Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Need some help with electronics for LCC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Need some help with electronics for LCC

So as my first crawler I'm planning on getting an LCC and need some help picking appropriate electronics, mainly a servo. I have a DX3E so I've got the Tx/Rx covered. My main problem is I don't know what I'm going to need for a servo, obviously metal gears is a must and I'm under the impression speed isn't that important. However how much torque do I need to get the job done? I asked this question on a different forum and the only suggestion I got was for a $120 servo with over 300oz of torque, is that really necessary? 200oz servos are really affordable but from what I've found servos with torque that high re just way pricey and push my budget a bit too far. I'm not going to be in serious comps or anything just bashing and mking it to IARock events when work allows. So I don't need the best, I just don't know what I need to get the job done.

Now for the Esc/motor combo I could use suggestions on affordable ways to get the truck running pretty well. I am looking at the 3s goat and Fxr but wondering if there are sny other things I could consider.

Thanks in advance for any replys
federally is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
MODERATOR™

Hobbico CS 170 servo

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNRN6&P=ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by federally View Post
affordable ways to get the truck running pretty well.
Hah.

You can try a Castle Sidewinder and external BEC with a Traxxas Titan 21 turn motor. But do yourself a favor and read up on those suggested items. A brushless set up is preferred. Though, I did stick with brush motors, but good and expensive handwound ones.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Defy Gravity

the key to getting an affordable setup for these is the classified section here. i see goat systems (think the 2s...not a novak fan so don't pay too much attention) for 100 bucks here. either that or look for a mamba max pro and then a motor of your choosing here (picked up a new mmp and then a tekin 17.5 here, total 165 and imo one of the best systems out today). eeepee knows his brushed stuff, and takes care of his motors very well, and if you're up for that, then you can run brushed successfully in these.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
the key to getting an affordable setup for these is the classified section here. i see goat systems (think the 2s...not a novak fan so don't pay too much attention) for 100 bucks here. either that or look for a mamba max pro and then a motor of your choosing here (picked up a new mmp and then a tekin 17.5 here, total 165 and imo one of the best systems out today). eeepee knows his brushed stuff, and takes care of his motors very well, and if you're up for that, then you can run brushed successfully in these.
I saw someone on a different forum who claimed to be a serious crawler comp guy suggest a Mamba Micro Pro with a 17.5t sensored motor. Doesn't seem like a bad idea to the uninformed since the micro is a small sensored Esc, just not sure if it would get ocerworked.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I agree with EeePee and ghtpdm5, the hobbico cs170 is great for the price. I've never had issues with it, for the dig I would get the Hobbico cs35mg. I have the Goat 3s and a 17.5 Ballistic in mine right now and love it. Overdrive the front with the HD gears, leave the back alone. Throw on a set of Sedona's and a 3 cell lipo and have fun.
relic68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Alright well it seems I have my servo choices. Might need to save a bit more money and delay the purchase a bit but I guess it's better to do it right the first time. Now I just need to just decide how I'm gonna power it.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I have a Novak 18.5t goat system (older 2s version) and havent had any trouble with it and works flawlessly! pefect with a 12t pinion and a 2s lipo.

as for a servo i use a Savox 277oz that is $75 and is very fast! http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/savsc1256tg.htm
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=2500hdon37s;3136627]I have a Novak 18.5t goat system (older 2s version) and havent had any trouble with it and works flawlessly! pefect with a 12t pinion and a 2s lipo.

as for a servo i use a Savox 277oz that is $75 and is very fast! [url]

Yeah this sounds like a setup I can afford. The 2s goat and the Savox high voltage servo are in my future, it's 356oz run on 7.4v and only $20 more

So now that I've decided on servos and power plant. Is there anything else the LCC needs out of the box?

Last edited by federally; 06-11-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
Defy Gravity

Quote:
I saw someone on a different forum who claimed to be a serious crawler comp guy suggest a Mamba Micro Pro with a 17.5t sensored motor. Doesn't seem like a bad idea to the uninformed since the micro is a small sensored Esc, just not sure if it would get ocerworked.
as far as i know the micro pro is sensorless....not very suitable for crawling (need the sensors to fight low speed cogging, since we hover at very low speeds, sensorless does poorly in inrunners) but yes on the 17.5 motor, is a good balance of wheelspeed and torque.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I used to run a Goat 3s 21.5T combo. It cogged horribly. I have never been a big fan of Novak stuff. I still have it thrown in the back of my closet somewhere.

I am now running a Mamba Max Pro(it is sensored) and a Tekin 17.5T motor. It is much smoother than the Novak ever was. And it stays cooler. You will need a Castle BEC. The Pro BEC is too large, just get the little blue one.

I also have a pile of trashed 300oz servos. They are not enough. I don't comp and never will. I just got sick of blowing servos. 7950 or larger for me from now on.

Run 3s over 2s hands down.
BurnLatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:42 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
as far as i know the micro pro is sensorless....not very suitable for crawling (need the sensors to fight low speed cogging, since we hover at very low speeds, sensorless does poorly in inrunners) but yes on the 17.5 motor, is a good balance of wheelspeed and torque.
Yeah I don't know anything about the Micro and his suggestion seemed suspect to me.

Thanks for the tips guys really helped me out a lot. Now a couple of quick dumb questions to help me make sure I get everything I need in one shot.

I'm assuming I need to get a servo horn, do I need to get a particular one?

Same topic, what about the dig servo? I have a hitec picked out for it do I need a servo horn for that?

Here is the dumb one, what pitch is the spur so I don't get the wrong pinion?

Any other little things I'm not thinking of?
Old 06-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yeah I don't know anything about the Micro and his suggestion seemed suspect to me.

Thanks for the tips guys really helped me out a lot. Now a couple of quick dumb questions to help me make sure I get everything I need in one shot.

I'm assuming I need to get a servo horn, do I need to get a particular one?
Same topic, what about the dig servo? I have a hitec picked out for it do I need a servo horn for that?

Here is the dumb one, what pitch is the spur so I don't get the wrong pinion?

Any other little things I'm not thinking of?
You do not need a servo horn if your buying a new kit, it comes with 2 to fit most popular brands, it also comes with 2 for the dig servo and the spur is 48 pitch
DaveQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
You do not need a servo horn if your buying a new kit, it comes with 2 to fit most popular brands, it also comes with 2 for the dig servo and the spur is 48 pitch
That's what I was thinking just didn't know for sure! Thanks again
Old 06-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
You need a servo horn if you are getting the Savox servo. Losi does not supply a futaba friendly horn and that is what the Savox uses. I run a 347oz savox servo on one of my axial trucks and use a racers edge clamping servo horn on it. It's worked great on 8 volts. As far as esc/motor goes, I run a tekin RS and Epic 17.5 that I bought used for less than $160. If I was buying new, I'd go Mamba Max Pro with a good 17.5 on 3 cells. Don't forget to pick up a CC BEC for your servo too
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote