Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Question about a brushless system

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Question about a brushless system

Im looking for a new motor set up and want to go brushless because from what i hear it requires the least maintenance. Trying to decide on what system to go with for my LCC. Most of them seem to be within the same price range, so i really just want to hear from some people what works the best. IE runs cool, smooth, if one is better then the others in any other way. Easy to set up for a new guy like me.

Really im looking for something that just plane works, and its hard to make a decision from online reviews.
Fattymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
mrG
RCC Addict

I use a Castle Mamba Max Pro ESC and a Tekin 21.5 motor with a 14mm rotor. I had to buy the rotor separate but I think you can order it with the larger rotor, it even comes in a high torque version now. If you go with the Castle make sure you download and install the newest software to the ESC. Once I got the newest software it runs great. I hear from some tech guys that the Tekin is a faster motor than most, which is what you need in want in a LCC.
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Another vote for the Mamba Max Pro, but I run mine with a Hyperion 1830kv 17.5 and a 13T pinion.
silentcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

How do these motors hold up to heat? do they get hot with long runs or even short runs with many high rpm bursting? I think i read the Mamba Max Pro holds up really well to heat.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I have had 3 different systems so far. Tekin...MMP etc. The best and
smoothest system I have ran so far is the Losi 17.5 crawler system...Its simple
basic and gets the job done. I no longer run a BEC and just power my servo on
6V 5A that the ESC handles...You still have plenty of servo power.
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Excelorin 21.5
I love it, no heat issues so far, easy to drive, it just plain works
Del Montess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Do either of you run a cap on the esc to further help heat issues or do you just run stock with no heat issues?
Old 06-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

the esc comes with a cap in order to work properly. most brushless esc's need them anymore
iver been running mmp with novak 18.5t crawler motor with no heat issues
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #9

Can anyone tell me what the Goat 3s put out to the servo?? Also is there any way to get immediate reverse from the Losi?

Last edited by GMS Racing; 06-09-2010 at 05:44 PM.
GMS Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I caved and purchased the 21.5t Xcelorin
Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMS Racing View Post
Can anyone tell me what the Goat 3s put out to the servo?? Also is there any way to get immediate reverse from the Losi?
Cant speak for the Novak but the Losi Crawler ESC (LOSB9501) has instant reverse and as fa1rch1ld pointed out it also has a 6V, 5 amp bec so you don't need a external bec unless you want to run high volt servos.

If you have the Losi Car esc (LOSB9500) you can update the firmware to get the instant reverse. Personally I wish Losi did an exchange program for all us people that bought the car esc when the crawler esc wasn't available.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

This is the Goat 3S BEC:

BECs: 6.0 volts DC/5.0 amps; 6.0 volts DC/3.0 amps switching regulator (external)

and the Goat 2S:

BEC: 6.0 volt/5.0 amp

And they have instant reverse as well.

I run my Goat 3S with a 2S battery with no external BEC
AZrcdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I assume more amps is better but what would the 3 amps vs 5 amp get me?

I have the LOSB9500 and just loaded the LOSB9501 software on it. Wondering if the BEC setting is something that would be modified in the software or not as the box say 6V / 3 amp vs the 9501 that is listed as 6v / 5 amp?
d.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

My Losi ESC just went up in smoke.. Not sure why ran it for 5 min and it just died with a faint smell of burnt electronics .. Bought it used but it looked brand new. Guess I learned that lesson . Went to my LHS and ordered a 3Cell Goat with a ballistic 18.5 motor & a BEC.

Hopefully it lasts a bit longer?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Just read an interesting 1 page write up on the need for a BEC vs using the one in the ESC on Novak's site. I'm wondering if this might be what helped fry mine as the previous owner had been running it with 2 cell packs? While I did change the programing I didn't have a BEC installed? Looks like the Goat comes with an external one & I'll be using that this time .

http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/i...tes/index.html
Old 09-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I'm running the Goat 3s 18.5 Ballistic setup in my LNC and have a good buddy that is running the same in his LCC. Both of us have had great results from the Goat system and no issues to report in the few months we've been running and comping with them. We are both running an external BEC, Castle BEC to be exact, left the Novak BEC in the box.
untchabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #17
RCC Addict

I use the Novak external 6v 3amp BEC to run my Hitec 7950 with no issues at all, EVER.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.a.v.e View Post
Just read an interesting 1 page write up on the need for a BEC vs using the one in the ESC on Novak's site. I'm wondering if this might be what helped fry mine as the previous owner had been running it with 2 cell packs? While I did change the programing I didn't have a BEC installed? Looks like the Goat comes with an external one & I'll be using that this time .

http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/i...tes/index.html
i had the losi system since feb and wired a castle bec in since i am running a 7950 it didnt matter cuz no matter what gearing i chose it ran hot i went thru 3 systems by august i did get a refund from horizon and i am now running the 3s goat with no issues so far our comp season starts up next week so i will find out for sure then but so far the novak is out performing the losi and by the way the last losi system had a cap fire thats when i finally had enough of it
joe daigle jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by untchabl View Post
I'm running the Goat 3s 18.5 Ballistic setup in my LNC and have a good buddy that is running the same in his LCC. Both of us have had great results from the Goat system and no issues to report in the few months we've been running and comping with them. We are both running an external BEC, Castle BEC to be exact, left the Novak BEC in the box.

Good to know, how come you chose the Castle BEC over the included one?