Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: *** New Dig Springs ***

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Thumbs up *** New Dig Springs ***

There has been a running change in the dig springs for the past few months in the kits and also the package LOSA3178.

The new one's are a lot stiffer and offer 100% better Dig responce while shifting. If you have to really let off the throttle when you dig then check these out. You can still use the same small servo without causing any strain on it. You can see and feel a noticeable difference between the two so there wont be a mix-up when you install them.

New one is on the left. Bigger wire then the old one.

Rubbaneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Cool! Thanks for the info!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
mrG
RCC Addict

Right on I've been thinking of getting new springs. I been wondering about something, when I go into front dig (rear tires locked) the drive shaft to the rear end still turns a little. What could cause this? It doesn't happen when I go into rear dig. I haven't opened the tranny lately but last time I did everything seemed to be in working order. It has done this ever since I got it. It's number is 003457 if that means anything.
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrG View Post
Right on I've been thinking of getting new springs. I been wondering about something, when I go into front dig (rear tires locked) the drive shaft to the rear end still turns a little. What could cause this? It doesn't happen when I go into rear dig. I haven't opened the tranny lately but last time I did everything seemed to be in working order. It has done this ever since I got it. It's number is 003457 if that means anything.
It sounds like you need to adjust you radio end-points (EPA) a little further. Look and make sure nothing is binding in that direction, this can cause it to not fully seat into the cogs.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrG View Post
I have found that the best way to set your dig endpoints is this:

Support the truck at the middle of the skid so that the tires are off the ground. Engage the dig in one direction and give the truck some throttle so the wheels are spinning a little. Put a finger on the output of the locked end of the truck. If the dig is engaged completely, you should not feel any bumping on the output, it should be pretty smooth. If you feel any bumping or the shaft is spinning slightly, adjust the endpoint to get rid of it. Go slow, only a click or two at a time until the dig is fully engaged and you can't feel any bumping or roughness. Repeat for the other end of the truck. Hope this helps.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks Jay.

How about those sweet dig shaft linkage mounts?
Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

So Jay,

is this a new part number? Or, if we order these from another shop, will they still be trying to get rid of the old version of the springs?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
So Jay,

is this a new part number? Or, if we order these from another shop, will they still be trying to get rid of the old version of the springs?
x2 I need new springs. I've been having some engagement issues on the last 2 packs I ran. Is Horizon still sitting on a ton of old springs or have they already been shipping the new ones and we just didn't know it?
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
So Jay,

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
x2 I need new springs. I've been having some engagement issues on the last 2 packs I ran. Is Horizon still sitting on a ton of old springs or have they already been shipping the new ones and we just didn't know it?
The new springs come in the replacement dig plate package Pretty sure the part number is the same, and fresh dig plates are always good.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
So Jay,

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
They have been out for a while according to Rich and Jake. I just ordered from Horizon last week and I got them yesterday. I noticed they are the newer ones and was excited to see them change.

I would say its safe to order from Horizon and get the new ones. As for local hobbyshops take a look and see if the wire is small. The old wire diameter is about .010 and the new is .030, quite a noticable difference and feel.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Thanks Rubba. My LHS doesnt't stock LCC parts since there's only a handful of us around here running them, so I'll have them order some from horizon.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #13
mrG
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbaneck View Post
They have been out for a while according to Rich and Jake. I just ordered from Horizon last week and I got them yesterday. I noticed they are the newer ones and was excited to see them change.

I would say its safe to order from Horizon and get the new ones. As for local hobbyshops take a look and see if the wire is small. The old wire diameter is about .010 and the new is .030, quite a noticable difference and feel.
Thanks
Old 03-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #14
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Can somebody help me with the theory of these?

When I experience problems doing a dig its usually because the dig fork/output does not release instantly. Doesnt it make it harder if anything for it to release since the servo has to work harder?

The only situation I can see these helping is when coming out of a dig and back to 4wd. Is this what the springs fix or am I missing something here?

I once tried stretching my springs but hated it and made my dig much worse. I have had pretty good luck with stock springs and leaving them alone. Actually, one of the biggest differences for me was going to an AL dig shaft and keeping slightly worn dig plates.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #15
mrG
RCC Addict

I have problems coming out of dig more than going into it. Just ordered the new ones today, when I put them in I'm going to check everything and grease it good. Hopefully things smooth out.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Thanks Rubba for making that so clear.

Great addition and it takes care of the weak springs.

Everything works as it should now.

JC
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #17
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Can somebody help me with the theory of these?

When I experience problems doing a dig its usually because the dig fork/output does not release instantly. Doesnt it make it harder if anything for it to release since the servo has to work harder?

The only situation I can see these helping is when coming out of a dig and back to 4wd. Is this what the springs fix or am I missing something here?

I once tried stretching my springs but hated it and made my dig much worse. I have had pretty good luck with stock springs and leaving them alone. Actually, one of the biggest differences for me was going to an AL dig shaft and keeping slightly worn dig plates.
The new springs help when shifting back into 4wd. Even a micro servo has more than enough torque to shift into dig. With the stiffer springs, you can shift back into 4wd on the fly with no noise at all
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

That is what I need then, should the dig plates be the upgraded metal or would the plastic be good?
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #19
mrG
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid plate View Post
Thanks Rubba for making that so clear.

What was that thing?
Old 03-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #20
RCC Addict

BEER WAGON................................

JC
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote