Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Father & Son LCC's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Father & Son LCC's

This is Dakota's new Comp Crawler. I have had one since April 2010 and never done any build pics, so we are going to put up a few of Dakota's build. Dakota is my 6 year old son. He stared with an Axial AX10 but always wanted to use my LCC so now I can have mine back.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

This is both our crawlers.
Mine has a,
Xcelorin ESC
Novak 18.5 14Tpinion
Losi Dig srevo
JR DS8711 servo
DX3E
3S LiPo on front links
20 deg. C's

Dakota will use the DX3E too and I just moved the AUX to the side so he can reach it with his thumb.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Cool! I bet he will be out crawling you soon

Keep the pictures coming.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Today we started do some basic mods. First we took the front and rear diff apart and added grease ports. I put the front diffs hole up higher then the back so the set screw clears the gear better but it makes it harder to grease with my grease gun.

I done the rear in the centre like on my crawler.

Next was the RCBros OTA link. *Its nice when he helps beacuase it save my finger tips
This servo is just for mock up, until we get the new one.

Thats it for today. Taking kids out to play in the snow!
Old 02-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Looking good. It's very cool having a Hobby like this to share with your son. My son will be joining me soon but he's 28 years old now. Once I let him drive my LCC he's hooked. Keep the build pics coming...........
T/C Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Can't wait until my son is old enough to do this stuff with me! Just not looking forward to having to buy two of everything
d.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.a.v.e View Post
Can't wait until my son is old enough to do this stuff with me! Just not looking forward to having to buy two of everything
The two of everything sucks, but now we can take the tires off his AX10 and have extra sets of Sedonas and Boss Claws to run a heavy set-up or a light set-up of wheel weights.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Glad my son is old enough to spring for all of his new Crawler. And I am sure he will have to beat Dad's ass getting all the good stuff. As soon as he drove my LCC he said "how much and order me one" . Hey Tip: this might be a good time to do the Tranny flip so your motor is more forward. Also when tightening down the 2 halfs of the axles , spin the drive cup and tighten down the screws until you feel drag, then back the screws of 1/8 turn. Makes the axles run cooler and better battery run time too. Grease the shift forks in the Tranny too. You may want to put a access grease hole in the tranny too . Keep those build pic's coming.

Last edited by T/C Hunter; 02-07-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

After getting the grease ports drilled and the diffs back together and the RCBros OTA steering link on in place of the stock one we put the dig servo on. We used the Losi MSX12 Digital Servo.

Something I noticed when putting the axles back in is this one is "bumppy" from one end to the other on the inside axle only. It almost looks like it was spiraled. The other side is fine. Sorry about the bad picture, I will try to get a better one of the axle up later.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

lookiing good so far
coreyh29645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by T/C Hunter View Post
Glad my son is old enough to spring for all of his new Crawler. And I am sure he will have to beat Dad's ass getting all the good stuff. As soon as he drove my LCC he said "how much and order me one" . Hey Tip: this might be a good time to do the Tranny flip so your motor is more forward. Also when tightening down the 2 halfs of the axles , spin the drive cup and tighten down the screws until you feel drag, then back the screws of 1/8 turn. Makes the axles run cooler and better battery run time too. Grease the shift forks in the Tranny too. You may want to put a access grease hole in the tranny too . Keep those build pic's coming.
I drilled my tranny and what a differnce oiling it made. The only oil I had here at the time was WD40 and it spins much nicer now. Next time though I think I will try some Krown 73. What oil do you use and where did you drill yours?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

This is my Crawler and you can see where I drilled the tranny. I dont know if its a good spot or not but it works,you just have to watch if you drill it all together in the truck becuase the gear is VERY close to the case.

When I do Dakota's I will take it out and will give the dig springs a stretch at the same time.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
I drilled my tranny and what a differnce oiling it made. The only oil I had here at the time was WD40 and it spins much nicer now. Next time though I think I will try some Krown 73. What oil do you use and where did you drill yours?
I just disassembled mine and used a light White lithium grease , I will drill it out next time I tare it down. I am also going to run regular Synthetic motor oil in mine next time if it will not leak out that is . I will have to do some testing first. If it leaks out I will go with my {Kendall Super Blue} High Temp EP L-427 Grease . That stuff works great in my axles so I will try it in my Tranny next. I grease my axles every 6 runs , It gets a little messy where it ozzes out around the input shaft but I know it's well lubed this way. A quick wipe down and a few Q- tips and I am ready to go again. Axles are stealthy quiet and it runs cooler than any other grease I have tried so far.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Just a quick update: O-rings installed on the links to keep them from popping off. (pics to come)

Body going to paint shop this weekend?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Garry! Your an awsome dad, as well as many others on this site sir!
Growing up my g pa and i did all the boyscout, oine wood derby stuff and so on...what an interence into mind development and just flat out letting the imagineation side of the brain start to grow. Many props to you buddy, glad to see it and continue having fun with your boy!
SIK_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

We just used regular O-rings on the links. I will cut the ribs off the skid plate too.

Got a LRP 17.5 motor the other day, so now we are watching for a good used brushless ESC and not sure if we are going to get another JR servo or try a KO Pro. Has any one run the KO servos? My LHS said he has found one with 460?oz of torque (460 might not be right,but it was alot)
Old 02-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Default Mamba Max Pro on it way!

Well we havent done much to the crawler lately, but I just ordered a mamba max pro today and the body should be ready in a couple weeks. The servo I'm thinking of getting is a Hi tech hs-7954sh 403 oz/in @ 7.4v or a hs-7950th 486 oz/in @ 7.4v. But I'm not clear on how to run my steering servo at 7.4v and my dig servo at 6v. The Spektrum SR300 receiver can handle the 7.4v.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #18
Defy Gravity

direct wiring an external bec to the steering servo and then using the esc internal to power the rx and dig. as for the servo, 7950th gets my vote, ti gears and stronger. power=good
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
direct wiring an external bec to the steering servo and then using the esc internal to power the rx and dig. as for the servo, 7950th gets my vote, ti gears and stronger. power=good
What bec should I buy to do this?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #20
Defy Gravity

the castle one is the one i was running (torched, haven't gotten around to ordering another one since i lost the receipt), and even with the issues they're having now, still the best on the market. with the castle link, you can program the output to any desired voltage pretty much, just make sure to keep the receipt in case she pukes.

Last edited by ghtpdm5; 03-01-2011 at 11:28 PM.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote