Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: robinson pinion question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default robinson pinion question

So if you've seen some of my recent post I just got the LCC. WOOOHOO....anyway I went out and picked up some pinions. I got the robinson racing pinions 13 through 15. This is my question. The usable surface of the pinion doesn't go all the way across the gear in the tranny. Was I supposed to get pinions with larger usable areas on them? What I'm saying by usable area is the area that has the set screw obviously cant run out where the tranny gear is or you would have issues. The current pinions cover about half the tranny gear. Will this be enough or will I end up with a stripped gear. Are there some different pinions that would have been better for me? Thanks.
hellacool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

My LHS had some Losi pinions that, amazingly, fit perfect, :-P Anyway if its only covering half the spur gear then maybe get longer pinions, but its not absolutely necessary for the pinion and spur to be the exact same width.
dave56bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
RCC Addict

The pinions you have will work perfect...It doesn't need to cover the entire spur
gear
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have some brand I don't even remember the name of that seems cheap. In reality though they work perfect. If it doesn't slip or strip my gears I can't see why I would spend more to get something else. My pinion gear also does not run clear across the spur gear.

I am actually pretty shocked how much force it deals with. During some testing I was holding the rig down progressively harder while applying the throttle to see if I was having any issues and the force it pulls with is pretty substantial. Somewhere on youtube there is a video of a 60-70lb kid being drug across the carpet by a Traxxas Summit, curious to see the inside of that tranny.
Iberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #5

I was using the robinso pinions gears as well...With a ballistic 21.5t brushless on 4S and a 14t pinion I ate the idler gear for lunch....Use the LOSI pinions didnt have a problem till I went up to the 14t robinson pinion...SOme applications where your pushing more power the extra gear coverage will be needed...just my experience...
crawlercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I beveled the motor side portion of the idler gear just enough to get the pinion more to the middle of it. I have been running it like this for around 6 months without problems.

12T RR pinion
corkysk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

My LCC ate the idler gear on the second pack. IMO it had a lot to do with the clutch being to tight. If you get the LCC in a bind with the clutch to tight the brushless power will take teeth off the idler gear.
Mikeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

works fine half way covered for me and if you do strip one side of the spur, just flip it!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:57 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlercop View Post
Use the LOSI pinions didnt have a problem till I went up to the 14t robinson pinion...
IMO RRP pinions are junk!
I stripped the spur gear in my LCC running a Robinson 14t pinion. Replaced the spur gear and the pinion with one from Losi, and haven't had a problem since.

RRP pinions are soft, not quite to spec, slightly off pitch.....just a cheap generic version of the real deal.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote