hundred more working on one. I have learned a lot through trial and error and learned even more through hours of reading and research. I have read just about every thread and post in this section and I am willing to answer anybody's question about a Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler. Since I don't have Moderator abilities here, I can't merge all the noob questions into one very useful thread, but if everybody posts their questions here, we can build one.

So having said all that.......if you are new to the LCC or LNC and you have a question, please post it HERE!!

I am more than willing to answer any question and there is no such thing as a stupid question but it does get aggravating reading through 150 threads that contain the same Q & A's.

I am here just about every day...and several times a day on most days. Your question won't go unanswered for very long. There are quite a few guys on here with just as much experience if not more, that will answer the questions too.

If I can't answer your question...there is no doubt that somebody here can.

Here is my Losi Comp Crawler. I have just about every upgrade part on it already, and it is currently tore down for more upgrades and modifications. The picture doesn't reflect all the upgrades and mod's, but once it is reassembled I will post a more up to date photo.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

have you herd of anybody changing the tranny gears out on a lnc to get more wheel speed, it has a novak 18.5 in it right now?
whillinwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Who woulda guessed it.....the first question is one that I don't have an answer for.

I am not sure if there are different gear combo's for the LNC transmission. I would think a brushless motor would produce far more wheel speed than the stock motor. I ran a 55T in my LCC till the sticker on the side of the can caught on fire, then upgraded to the Goat 2s system with the 18.5t motor and the difference in wheel speed was huge.

You could try going up a few teeth on the pinion gear, but keep an eye on the motor making sure it doesn't build too much heat.

Wheel speed comes in handy once in a while, but slow buttery smooth crawling and proper chassis setup is far more beneficial.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

ya i have a lcc with the 18.5 and my buddy has the lnc we just put the motor in and it helped alot but still still would like alittle more wheel speed just thought i would ask. He wonts a lcc tranny just need to find one for him
Old 02-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

How does the wheel speed compare to your LCC?

What pinion is he running in the LNC?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

not even close to the lcc with a 13 tooth pinion and the lnc with a 15 tooth for now, we didnt get much time to test on motor temps and pinions yet.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whillinwillys View Post
not even close to the lcc with a 13 tooth pinion and the lnc with a 15 tooth for now, we didnt get much time to test on motor temps and pinions yet.
Might try a 13.5T motor if your running a 2s LiPo....wouldn't go lower than 18.5T with a 3s.

Could shop around and pickup a cheap LCC tranny from one of the MOA guys too.

I am not sure what else to tell you. I haven't read anything on doing gear swaps in a LNC, so I doubt that would be an option.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #8

the 55 turn was just too slow for me if the lnc flipped over its almost impossible to right itself

ive read about people using the 21 turn titan motor so I got one for my lnc and on 2c it seems to draw too much power then moves and if i hit reverse it sits then goes .....

are people using the 21 turn titan motor using 3s ?

and has anyone tried the lnc esc on 3s i know its not reccomended but the bec is handled by a cc bec so maybe ??

I also tried a 35 turn hpi satur with 20 pinion similar reults but almost driveable
with 15 pinion and 35 turn its about the same as 20 pinion and 55 turn

is there a good combo for the stock esc

im wonding if im going to have to go brushless :?
four12unner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:45 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whillinwillys View Post
I dug the owners manuals out for both the LNC and the LCC....so maybe this will help you out.

LNC Gear Ratio****** LCC Gear Ratio
12t - 104.19:1 ******12t - 83.25:1
13t - 96.18:1 *******13t - 77.1:1
14t - 89.31:1 *******14t - 71.5:1
15t - 83.55:1 *******15t - 66.5:1
16t - 78.14:1 *******16t - 62.5:1
17t - 73.55:1 *******17t - 59.1:1
18t - 69.46:1 *******18t - 55.75:1
19t - 85.80:1 *******19t - 52.5:1
20t - 62.51:1 *******20t - 50.1:1
21t - 59.54:1 *******21t - 47.5:1
22t - 56.83:1 *******22t - 45.5:1
23t - 54.36:1 *******23t - 43.25:1
24t - 52.09:1 *******24t - 41.4:1
25t - 50.01:1 *******25t - 40.1:1

As you can see if you are running a 13T pinion in the LCC you will need to run at least a 16T pinion in the LNC to get close to the same ratio.

Not sure how well your motor will like that...but if you try it, please let me know how it works out for you.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:58 AM   #10
RCC Addict

They don't have different tranny gears....

Straight out of the LCC owners manual. Two pages in from the back.

Motor/battery Combo Suggestions.

Although gearing will vary from motor/battery configurations, out Team Drivers
have found that while using a 3S LiPo setup with a 21.5 brushless motor, a 18
tooth pinion provided a good wheel speed and torque. The same pinion also
worked well with a 2S LiPo and an 18.5 brushless motor.

Pinion Final Drive Ratio
12 - 83.25:1
13 - 77:1
14 - 71.5:1
15 - 66.5:1
16 - 62.5:1
17 - 59:1
18 - 55.75:1
19 - 52.5:1
20 - 50:1
21 - 47.5:1
22 - 45.5:1
23 - 43.25:1
24 - 41.5:1
25 - 40:1
26 - 38.25:1
27 - 37:1
28 - 35.75:1

Last edited by fa1rch1ld; 02-05-2010 at 01:03 AM.
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:04 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

a buddy of mine had the 18.5 in his lcc still had problems and went to the moa conversion seen better results with that or getting the correct worm gears
liverkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:06 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by four12unner View Post
the 55 turn was just too slow for me if the lnc flipped over its almost impossible to right itself

ive read about people using the 21 turn titan motor so I got one for my lnc and on 2c it seems to draw too much power then moves and if i hit reverse it sits then goes .....

are people using the 21 turn titan motor using 3s ?
Yes.

Quote:
and has anyone tried the lnc esc on 3s i know its not reccomended but the bec is handled by a cc bec so maybe ??
DO NOT use a 3s LiPo with the stock ESC. Bad things will happen and a fire may result.

Quote:
I also tried a 35 turn hpi satur with 20 pinion similar reults but almost driveable
with 15 pinion and 35 turn its about the same as 20 pinion and 55 turn
You might try a higher tooth pinion gear to get more speed, but at a sacrifice to low end torque. I am not sure why you are having stalling issues with the 21T motor and a 2s LiPo. I do know there were some issues with the stock ESC. You could try switching out ESC's. I like the Tekin FX-R Pro in my Berg...it is designed for brushed motors.

Quote:
is there a good combo for the stock esc

im wonding if im going to have to go brushless :?
Brushless works the best for the LCC so it would stand to reason that brushless would be good for the LNC too.
The Novak Goat system is pretty popular in both the 2s and 3s versions.

What are you running for a battery? Could be the battery doesn't provide sufficient punch to start the motor under its initial load.
My 2s LiPo's are rated 40 amp continuous and 80 amp burst and you can tell a difference when you punch the throttle from a stand still. It lights the tires up for a second then it slightly drops off.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:09 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverkiller1 View Post
a buddy of mine had the 18.5 in his lcc still had problems and went to the moa conversion seen better results with that or getting the correct worm gears
Going MOA will only cause more power/torque/runtime problems...been there,
done that...
Old 02-05-2010, 01:12 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa1rch1ld View Post
They don't have different tranny gears....
Wrong!!
They DO have different gears in the transmission which is pretty obvious by the side by side gear ratio's that I just posted. The worms are the same, and the motor pinions are the same but the gear ratio is different because the transmission gears are different.

And for a side note....even though the owners manual says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSI
Although gearing will vary from motor/battery configurations, our Team Drivers
have found that while using a 3S LiPo setup with a 21.5 brushless motor, a 18 tooth pinion provided a good wheel speed and torque. The same pinion also worked well with a 2S LiPo and an 18.5 brushless motor.
I don't know of anybody running a pinion larger than a 14t. The 18t is just too much gear for the motor.

Last edited by Mad Dawg; 02-05-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:23 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverkiller1 View Post
Not sure exactly what you are trying to say here.....but, the MOA LCC is a completely different animal.

It is like comparing a race horse to a pack mule! They might be similar in appearance but they are not even close in performance.

Last edited by Mad Dawg; 02-05-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:26 AM   #16
RCC Addict

The ratio is based on a 21.5 with different pinion sizes...Ratio is determined by
what pinion your using...I'm almost positive every ratio listed is based from a
21.5 with different pinion sizes..If you find me a link to different tranny gears
that are not stock tooth count...I would love to see it. If I'm wrong, I will gladly
take the defeat and you can be the LCC master...
Old 02-05-2010, 01:57 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ratio is determined by what pinion your using...I'm almost positive every ratio listed is based from a 21.5 with different pinion sizes..
Exactly. Motor turn's do not affect gear ratio's as the final ratio is determined by the gears of the motor pinion, transmission and worm gears.

Maybe if you looked at it in 1:1 scale that would help.

Take a Chevy Nova for example. Using the same transmission and same rear end gears the final drive ratio doesn't change when you swap the 305 motor out for a 454.....right? Sure you gain some tire shredding performance with the 454 but that is in the motor not the gearing.

Same applies here. A smaller turn motor will increase the wheel speed, but the gearing didn't change....the motor did.

The subject is about getting the same wheel speed out of the LNC as the LCC.

Both rigs are running the same motor / ESC / battery setup but the wheel speeds are different.

As I am sure you know, the worm gears are the same in both rigs so that rules out them affecting gear ratio's. The motor pinions could be the same tooth count so that rules out them affecting gear ratio's.....so what is left?

The transmission.....and there in-lies the difference. The gear ratio of the LCC crawler tranny is different than the LNC.

Quote:
If you find me a link to different tranny gears
that are not stock tooth count...I would love to see it. If I'm wrong, I will gladly take the defeat and you can be the LCC master...
I don't believe there are tranny gears available for the LNC that are not stock tooth count. And I don't care about being the "LCC Master" as I already stated in the disclaimer portion of my first post...I am not an expert but rather somebody willing to help those new to the LCC and LNC.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:08 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

in my lnc im running stock gearing thru a 35t handwound motor and 20 tooth pinion with a 7.4v 2200mah 2cell lipo exelllent wheel speed and good torque no heat issues at all

hope this helps

paul
missions1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:18 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

hey if you want lcc speed buy a lcc not lnc lol.like the bs back and forth. i almost went lnc but changed my mind and so glad i did,now only if i had of gone brushless in the first place lol instead i have a 45t tekin combo that keeps me company at my hobby bench.

like the trick cage on your lcc
crazz from bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:25 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Default shaft rub

what about that good old shaft rub on link? what or did you do with that? i trimmed some of the outer drive shaft tube and dremaled a section in lower link just barley rubs,i know most say limit travel but whats the piont of a crawler then might as well get a tamiya lol sorry bad joke.

also i agree anything more then a 14 tooth makes heat and less run time imo i like the 13 tooth with the ballistic 18.5 gggggoat 3s on a 11.1 lipo sweet deal
crazz from bc is offline   Reply With Quote