Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: LNC issues...HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:42 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default LNC issues...HELP!

So I am totally new to the whole RC thing and I have been loving my LNC. I haven't been able to find any other info on here with the same unique situation I have. I am all stock except for 6oz front, 3oz rear wheel weights with prilone epic wheels, and proline chisels. I have had it for a couple of months now and it seems like my performance has gone downhill. I am running a 7.2V NiMH stick pack because I can't afford to go Lipo right now. It seems like I run out of torque quicker than before now and it gets bound up in the rocks in high traction situations way easier than it used to. I am wondering if my motor is on it's way out??? If it was weaker would I lose torque quicker while the battery runs down?

The advice I need from you guys is what motor/pinion combo would work best for me running the NiMH battery. I would like more wheelspeed than stock but I want the torque so I don't bind up so easily.
timh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

LiPo's are cheap... http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s..._(DE_Warehouse) or http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=2227

How many charge/discharge cycles have you gone through, and do you completely discharge the NiMH before you recharge? They can get a memory... Does your charger show you how many mA your battery takes during a charge?
artsifrtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Holdin my 40oz.

You wont be able to get more wheelspeed than stock and still get the torque you need to not stall the motor, it's just not possible. I would drop about 2-3 teeth off of what comes stock with the chisels, as their added size puts more stress on the motor. Or drop a tooth off and go back to the stock tires. Unfortunately, that's the best advice I can give you. Upgrade to brushless as soon as you can afford to, and you'll be happy cuase you'll get both wheelspeed and torque.
Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsifrtsi View Post
LiPo's are cheap... http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s..._(DE_Warehouse) or http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=2227

How many charge/discharge cycles have you gone through, and do you completely discharge the NiMH before you recharge? They can get a memory... Does your charger show you how many mA your battery takes during a charge?
It's not necessarily the batteries but he charger I can't afford right now. I have maybe 20 cycles between both of my batteries now. I don't fully discharge them. I didn't think the NiMH had a memory???

I'll have to look at my charger, I haven't done much other than just charge them up and go! Ill sit down and really look at it tonight!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikax10 View Post
You wont be able to get more wheelspeed than stock and still get the torque you need to not stall the motor, it's just not possible. I would drop about 2-3 teeth off of what comes stock with the chisels, as their added size puts more stress on the motor. Or drop a tooth off and go back to the stock tires. Unfortunately, that's the best advice I can give you. Upgrade to brushless as soon as you can afford to, and you'll be happy cuase you'll get both wheelspeed and torque.
I was thinking about throwing the stock tires back on until I can get a brushless, maybe I'll do that and try dropping a tooth on the pinion.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Friend uses this charger with no issues... http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...lancer/Charger

I use this charger... http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...(USA_Warehouse)

I just modded an old computer PSU to give me the 12VDC supply... My charger more than handles the demand that I put on it keeping batteries fresh for 2 crawlers.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

nickel metals DO NOT have a Memory and as far as your situation about torque drop your pinion like 3 teeth and that will help with lack of torque and such.............pm me your address and ill send you a 2 cell lipo for free if you have a lipo charger
KrawlerKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlerKing View Post
nickel metals DO NOT have a Memory and as far as your situation about torque drop your pinion like 3 teeth and that will help with lack of torque and such.............pm me your address and ill send you a 2 cell lipo for free if you have a lipo charger
PM sent!
Old 02-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Talking

So if I send a PM do I get a lipo for my night crawler? I have the charger:-P
Voteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #10

Why don't you just spend $35 and get a better motor like a integy 35t or 45t. Will be a world of difference. If you put a different motor on it you can also elimnate the capicators if your using a lipo.
rockcreepin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

i had the same problem it turned out to be the motor so i swapped it out for an infinity 35t hand wound motor on the standard lnc pinion and using 2cell lipo has made a huge diffrence

paul
missions1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcreepin' View Post
Why don't you just spend $35 and get a better motor like a integy 35t or 45t. Will be a world of difference. If you put a different motor on it you can also elimnate the capicators if your using a lipo.

how will a 35 turn or 45turn help with more torque??
KrawlerKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #13

35T motor will pull more amps and turn more rpm's, so take the extra wattage the 35T can produce gear down slightly and you have alot more torque
evolekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlerKing View Post
"When Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) was first introduced there was much publicity about its memory-free status. Today, it is known that this chemistry also suffers from memory but to a lesser extent than the NiCd. The positive nickel plate, a metal that is shared by both chemistries, is responsible for the crystalline formation."

It is still highly recommended to treat NiMH the same as a NiCad to prevent memory. Most battery manufacturers recommend a complete reconditioning after 10 cycles.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:24 AM   #15

Cause the stock motor is a piece of junk. It helped in my rig.
rockcreepin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:59 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I pulled it out last night and ran in a little bit. I would only take about 10 minutes on a full battery to start losing power where I couldn't climb up anything even with one tire. This happened once before where all the sudden I couldn't climb a steep rock face, I changed the setting on the ESC for a few minutes, then changed it back and it was fine after that. Do you think the ESC could be faulty???
Old 02-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I know that my LNC ESC is bad, I am getting a different problem (superficial binding) and have tried 3 different motors with no sucesses. I am upgrading to brushless.
Zimm98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

My brother in laws LNC has been experiencing the same problems that have been discussed. He just recieved his new motor so hopefully that will help for him. I also noticed his would bind only when it was articulated to the max. I had him put some spacers in the shocks to limit some of the travel and it help as well.
Jay2380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimm98 View Post
I know that my LNC ESC is bad, I am getting a different problem (superficial binding) and have tried 3 different motors with no sucesses. I am upgrading to brushless.
same here esc/stock motor ok till you add weight in tires and try comps where you just dont want to take reverse points -- then theres problems -- superficial binds suck makes me sometimes wish I had a axial

i cant wait till castle fills the orders on the mamba max pro...

Last edited by four12unner; 02-20-2010 at 12:13 AM.
four12unner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:12 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

same happened to me ;) its your battery
shadowrejects is offline   Reply With Quote