Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: LNC slow but steady build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 08:55 PM   #1

Default LNC slow but steady build

Well I've been lurking around the forums for awhile now, reading up on what people are doing with their rigs and trying to figure out what direction I want to go in with mine. This probably won't be the most exciting build thread but I thought I would share my experience with the rest of you.

I picked up my LNC a few months ago and after playing with it for a week or so it sat... and sat... and sat.(The girlfriend was nuking my fun time heh) Until recently when I got a chance to "get away" for a few to go out and have some fun.

Initially I didn't plan to do anything to this rig, just bash around in it really and just have fun. At least that's how it was until I started reading up on here and seeing what these things are really capable of. Now all I can think of is what I want it to do and where I need to upgrade to make it possible.

So far very little has been done. Weight added to the front(about 4oz), foam has been tuned, shock arms/brace rod and chassis brace rods have been added as well to get rid of that giant battery tray at the top. I attached the batter to the rear upper links(won't stretch to the front so it's making it's home on the rear till I can get that figured out) and the receiver is attached to the front shock/chassis rods until I get my hands on some lexan for proper mounting.

Currently searching for a servo that's in my price range since the one that is in it is, well for lack of a better word, weak as hell. Tires are also being looked into, but I'd like to get some nice weighted wheels to go with them. We'll just have to see how that works out.

As of right now, the servo is on the top of my list so we'll hopefully see one on in the next week or so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!(Girlfriend is hooked on crawling now, so trying to budget in another crawler as well as a servo/bec ><)

I'll get some pictures up soon of the changes made Just gotta wait for the tri-tip cooking to be done. Thanks for reading! Stay tuned!

**edit**
Forgot I had this, not the best video but I thought I'd share. This was before the shock arms and rods were added.

Up the slope we go!

Last edited by sl0wkarate; 07-22-2010 at 08:57 PM.
sl0wkarate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Check out Spectrum's ht tg servo 278 oz in of torque. It's like $85.00 pretty reasonable, but haven't heard much about them. Or jump to the Hitec 7955tg. It just can't be beat.
losiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #3

I've seen a lot of people using the Hitec servo and it's one of the top ones I've been thinking on getting since everyone seems to be happy with it, but if I go for that one I'll have to wait a bit since I want to get my girl a crawler so she'll stop stealing mine haha.

*edit*
Answered my own question so removed it. ><

Last edited by sl0wkarate; 07-22-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Get your Post count up and you can find good deals on Servo's on the Classifieds section...
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #5

I'm working on it Apparently my posts in the California section don't count hah so I decided to make this build thread. Share my experience and get info I couldn't dig up(or didn't know where to dig up) as well
Old 07-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I will be following your progress on the LNC. I have done the steering servo also and even though it was pricey I bit the bullet and got a good one in the Hytec 9755 steering servo. LOVE it and it will be one of the best upgrades you do to LNC. I like my pitbull rockbeast tires but think the new losi boss claws are a great tire. I should have waited until my stock LNC motor fried but like you I started upgrading after a month and put in a brushed Tekin 45t motor and Tekin esc but did the steering servo first.
team sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I bought the RC4WD mayhem servo for mine as its $30 price tag is what caught my eye for a servo with 220OZ of torque. It is significantly better than the stock but still not as much power as I would like. Wish I would have just bucked up the first time & got the hitec like everyone else.

I myself am slowly getting slowly drug into the whole crawling thing with my night crawler. Actually today my new aluminum servo arm, Revo rod ends & deans plugs arrived from Brians Hobby Land so I will have some work to do tonight. Not to mention Brians Hobbyland has great service & prices, Browse their site you will find great deals.

I also ordered two turnigy 3S 1800MAH lipos from Hobby king & my BEC should be here sometime next week from Brians (Was Backordered).
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #8

I'm using a JR ds8711 servo 400 oz of torqe for $189 new
Dustycrazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:09 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have been using the Airtronics 94780 servo at 6 volts it puts out 423 oz of torque and I have seen it go for $109 new. If the front wheels are stuck hard it often can move the entire rest of my LCC crawler !! It also is completely re-buildable if you some how break it.
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:28 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

pm this guy he has some grat servos for right at $20 and there metel gears and all i have ran 2 of them for over a year and love them think there aroun 200oz cant rember ask him great budget servo.. To tell ya the truth I dont think i would buy one for more $$ after haveing these

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/members/cpe-mt-6636.htm
click on the link and send him a msg
hende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

foune the info on servo
This standard-sized analog servo features:

- Full metal gears with bearings
- Multiple servo horns and mounting hardware. Servo uses Futaba servo horns.
- Standard size: 1.6”x0.8”x1.5” (40.8x20.1x38mm)
- Weight: 1.98 oz (56g)
- Operating Speed @ 5V: 0.18sec/60 deg.
- Operating Speed @ 7.2V: 0.16sec/60 deg.
- Stall Torque @ 5V: 208 oz-in (15 kg/cm)
- Stall Torque @ 7.2V: 224 oz-in (16.1 kg/cm)

- Operating Voltage: 5-7.2V

and here is alink to servo
http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...ervo-p-18.html
hende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:47 AM   #12

Thanks for the great input on servos I'm gonna pick up new tires most likely first and possibly some better bead locks while I wait for some stuff to sell on craigs list(yay for getting rid of stuff that not only collects dust but takes up a lot of space!) so I can either get the hitech or something else with a lot of torque.

@ Hende: How much weight are you running with those servos? I'm a little worried that at 200oz the steering won't react how I want to it with a lot of weight in the wheels.

@ Dustycrazman: I looked that one up and it's beautiful! But that's a bit much for my budget at this point in time.

So heading to the lhs tomorrow to price out some stuff, thankfully I have three hobby shops within driving distance to compare prices with heh. Hopefully going to pick up something to craft into spacers to outboard my rear shocks as well as some bb's(not sure how I feel about this weighting method but it's worth a shot since they are cheap.) Expect pictures soon! Had to order a new battery for my camera and they should be in monday.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #13

Well the trip to the hobby store proved to be on the expensive side >.> Walked out with a set of HB Rovers, Set of Pro-Line Titus 2.2 wheels, 300oz servo, LCC steering linkage, and some nuts/bolts. Also stopped by wally world for a tackle box and bb's lol. Tonight I swear I'll post pictures, got game night with my buddy so I'll get some of his rig too!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #14

Well here are a couple pictures! Showing the comparison of the stocker wheels vs the new ones. Didn't think there would be such a big difference in size. Also to show the new shock arms.

Gotta love cell phone pictures

**edit**
Got the new servo in, had to do some tweeking to get the old horn on since the ones it came with would flex like no other. But it's on and dear lord, I can actually turn my wheels without moving!
Old 07-25-2010, 02:00 AM   #15

Well, going in tomorrow to cancel my order for the LCC steering linkage. With the weight that I have added(total wheel weight: 14oz per front... 10oz per rear) the motor doesn't have the mmpff that I would like it to have. So it's time to find a brushed motor that will do what I need it to do, move this rig up walls.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Wow that is some major wheel weight alright. In my LNC I am using a brushed Tekin 45T handwound pro motor with a Tekin fxr esc and it has plenty of pooop. Not a lot of wheel speed but lots of torque. This motor is smooth as silk.

Only trouble I had was putting a motor and esc combo in that cost almost half of what the LNC originally cost but in my opinion it is well worth the cost. Have had the Tekin combo in for a while now and no problems or do I expect any with a quality handturned motor.

Last edited by team sidewinder; 07-25-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #17

Yea, I didn't expect to get that much weight but with the stock added weights in the front and only 4 ounces of shot added to the back that's what I ended up with heh. Picked up a titan 21t to use for the time being until I can afford to get a brushless system, but from what I've read the titan should do the job pretty good.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Ya the Titan 21t should work great for you from what I have read. I was so afraid I was going to lose the low smooth torgue and wasn't sure I needed much more wheel speed so got the 45T when in reality I could have least gone 35T. Oh well live and learn. $$$$$$

I have thought about going brushless but am so happy with performance of this brushed motor doubt I can see a brushless in my future.

Let me know if you ever try the Losi Boss Claws for a LNC but yours is looking pretty close to a LCC except for the trans/dig.

I am handicapping myself also by using a NimH battery and while it has long life I still have it in the old LNC battery tray because it is so large/heavy. Like what you are doing with yours.
Lipo batteries and lipo charger are on my list next.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:41 PM   #19

This is the charger that I use: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUAB8&P=FR It's nice cause it charges everything. A little on the pricey side but it's worth it in my honest opinion.

Breaking in the new motor as I type this, wish it would hurry up and do it's thing haha got about 30 minutes or so left till it should be done. As far as getting a brushless, I'm still debating. If I get into comps then I might go for it just to have the performance gain but even then it's a maybe.

I want to pick up another complete set of wheels/tires so I can have a set for different kinds of areas. Gotta be prepared right?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #20

Good luck with the LNC! I love mine, however the only thing left is the shock bodies and blue chassis plates, EVERYTHING else is gone, start saving for BL, only way to go in a Losi. Fun project though
Chaos314 is offline   Reply With Quote