Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Oops I bought a Goat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #1

Default Oops I bought a Goat

Ok I'm new so don't hammer me too much. I'm building a CC and am scoring most everything off eBay. I ordered a Goat esc/motor combo (18.5t). I'm now reading all the bad news posts about the goat. Am I screwed? I do have a brand new Traxxas Velenion 3x brushless combo sitting here. Any thoughts? Also I'm putting in a Spectrum 270 oz/in digital steering servo. Will my rx supply enough current to this baby? (It's a traxxas 2.4 ghz robbed because it's 3 channel ) ok thanks
bigloudvtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

From what I can tell the bad news comes from folks who are mixing and matching the esc or motor with other branded parts.

I've had a combo now for over a year and used it in crawlers and scalers and the only problem I have had is the wheel speed available usually gets me into more trouble than out of it.
Badmuthatrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I've got the goat 3s and 18.5 combo. It has worked flawlessly as has every other novak product I have had.
it is not as adjustable as the MMP or the Tekin RS, but sometimes less options is a good thing. I set it to the default worm program and haven't touched it since.

I'm not a novak fanboy, I have esc's from many brands, tekin, futaba, lrp, castle, tamiya, and losi. all work well for their intended use.

the only esc's I've had non user-error problems with in 20 years of rc were off-brand, clones, and/or bought used.
aconsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmuthatrucker View Post
From what I can tell the bad news comes from folks who are mixing and matching the esc or motor with other branded parts.

I've had a combo now for over a year and used it in crawlers and scalers and the only problem I have had is the wheel speed available usually gets me into more trouble than out of it.
I have a small pinion gear (14t) for it. Might help w the wheel speed issue.
bigloudvtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Default novak crawler system

I have one of the first novak crawler systems and used it in a e maxx with no problems, but I put it in my honcho and have glitching problems even after adjusting, Should I get a traxxas receiver to put in the honcho? I really like the power of the system when it worked. The reason I say traxxas receiver I know it has worked very well with it.
borock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloudvtwin View Post
Ok I'm new so don't hammer me too much. I'm building a CC and am scoring most everything off eBay. I ordered a Goat esc/motor combo (18.5t). I'm now reading all the bad news posts about the goat. Am I screwed? I do have a brand new Traxxas Velenion 3x brushless combo sitting here. Any thoughts? Also I'm putting in a Spectrum 270 oz/in digital steering servo. Will my rx supply enough current to this baby? (It's a traxxas 2.4 ghz robbed because it's 3 channel ) ok thanks
Its the esc that seems to go most of the time, the motors are pretty good aside from being a little notchy. The Goat is a far better option than the Traxxas combo. And me personaly I would run a external bec from Castle instead of the goats external bec, but thats just me
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I have had that setup and never had an issue. It runs well.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Goat worked fine for me, was a great plug n play setup but I needed to run an external bec or it would reset everytime the servo started working hard... I ended up going the MMP so I can play with settings and go 4s
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:09 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I havent been useing my Goat 3s setup very long but seems to work great so far for me. Running a 12tooth pinion on mine, but think i need to jump up to a 13 or 14tooth.
dabbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #10

I've been running a 2S Novak Goat ESC and 18.5 combo for 15 months. Ran everything from a 13T to 17T pinion on Sedonas, Comp Claws and Boss Claws.

6 months ago I added an external Castle BEC and started running 3S lipos through it. No fan or external cooler.

It just works. (17T pinion is too much though)
Shawn M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I had the goat 3s and ballistic 18.5 brushless combo when i first got my LCC. It was AWESOME at first. I did have a problem after about 4 months of running it pretty hard. I had a bad MOFSET, whatever that is. It started have a very ruff almost ratchety low end.

I also had a hard time getting Novak to stand behind the product, which actually was totally my fault. I tried to reconnect the wires from the ESC to the motor thinking i had a bad solder joint. Well, i did it about 3 times and by the third time i realized it was not a bad solder joint and my solder connection looked HORRIBLE! instead of cleaning it up, i mailed it in for repair. They called me and said that they were not going to warranty the product because the soldering was so bad. I had to get a little heated with them and explain the situation and why the product looked the way it did and in hindsight i would have cleaned it up.

They did eventually stand behind the product! I think that says a lot!

So, if you hook it up correctly you shouldn't have a problem, and if you do, make sure your connections look good and Novak will stand behind it.

When it was running, IMHO it was running just as good as my MMP 1 cell that i'm running now.
concretejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I have run the Goat 3s with an 18.5 for about a year and I have had a few problems, but I belive they are related to the novak BEC not the ESC. Use the CC bec with it, and you should be good to go.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

I had problems with the Losi systems but once I got the Goat & 18.5 with a CC BEC life has been good.
d.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

you guys may be right about the BEC! I was running the Novak BEC when i had my issues. I have been thinking about hooking my new Goat up with the Castle BEC and see how it performs.
concretejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #15
MODERATOR™

I've had a Goat 3S controller fail. No idea why. Lights don't work. Never cared to send it in, I just moved on instead. It lasted a long enough time, probably a year. I went on to a Holmes controller and eventually that failed, also. They're just electronics, they're wear items... when you push things too far.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
I've had a Goat 3S controller fail. No idea why. Lights don't work. Never cared to send it in, I just moved on instead. It lasted a long enough time, probably a year. I went on to a Holmes controller and eventually that failed, also. They're just electronics, they're wear items... when you push things too far.
My pit box still smells like that Holmes controller...
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #17
MODERATOR™

I just opened the bag it and 4 or 5 Tekins are in. Took a big hit. Smells like too much power! I love it!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I have been running a goat for a year now , the first one let go after the motor was running melted, not my fault though. found out the old style ss crawler can was bad from the git go. sent them in to novak and they replaced them both for free with a ballistic setup. so far i have had no problems with these. just my .02!
relic68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

My Goat 3s has been fine so far, I use a Castle BEC though.
dave56bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

i have the goat 3s in mine and love that profile number 2 is for rigs with worms in it like the lcc
freakofnature is offline   Reply With Quote