Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: LCC Binding up every time I try to Climb???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default LCC Binding up every time I try to Climb???

Im very new to the RC Crawling world and yes i posted this on a topic in the newbie section but I thought one of you LCC guys could help me out a little easier ...

My Losi Comp Crawler has been binding up really bad the past few times i have run it. I dont know if its the motor or the tranny or the worm gears or what it could be. It will usually climb ok the first minute or two but after a few minutes it starts binding up every time you try to climp the slightest hill or obstacle. I can usually reverse it and it will go another couple of feet and then start doing it all over again. Plus the motor gets too hot too quick now. Either way im going to buy a new motor after work today. SOooo if that not the problem then i guess its the tranny and i dread taking that thing apart. Anybody know what could be causing this? Oh and sometimes it does it when i first start running it. I hope its just the motor but Idk!
J-Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Post up some more detail of your setup. Motor, batteries, esc, bec, servo etc.
neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilus View Post
Post up some more detail of your setup. Motor, batteries, esc, bec, servo etc.

X2 to many variables involved. Need more info.
DRCMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I would check the motor and make sure it's ok from being hot. Then you need to re-grease the front and rear worm and spools, cake it on. What you explained really sounds like dry axle gears to me.
Rubbaneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

My bad ... here's my setup

setup:

-Losi Comp Crawler
-Losi Mini DIG Servo
-Losi 2 cell 1650 mah Lipo
-Castle Creations Sidewinder ESC
-CC Pro BEC
-Spektrum DX3E Transmitter
-Spektrum SR300 RX (Came with transmitter)
-Integy 55 Turn Pro Lathe brushed motor
-12 tooth pinion installed and 14, 16, 19, and 21 tooth pinions in my tool box
-Deans Connectors
-Vanquish Products Pro Comp 2.2 Wheels
-VP wheel weights
-VP Wheel Spacers
-Hitec 7950TH Digital Steering Servo (486 oz/in @ 7.4v)
-Cowd Pleazer Body

Ohhhhh and yes i still need to do the drilling a hole in the worm gear axle casing thing i just havnt got around to doing that yet plus im worried i will mess something up lol. Wish they came with a plug/grease fitting already! Im sure that could be my problem i was just hoping it wasnt!

Last edited by J-Fish; 04-01-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Don't be afraid , take a few deep breaths, grab something to drink and start turning those wrenches.
Rubbaneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Default LCC binding

Fixing the problem is going to be a case of ruling things out and figuring whats actually binding. Tranny? Worm gears? VCDs? possible ESC issue?
I would recommend taking apart your axles and checking your gears, make sure they are correct, see the tips and tricks thread for pics of what they should look like and what the bad ones look like) If they are correct and look to be in good shape then grease them very well.
Check your shims as well (again tips and tricks will let you know what to look for)
Then look at the pins in your VCDs are they intact? inplace? or have they wiggled out of place and are snagging on the tranny or knuckles I have not heard of that being an issue with the LCC but you never know, yours might have been a little light on the lock tight.
take a deep breath, then take it step by step and hand spin all the components to see whats binding.
Dont worry, You'll get it sorted. And dont be afraid to take things apart, you will learn things when you do.
Embrace the Zen of RC maintenance!

Last edited by Captain Midnight; 04-01-2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: clarity
Captain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

before you start takin' sh!t apart stop and take the time and turn the drivetrain over by hand,try spinning the driveshafts and see how free the drivatrain spins and then go from there.You can trouble shoot the trans internals.slipper clutch,gears and then the worms gears,you may need to pull the driveshafts and turn the outputs and pinions by hand to find the issue.
Everything should turn free and smooth and if not you may have an electrical issue,,how hot is your battery gettin?
irok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=J-Fish;2386910]My bad ... here's my setup

setup:

-Integy 55 Turn Pro Lathe brushed motor
-12 tooth pinion installed and 14, 16, 19, and 21 tooth pinions in my tool box. =QUOTE]

if you are run a comp crawler tranny the 55 turn motor is just not enoght motor. need to go to a 35 or a 25 turn or a brushless setup.
tomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by irok View Post
before you start takin' sh!t apart stop and take the time and turn the drivetrain over by hand,try spinning the driveshafts and see how free the drivatrain spins and then go from there.You can trouble shoot the trans internals.slipper clutch,gears and then the worms gears,you may need to pull the driveshafts and turn the outputs and pinions by hand to find the issue.
Everything should turn free and smooth and if not you may have an electrical issue,,how hot is your battery gettin?
The battery dosent get very hot at all, just a little warm! But the motor itself gets super hot. I guess ima just have to break down and do like everyone is sayin and take it apart. I was trying to prolong doing so but not being able to crawl is starting to get at me. Kinda wish i would have got the scorpion now because you can see the gears and dont have to take it all apart lol good times. Anyone live near morristown?
Old 04-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I'm new to this as well and after running mine for about an hour last weekend I came home and cleaned it up. Yesterday I was going to play around on a rock pile near my house. I noticed when I would apply throttle it would not move right away until I had half throttle and the whole truck would "twist" or torque up before it would move. After trouble shooting for a few minutes I realized my front wheel nuts were too tight and that was causing the binding. I need to get new wheel nuts because they will not stay tight with the wheels I'm using.

You might want to look at that.
JSmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmall View Post
I'm new to this as well and after running mine for about an hour last weekend I came home and cleaned it up. Yesterday I was going to play around on a rock pile near my house. I noticed when I would apply throttle it would not move right away until I had half throttle and the whole truck would "twist" or torque up before it would move. After trouble shooting for a few minutes I realized my front wheel nuts were too tight and that was causing the binding. I need to get new wheel nuts because they will not stay tight with the wheels I'm using.

You might want to look at that.
traxxas wheel nuts from the jato work great. they are knurled pn#3647
losiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

this will sound funny but serriously put a stock slash motor in it.
shockingly it works wellll at least in mine it does cheap fix tooo
BiggaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

a 55t just doesnt work! you will be so much happier with a good brushless system!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:53 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

i as well am new to the lcc - with the help from the guys here and a few others i have talked to i have it pretty well dialed in - 55 turn will never hold up - traxxas motor i have see in action and it actually does a good job - i opted for the 18.5 brushless crawler motor from novak and a tekin rs esc - so far so good - great run time - great ability to cilmb and crawl - no heat at all - no broken parts and i have not been easy on her, i drive it like i stole it -
activethunderrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:52 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I think the 55t motor is your problem. There is a sticky at the top of this forum that talks about motor/pinion combos (losi tips/tricks). You need a low t motor to spin the tranny/worm gears in a losi.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I had a similar issue with my lnc and it was my rear drive shaft coming out of the yoke in the tranny. It only happened when i had my rear upper links in the bottom hole and when the suspention was really loaded. Look at the axles and make sure when you load up the driveline the axles aren't twisting to much (depends on your link locations and such) because they can bind. My lcc does not do it but it does run different drive shafts. Not sure if this helps but just throwing it out there. Good luck and i agree with the others, you should really get comfortable with your tools around your truck, it is a comp crawler after all. Lots of test and tune.
zagscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagscrawler View Post
I had a similar issue with my lnc and it was my rear drive shaft coming out of the yoke in the tranny. It only happened when i had my rear upper links in the bottom hole and when the suspention was really loaded. Look at the axles and make sure when you load up the driveline the axles aren't twisting to much (depends on your link locations and such) because they can bind. My lcc does not do it but it does run different drive shafts. Not sure if this helps but just throwing it out there. Good luck and i agree with the others, you should really get comfortable with your tools around your truck, it is a comp crawler after all. Lots of test and tune.
His issue is the 55t motor, it just can't handle the worm gears
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Fish View Post
The battery dosent get very hot at all, just a little warm! But the motor itself gets super hot. I guess ima just have to break down and do like everyone is sayin and take it apart. I was trying to prolong doing so but not being able to crawl is starting to get at me. Kinda wish i would have got the scorpion now because you can see the gears and dont have to take it all apart lol good times. Anyone live near morristown?
The scorpion was good technology when it came out three years ago. The Losi is a much beter crawler all around. You just need to figure out the issue and you'll love it.
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:26 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbaneck View Post
I would check the motor and make sure it's ok from being hot. Then you need to re-grease the front and rear worm and spools, cake it on. What you explained really sounds like dry axle gears to me.
I agree with this Check those gears.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote