Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: ESC Caught Fire!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #1

Default ESC Caught Fire!

Brand new Xcelorrin with about two runs on it with no problems then two days later i plugged in the 3S batt. & when i turned on the power switch it went up in flames i un-plugged the batt & blew out the fire quickly! looks like losi is sending me a new one thru the hobby shop that i bought it at but i had to send it to them to look it over . I tried to get everything right the first time with good equipment but oh well. has this happend to anyone?
Dukiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I read a tread the other day about a LCC catching fire, but I think it was they're BEC that was the cause. IDK. Well that sucks. If it was the Xcelorin, I'm sure Losi will make it right. I'd go back and look for shorts just to be safe.
Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I am/Was fairly sure that the xcelerion system is meant for 2cell max input. Pluggin a 3 cell in it would be like a playing roulette with it.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

my losb9501 manual and box says 2-3 cell LiPo... so if he was running that, then it was within spec
artsifrtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneed View Post
I read a tread the other day about a LCC catching fire, but I think it was they're BEC that was the cause. IDK. Well that sucks. If it was the Xcelorin, I'm sure Losi will make it right. I'd go back and look for shorts just to be safe.
Here's the thread. It turned out to be the external capacitor that burned in that case (and not his BEC). It was an Xcelorin system as well.
tmentele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I've got my Xcelorin in to be looked at as well. Esc fried, 1 week old Hopefully I'll get the word tomorrow when my replacement will be sent.
DRCMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

my 9501 quit after 1 week too ran fine 1 day 2 days later nothing only the fan dig servo and reciever no lights in the esc sent it last week the replacement will be here tomorrow just weird if you ask me and the 9501 can run 2 or 3 cells
joe daigle jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgerstandtx View Post
I am/Was fairly sure that the xcelerion system is meant for 2cell max input. Pluggin a 3 cell in it would be like a playing roulette with it.
The Xcelorin can easily handle a 3 cell. In fact, that's pretty much all I run on mine.
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #9

Default ESC caught Fire

Yes well nothing else was burned up & i had a castle BEC i did notice the on & off switch wires to the esc is were the fire took place LOSI is taking care of the issue for me
Old 03-26-2010, 04:47 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Wow this is wonderful! Just installed mine last night (didnt have the right battery connectors :-( DAMN!) so I have not run it yet. Should I be worried, any suggestions on proper routing of wires so that I dont develope a short? Why do people think that within a few days there are two posts about these esc's lighting up?

Ryan
cliffdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdawg View Post
Wow this is wonderful! Just installed mine last night (didnt have the right battery connectors :-( DAMN!) so I have not run it yet. Should I be worried, any suggestions on proper routing of wires so that I dont develope a short? Why do people think that within a few days there are two posts about these esc's lighting up?

Ryan
I would suggest getting the longer sensor wire. A few people that I've talked to said it just makes the run from the rear elec. plate to the motor. I know mine just made it with very little slack. I wondered about that when installing but figured since it was designed for the LCC it must be ok. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Your not the first person to burn up the Losi ESC...Hope its not a design flaw.
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

It was my Xcelorin where the capacitor caught fire. After replacing the capacitor and all the toasted wires, steering works but not throttle. Checked the motor and no issue with that. I'm thinking I partially fried the ESC. Is that possible?
new2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #14

Silly question for you guys...did you remove the red wire leading from the ESC to receiver? I know this will usually only causes the internal BEC inside the ESC to fry, but could this be the cause of what fried the ESCs?
j drye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

im running the losb9500 in mine with no issues at all. im thinking j drye may be right when you're running an ext bec. remove the red wire or wire direct to your servo as i have. works great. many people inour club run this same esc in oval buggy racing with no probs. check your wiring.
losiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #16

Yes The red wire was disconected I have my Crawler back on the rocks LOSI replaced the hole system new thank's LOSI
Old 03-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

my bec only runs the 7950 the internal bec runs the rest of the truck losi has replaced mine too so they must have gotten a few bad ones in this batch cuz i noticed that the sensor wire is longer on the replacement they sent me
Old 03-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

well here i go again guys just got back from a gtg with the club the warranty replacement system didn't even last 1 battery before it just quit again. at least the first one ran for 5 packs before it quit i am trying the e-mail this time so lets see how long it takes for a response.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Does the ESC in this picture look familiar to anybody else?

artsifrtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Default Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update!!!!!!!!!

Horizon Hobby replaced my Xcelorin crawler system. Got it via Fed-Ex yesterday. No issues with the sensor wire and is running smoothly and no cogging Like other systems

Thanks Horizon AAA+++ Service.