Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: i have losi nightcrawler, need help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #1

Default i have losi nightcrawler, need help?

i am looking for more power in my nightcrawler all around which brushless setup is good and does anyone know of videos on youtube that i can see the setup? for the ones who help thank alot!
TheDonJeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I have the Novak Goat 3S 18.5t on my Night Crawler and I'm very happy with it so far. Huge difference over the stock setup.

A buddy of mine has the Losi Xcelorin on his LNC and he is happy with it. Although some people have been having some issues with the ESC.
untchabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Does your buddy have a 21.5 or 17.5 and how do compare it to your system, I've been looking at both setups. Thanks!
Vertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I prefer the Xcelorin 21.5, it has great low-end torque, and plenty of wheelspeed--its the perfect balance for my driving style, whereas the 17.5 has way too much wheelspeed for me.
which setup you go with depends on your driving style, like Jake does really well with the 17.5 (and the 21.5 for that matter... is there any setup he can't drive well? ), but I feel out of control with it.

If you're used to the brushed setup, I would recommend going with the 21.5 to get used to the change in wheelspeed, then decide if you want even more than that and want to move to the 17.5
Del Montess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

So if I start with the 21.5 and want to go to 17:5 later all I have to do is change motor esc will work the same? Yes he can drive can't he! I picked this truck up to see if I would like rock crawling with the thought I would get a high dollar rig if I really liked it, but after watching what the losi team drivers are doing plus alot of other people on here are doing with the losi makes me want to learn to be a better driver and make this rig work like it suppost to!
Thanks!

Last edited by Vertec; 08-07-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #6

Yes, you can always change the motor and keep your ESC. You cant really go wrong with any of the major choices out there. People seem to love the Xcelorin systems, I had a string of bad luck and run a Goat 3s/18.5 Ballistic. My friend i crawl with all the time has a 21.5 Losi and it gets way hotter then mine but i has never failed him. I love the Novak, but people have had bad luck with those too, so.....to each his own. I would stick to the 21.5 if you go Losi, the 18.5 in the Goat would be a good choice, little more wheel speed. Like Del Montess said, the 17 systems are just a little fast, and you have to gear them way down to get the torque and temp you need to keep it in. Look at the Tekin systems to, I run Tekin in my Berg and it's so nice. Good luck, and ANY brushless is WAY better then what you have or any brushed system you can come up with on a Losi, IMO.
Chaos314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertec View Post
Does your buddy have a 21.5 or 17.5 and how do compare it to your system, I've been looking at both setups. Thanks!
He has the 21.5 motor. I just installed my Goat this week and we haven't got together to compare them yet. It's been several weeks since I drove his rig, so I can't give a good comparison. He is running a 25 or 26 pinion and I'm running a 22 pinion and I think our overall wheel speed is about the same, mine may be a little faster.

I went from a Titan 21t motor w/ 20 pinion to the Goat 18.5 w/ 22 pinion and it has been a HUGE difference. Really amazing the difference in power and wheel speed with the new setup, but low speed control is still very good as well.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

holly crap those are big pinions. im running a 21.5 ballistic with 13 tooth.. but i have to admit i am lacking in the wheel speed department. ive been waiting for my 18.5 stator to come in and see how that feels. I will prolly go up to a 15 or so till the new stator comes in but 20sumthings good god. How is the low end control with that pinion?

woops just realized you guys are talkin about the nightcrawler. diff trans my bad..
zagscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Yea, alot different with the LNC trans vs. LCC trans. Another buddy of mine has a LCC with the Goat 3s 18.5 and he runs a 13 or 14 pinion.

Low end control is very good on mine. Can crawl just as slow as the Titan 21t I had on it before.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

It seems everytime someone talks about the xcelorin system i always hear the word smooth. Thats something i want to find in a new system, i like to drive slower to see what i can make happen first then speed if that dosen't work, but if poeple are still having some issues with this system and the fact i'm just learning i would not know if it was the system or me if something went wrong.(but that would be with any system i put on until i learn more)

I do have a new lcc trans waiting to go in when the time comes, so i would want what motor size thats works best for that trans.

sorry! dont mean to steal someones thread i plan on making a build thread soon
Old 08-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #11

i see alot people using the novak setup that why i was tossed up with the losi brushless system.they all except lipos rite prob dumb question
TheDonJeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertec View Post
and the fact i'm just learning i would not know if it was the system or me if something went wrong.(but that would be with any system i put on until i learn more)

this could also be complicated by the worm gears. they require different driving (kind of) than a ring and pinion, because you have to be more careful in a bind--which is when things start heating up. I had this problem when I switched from my AX-10 to the LCC. I didn't understand when to keep on it to get the rig out of a bind, and when to get the heck off of the throttle so I didn't destroy my motor (which I did a couple times). Its just something that takes time with the rig to learn. Its easier if you have someone to tell you "you're rig is never getting out of that and you're going to blow it up, get off the throttle" (I don't know how many times Jake has said that to me, hahaha), because when you're in a bind, you're first instinct is to power through it, but you have to learn your rig's limits and what it will and will not do, what it can and can't get out of.
so whatever motor setup you pick, go easy on it at first, don't try for more than 3 or 4 seconds if you're bound up (then check your motor temp, if it's hot, unplug the battery and give it a few minutes to cool down). you'll learn what you're rig will power through and what it won't, and you'll learn how to drive it to get out of a bind better-- and you won't roast motors like I did, haha.

that being said..... i think the 21.5 is best
Del Montess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I installed a vxl-3s with a 35t motor with a 24t pinion. I know no one would suggest it because of the reverse delay, and no drag brake but you have worms. I have had good luck with it and now i can run 3s lipo if i want.
2manytickets is offline   Reply With Quote