Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Underground Crawlers Fastback chassis with LCC running gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Underground Crawlers Fastback chassis with LCC running gear

So I decided to experiment with some LCC running gear that I got from the for sale section here.. I had been running Venom Creeper axles with an axial transmission on Underground Crawlers FF-4 chassis with great results. Juan's FF-4 chassis is a frame forward chassis that simply works for an Axial setup. His latest creation is the Fastback. This is based on the FF-4 chassis but is bodiless. See the link below:
Underground Crawlers Fastback Chassis

I quickly put the LCC running gear on the FF-4 chassis a couple of weeks ago after Juan shipped me a 72mm blank skid. Without much in the way of tuning this thing really crawled nice so I decided instead of doing a build thread with that chassis that I'd do one with the Fastback instead.. I've ordered the chassis and it should be here later this week..

I'll also post up some pics of the the current setup tonight or tomorrow to give you an idea.

What I'll be using:
Underground Crawlers Fastback chassis in black
LCC running gear (stock for now)
Hobico TS-170 servo
CC BEC
CC Mamba Max Pro
Holmes Hobbies 30t handwound 12T (Losi 21.5 BL on the way)
Losi Comp Shocks 50wt Gold springs all the way around to start with
HB White Rovers stock foams (for now)
DNA Assassin wheels (12.5oz frt/8.5oz rear total weight)
R2J lower bent links (this is what really shines using this chassis)
Upper links will be all thread w/stainless and revo ends

Current setup is a little soft but not bad.. Could us some different foams (Nova's is what I prefer) for the Rovers. I have some Boss Claws but I'm using those on my Berg.. My try them here too. The Brushed motor isn't bad for wheel speed and so far hasn't gotten too warm during running.
So for now that's what I'll be using until some coin comes in for a brushless motor.

The rear shocks are too wide on top so I'll be inboarding them at the chassis. Front shocks I think I can outboad on the mounts but we'll see. This will give them a little more of the proper angle. Right now they are wider at the chassis than the axle.

All in all it should be an interesting build.. Stay tuned..

Last edited by jkwrangler08; 08-16-2010 at 09:00 AM.
jkwrangler08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
RCC Addict

What is the line.....

this thread is usless with out pictures!

Now that being said, I got real excited reading the title. My friend, DickyT, drives for Juan and is a great at answering questions bout the Fastback. I always wanted to do the FF-4 conversion, but I never felt the stock chassis was holding me back. Post up some pics!
Tydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:00 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Pics with the current FF-4 will be posted up sometime today as I know the thread is worthless without them

Juan PM'd me that it would take a day or so to mill the wider skid needed for the tranny.. So the Fastkback chassis pics probably won't happen until later in the week...

All to familiar with DickyT's post and setup.. I used his thread and PM'd him a bunch when I setup my original FF-4 with the creeper axles and all.. It was a great rig to drive.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Here's the pics
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

More pics
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Interesting first chassis substitue on a LLC I've ever seen.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Just in case you didn't catch it, this chassis is designed for an Axial.. I just liked how well the chassis worked that I thought that I'd give it a shot with LCC running gear..

This chassis has the skid that's 72mm wide. The one that I'm getting from Juan next will have a 70mm skid.. Not a big difference but it might be enough to keep the shocks out board of the chassis.. We'll see...

Last edited by jkwrangler08; 08-16-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
No idea what I'm doing

Hmmmm.......I might have to get an LCC for myself

I went in this morning to get started on skids....I should have yours out on Tuesday morning
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

SWEET!!! Thanks Juan!

Starting to tear down the FF-4 tonight to get ready for the Fastback.. I have a Losi 21.5 brushless on the way too..
Old 08-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Interesting first chassis substitue on a LLC I've ever seen.

Remember wrightcs77's GC2? I'm running one too

IMO it was not a good swap over stock but I hope things work better for you jkwrangler08.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Thanks DJJIZ. Well since I don't have the stock chassis I have nothing to compare to.. I did give it to a local guy here to run last week while I was out of town.. Even in the "non-tuned" formed he stated it drove very similar to his comp LCC and actually pulled some amazing lines (his words not mine). There were a few that commented that it would not have any advantage over the stock chassis though..

I think the main advantages will be the 60/40 setup and being able to run bent links.

The current setup didn't really take advantage of the 60/40 as the battery (1300mah lipo)and ESC were behind the tranny.. The ESC will probably land on the back axle per the pics but I have a smaller 800mah battery to put up front on the links..

I'm looking at extending the shock throw to take advantage of the links.. I'll either get some longer shocks or longer shafts for these shocks. The ride height will stay about the same but with the soft shocks it'll be more of a semi-droop setup. This will allow the axles to drop more over ledges and therefore take advantage of the bent links..

We'll see how it all works out.. It may not kill the stock chassis in all aspects but I'll bet it beats it out in some.. I'll like putting something together that's out of the norm and then making it work. That's the fun part of this sport to me...
[/COLOR]
Old 08-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

How much tans/motor clearance do you have from the sides of the chassis? (Post a pic from the top)

Looks good
corkysk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Like what I see so far, keep it up.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I like this set up ! The high clearence links are awesome as well !! The width of the skid concerned me a little, although I dont know what the stock LCC width is? The one perk the stock LCC skid has is that it is tapered on the sides which gives it a narrow belly width....anybody know? I'm at work and cant check...

Keep the pics coming !! Looks good !!
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Keep in mind that this is the 72mm skid and that the next build will have the 70mm one.. Might even be able to get by with a narrower one but I couldn't get the tranny and motor on the standard skid that Juan put's out which is 57mm to the inside of the side plates. With the original skid, the tranny was resting on the link ends when you got the motor clamp to clear the side plates.. I suppose if someone were crafty they could make the original skid width work. I don't have the tools or ability to do that.

I measured up a stock chassis at one point in time. The stock LCC skid is 58mm at it's narrowest point then tapering up and out to 64mm where the chassis plates taper out another 8mm from there. So the chassis itself is 72mm wide. But like you state, the skid is narrower with the taper..
Attached Images

Last edited by jkwrangler08; 08-16-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Copy....I like it !!
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

One other thing I'm going to look into is getting the skid channeled front to rear.. One of the guys at the last comp did that on his FF-4 and he really like the control he got when sliding off rocks... Very predictable I guess..
Old 08-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the response It looks like enough room to narrow it some.
corkysk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:51 PM   #19
No idea what I'm doing

I've never seen the LCC transmission installed before. Now that I have, I'm even more interested in getting one of these.

I saw Rubbaneck at the scale comp this past weekend, and really liked the way his LCC based scaler looked. I've always been a bit scared by the worm stories, but the more I read, the better I feel about them. Plus it's been explained to me that these are not bashers, and shouldn't be treated like one. They are meant to run for comp times, so it's starting to make more sense.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Maybe look into doing the shock cap mod before buying new shafts. Plus adding the rod end makes for quick mounting and unmounting.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote