Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Parts to keep on hand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Parts to keep on hand

Well My LCC is on it's way. What parts should I replace or keep on hand that usually break first ? I am guessing axle's. Anything else I might want to pick up at my LHS or order on line as far as after market { better than stock } Parts ?
T/C Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

the only part i have ever broke on my LCC is a hex pin and stripped a spur gear, other than that its a very durable rig, and i beat the piss out of mine and im running a Goat 18.5t system with a 12t pinion, 2s 1300mah lipo and the only strength/ preformance mod that i have is aluminum kunckles that i got from a friend, and done some personal tuning with the suspension. its a great rig, you will have lots of fun with it!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Sometimes, I make things.

Some wheel hexes and pins, front CV shafts and spare driveshafts are what I recommend.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

O.K cool . Should I replace with aftermarket . I see there are some great parts listings for some of this. Oh yea : Crap I forgot to order a pinion gear, or does the LCC come with one. ??
Old 12-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by T/C Hunter View Post
O.K cool . Should I replace with aftermarket . I see there are some great parts listings for some of this. Oh yea : Crap I forgot to order a pinion gear, or does the LCC come with one. ??
sure doesnt, but id suggest picking up a 12t, 13t, and a 14t pinion
Old 12-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
sure doesnt, but id suggest picking up a 12t, 13t, and a 14t pinion
Heading to the LHS Thrusday and I will pick all { 3 } up , along with a few other this and thats I might need. Thanks
Old 12-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The spare parts that I like to keep around :
-Plastic spur gears
-Hex pins (Dlux makes some great heavy duty chrome moly pins)
-CVD pins (Dlux makes some great heavy duty chrome moly pins)
-17 degree rod ends
-Body post clips/pins
-Steering servo horn
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

3 things to get.

Rod ends for shocks.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSA5079

The V3 pins work for the drive shaft, the axles, & for hex pins and are stronger than the original hex and drive shaft pin.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSA3199

Transmission gears.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSA3166

The only other thing I have broke is one wheel at the hex mount.
corkysk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:48 AM   #9
Custom Carbon Fiber

Besides the above mentioned I like to keep a spare axle housing with me too. Broke one after a first course last year and ever since always carried a spare.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:23 AM   #10

What motor esc are you gonna run? i have went through many brushed motors, if it gets bound up and you try to force it out of a bind it will more then likely let out some smoke, unloading with the dig will reduce this affect,but until i learned to do this i smoked quite a few motors
Fluxnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxnutz View Post
What motor esc are you gonna run? i have went through many brushed motors, if it gets bound up and you try to force it out of a bind it will more then likely let out some smoke, unloading with the dig will reduce this affect,but until i learned to do this i smoked quite a few motors
I'm Running a Losi: Xcelorin S 17.5 ESC Combo . No more brushed motors for me. I always ran brushed motors in my R/C 10 2W/D oval track racing and stadium truck competitions. Brushless is so much easier and almost maintainance free. Plus there very tunable with the advanced computer style ESC's and programs ,it almost leaves the Brushed motors in the dust. I am amazed how much electronics have change in the last 20 years. I am old school and I am pretty impressed with Lipo Batteries and Brushless motors . Thanks for the { Binding worm gear note of caution} I will need to learn how to do it right, because these motor ain't cheap.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I'm Running a Losi: Xcelorin S 17.5 ESC Combo . No more brushed motors for me. I always ran brushed motors in my R/C 10 2W/D oval track racing and stadium truck competitions. Brushless is so much easier and almost maintainance free. Plus there very tunable with the advanced computer style ESC's and programs ,it almost leaves the Brushed motors in the dust. I am amazed how much electronics have change in the last 20 years. I am old school and I am pretty impressed with Lipo Batteries and Brushless motors . Thanks for the { Binding worm gear note of caution} I will need to learn how to do it right, because these motor ain't cheap.
Yep I've burnt up 3 ESC's in this truck. Luckily Losi is very good about replacing them. I've now moved onto the Goat system and it seems to be holding up better but I have only used it at one comp so far but that is still longer then the previous systems lasted
d.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.a.v.e View Post
Yep I've burnt up 3 ESC's in this truck. Luckily Losi is very good about replacing them. I've now moved onto the Goat system and it seems to be holding up better but I have only used it at one comp so far but that is still longer then the previous systems lasted
Wow thats scary ; what caused the burn out of the ESC. Lock up worm gear.?
Old 12-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
not necisarly the worm bind, but the resistance from the worms and running them too long when they get hot after 30-45 min
Old 12-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
not necessarily the worm bind, but the resistance from the worms and running them too long when they get hot after 30-45 min
Ohhhh. Sorry to hear that .. Word of caution when running Electric R/C :As I am sure you do this now. Always check your ESC and motors temps, until you can trust a long timed run like that. Years of experience taught me many tricks of the trade on how to keep my temps down.Using Cooler fans , heat sinks, and the right pinion gear were just the basics. Having a ultra smooth drive system was the most important key of all. Air circulation , smooth bearings, perfect gear mesh , over all weight and rotating mass were also important factors to consider. Any resistance to the rolling chassis feeds back to the main drive source. { Electric Motor and ESC } Batteries take a beating as well. So bottom line how is that Noak Goat working for you ? Does it run any cooler than you Losi set up?
Old 12-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.a.v.e View Post
Quote:
the early losi crawler brushless systems were just prone to going up in smoke. quite a few people had problems with them a few had good luck but losi is great about replacing them
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I hope I dont end up with a smoker.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ohhhh. Sorry to hear that .. Word of caution when running Electric R/C :As I am sure you do this now. Always check your ESC and motors temps, until you can trust a long timed run like that. Years of experience taught me many tricks of the trade on how to keep my temps down.Using Cooler fans , heat sinks, and the right pinion gear were just the basics. Having a ultra smooth drive system was the most important key of all. Air circulation , smooth bearings, perfect gear mesh , over all weight and rotating mass were also important factors to consider. Any resistance to the rolling chassis feeds back to the main drive source. { Electric Motor and ESC } Batteries take a beating as well. So bottom line how is that Noak Goat working for you ? Does it run any cooler than you Losi set up?
ive never had a system go up on me or used a losi system, but thats one of the reasons people have been having trouble with them. with my Goat system i have'nt had a lick of trouble out of it, it works just as smooth as can be! i highly recomend it!
Old 12-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I have the Losi 21.5 system and it has held on strong...no problems at all !! I did put a heat sink and fan on it for a little added saftey.
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:50 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Default ESC Over heating and up in smoke

I think all ESC units are subject to the abuse of over heating , With a few extra steps of caution this can be prevented. But as we all know some ESC's just go up in smoke for apparently no reason. I will definetly keep a eye on mine until I can trust it 100% . Plus I will run a external BEC . The ones that do go up in smoke makes ya wonder how it was set up . But as long as Losi replaceing mine if it happens to me thats cool.