Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi worm & pinion gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Losi worm & pinion gears

I know this has already been asked but looking for any new updates. Has anyone changed from 3 shim's front and back of pinion gear and 1 shim on each side of spool? One of our guys changed the sim count on the pinion gear and drew me to raise this question again. I've gone through 3 sets since last summer and it has not been over used. Also what's your opinion of the best lube for the worm's?

This is the last issue that has kept me thinking about switching to Bully's. After MOA, BLC gears, Rhino 1050 mah 40c batteries, and new high clearence chassis, I've been real happy with it.
no2hud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I have been using a Valvoline synthetic grease with good luck. Brought my worm gear temps down about 10 or 15 degrees. I can now run 15 minutes straight and the axle temps are right around 110 degrees. I have been running 1 shim on each side of the outdrives and the normal 3 on each side of the input, seems to be working pretty well. I have tried to get in the habit of giving the worms a shot of fresh grease once a week, usually the night before my Sunday comps, probably doesn't hurt.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I know a lot of people are using Lucas Oil Red and Tacky it is what i use and it works great i can run mine for 30min and the axles are just warm to the touch. and davec is right you have to add grease regularly have you done the grease port mod on the axles? it just makes it easier!
darkmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmanx View Post
I know a lot of people are using Lucas Oil Red and Tacky it is what i use and it works great i can run mine for 30min and the axles are just warm to the touch. and davec is right you have to add grease regularly have you done the grease port mod on the axles? it just makes it easier!
I agree 100% on the grease and the shim count. the factory says one each side they should know,,,,and do the grease hole mod,,,fill them regularly and while turning the wheels slowly,,,
grouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #5

I personally havent had any trouble with mine,but im going to surface harden a set and give them a try.The compound hardens about 3 thousanths deep yet they wont end up being to brittle.That should keep them alive indefinitly.
1428turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Which one (front or back or both) have you had problems with? I did not have any worm problems until the V3's came out. My front worm went about a month after I put the V3's in. I was able to stress the truck without worry of breaking axles, so next in line was the worm I guess.
corkysk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

last week i switched to antiseeze in mine and the back axle was really warm, and the front was cold. but after a while my motor temps were 190 and up i new some thing was wrong. so after i tore the whole truck apart and found out that the imput gear on the front axle was missing half a thread. now i dont know if it was from the antiseeze or a bad bearing, but im not going to chance it again. but my cousin runs the same stuff in his rockforce.
hotbodies racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

i wouldnt use antiseeze for a worm grease as i dont think it would lubricate very well
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
i wouldnt use antiseeze for a worm grease as i dont think it would lubricate very well
i would tend to agree,,,,anti seize is formulated for it's intended use and it has very little lubricating properties that I know if. Lucus "Red and Tacky" is what I use
grouser is offline   Reply With Quote