Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: MOA do or dont.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #1

Default MOA do or dont.

so thinking of MOA.. what is a good kit? and can u go brushless on both motors?
drawls88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Defy Gravity

as far as a kit to convert a losi to a moa setup, there is only one and it is made by eritex inc. you could go brushless for both motors, the one possible issue is that you would have to run dual esc, you simply can't, to my knowledge, run 2 brushless motors off of one esc.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Got Worms?

You will have to run dual esc for ttwin brushless motors...I'd juggest mamba max pro, or wait for the holmes brushless esc to come out (still in the works, may be months, lol)

Only kit i know of is made by eritex inc

and well shafty will do everything the moa will do unless you get a moa chassis, if i didn't have all my money invested in a moa losi, i would have stayed as a shafty and run a brushless set up, but the moa allowed me to get around the high dollar brushless set up and use parts i had at that time, slowly upgrading my esc's, motors, etc...but if i was to build another losi i wouldn't go moa, but dual esc's is useful.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Defy Gravity

2 mamba max pros...you don't screw around lol. lot of real estate on that as well.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
2 mamba max pros...you don't screw around lol. lot of real estate on that as well.
i don't run dual brushless, if i did though it be two mmpro's unless hh had a brushless esc out...i run two brushed with brxls.

I'm like a electronics freak man, gotta have the best
Old 03-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
Defy Gravity

i got ya now, and i don't blame you for putting the best components in, its what i'd do in that situation myself with a losi chassis at least. just a quick check for op on this, with a moa truck why run brushless. brushed will be smoother and run just as well if not better if well maintained, although that could be the reason he's looking into dual brushless....
Old 03-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Changing my LCC over to MOA was one of the best moves i have done with my crawlers.

It's a wash between a quality brusless shafty setup and a good moa setup.

I run the RC4wd dig switch(you don't need the drag/gold brake cause of the worm gears) a Castle Sidewinder with team brood 35t motors.

I also switched over to a bodiless T1e chassis and that was a huge improvement. Going MOA and keeping the stock chassis is like shooting yourself in the foot. But changing the chassis to a MOA designed one will get you all the benefits that the berg/bully guys are used to(narrow higher clearence)

Plan your moves out carefully and take your time.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgerstandtx View Post
Changing my LCC over to MOA was one of the best moves i have done with my crawlers.

It's a wash between a quality brusless shafty setup and a good moa setup.

I run the RC4wd dig switch(you don't need the drag/gold brake cause of the worm gears) a Castle Sidewinder with team brood 35t motors.

I also switched over to a bodiless T1e chassis and that was a huge improvement. Going MOA and keeping the stock chassis is like shooting yourself in the foot. But changing the chassis to a MOA designed one will get you all the benefits that the berg/bully guys are used to(narrow higher clearence)

Plan your moves out carefully and take your time.
Couldn't agree more. Been running my moa Losi now, up against Berg's and xr-10's and it's just fantastic ( even with the stock chassi). Will never go back to shaft-drive. I'm definitly going to upgrade to a T1e, but I'm not in a hurry. I run it with a Mamba max, punck-rc dig an two 35t motors on 3s. Go for it bro'
steelyb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
i got ya now, and i don't blame you for putting the best components in, its what i'd do in that situation myself with a losi chassis at least. just a quick check for op on this, with a moa truck why run brushless. brushed will be smoother and run just as well if not better if well maintained, although that could be the reason he's looking into dual brushless....
Brushless technology is getting alot better for crawlers, and seems to be more efficent with worms due to the ratio they have. I am going to keep my brushed setup till hh comes out with his brushless line, then i'll be running hh puller pro's and what ever his esc is goign to be...oh his puller pro's will have more torque and low end control than any other motor of comparable size...the 550 size brushless will have over 2 hp
Old 03-03-2011, 03:52 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I tried real hard to get dual brushless to work in my losi... i now run brushed

They did run but the noise at low speed and the clod stalling was annoying me lol... with the brushed brood motors i now run it is butter smooth
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:54 AM   #11
RCC Addict

On and going brushed will save you money (unless you already have the brushless) on esc & motors, your esc options are smaller to save room if you go dual esc too
Old 03-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #12
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulksta View Post
I tried real hard to get dual brushless to work in my losi... i now run brushed

They did run but the noise at low speed and the clod stalling was annoying me lol... with the brushed brood motors i now run it is butter smooth
what was you running?
Old 03-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
what was you running?
I was running dual tekin RS and 17.5t tekin motors, I tried stock + 13mm high torque + 14mm high torque rotors all running on Hyperion 3s 45c lipo but still couldn't get close to the smoothness of brushed
Old 03-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulksta View Post
I was running dual tekin RS and 17.5t tekin motors, I tried stock + 13mm high torque + 14mm high torque rotors all running on Hyperion 3s 45c lipo but still couldn't get close to the smoothness of brushed
Well john promises the smoothest low end possible, and i'm sure he'll have it. I'll give it a try, hopefully i get good results
Old 03-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Well john promises the smoothest low end possible, and i'm sure he'll have it. I'll give it a try, hopefully i get good results
How long will he release new brushless Esc..(is there an estimate date less or more)
guidetti_angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #16

ordered my kit today. looking into the holmes hobbies tourqe motors. but also the tekin stuff too. thanks guys for all the good info. going brushed for now utill something better comes along....
Old 03-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #17
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidetti_angelo View Post
How long will he release new brushless Esc..(is there an estimate date less or more)
No, its not even official yet about his esc...but he has mentioned it a few times in his threads which i try and follow, probably a year or so...if your looking for something now don't wait for him, but if you have a good brushed setup and are wanting to go to brushless then i think its worth the wait for jrh to release his esc, if i have the money when its released i'll have one, as long as its comparable to mmpro, but i have a feeling it may be better...maybe a brushless holmes hold although not useful on the losi but still a nice feature, it gives worm haters the advantages of having worms in your system.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #18

Moa kit installed lookout Holmes hobbies here I come... Got to get this done before the axial wraith comes out..