RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Team Losi Comp Crawler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/team-losi-comp-crawler/)
-   -   HD Worm gear issues...Still?? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/team-losi-comp-crawler/310584-hd-worm-gear-issues-still.html)

maxxflip 04-09-2011 11:54 AM

HD Worm gear issues...Still??

Helping a buddy try to put HD worms in his LNC, couldnt spin the pinion by hand or pliers. After many different shim combination s and even trying it without the spool, the pinion was still extremely tight in the housing...
I then measured the length (from bearing seat to bearing seat) of the pinion to find out the HD pinion is almost a full MM longer than the original...

WTF Losi ?!?!?!:x

Anyone else have this problem ???

losikid 04-09-2011 12:07 PM

Are you running the shims it came with?

maxxflip 04-09-2011 12:18 PM

Tried the ones it came with, the originals and none to no avail...
Even with no shims and no spool it still would bind when the case bolts where tightened...
It seems the pinion is just to long between bearing seats...

Sneed 04-09-2011 12:57 PM

Yep... I'm sure Losi knows...? I sent a set I had ordered back to them. Still no word. I put Dlux in the rear, also ordered another chromo for the front. My HD is showing pretty good wear only after two comps and light practicing...

concretejungle 04-09-2011 01:38 PM

this is a stupid question, but are the HD's the worms or the spools? Or, both? If it's just the worms and they run on the regular spools, i'm going to say screw it and get the cromo units from dlux.

losikid 04-09-2011 01:59 PM

Both, spool and worm.

Ralphy 04-09-2011 04:54 PM

[ WTF Losi ?!?!?!:x???[/QUOTE]

First off bub it's not LOSi who makes the gears, it's a seperate machining company and it's not like they pre-run each and every gears before they sell them to see if their perfect..if you have an issue try nicely asking losi top help you out and loose the attitude that it's somehow their fault, thats my advice.

maxxflip 04-10-2011 11:21 AM

I guess ill just throw it in the lathe and try to make it right...:roll:

letrbuk 04-10-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralphy (Post 3035113)
[ WTF Losi ?!?!?!:x???

First off bub it's not LOSi who makes the gears, it's a seperate machining company and it's not like they pre-run each and every gears before they sell them to see if their perfect..if you have an issue try nicely asking losi top help you out and loose the attitude that it's somehow their fault, thats my advice.[/QUOTE]

It is losi's fault because they didn't go with a good manufacturer with good quality control. You can say it's not there fault all day long but they choose who makes there stuff.

losikid 04-10-2011 12:18 PM

Oh by the way, hd's were made to use less shims, so it will be longer...

I just pulled the calipers out, the hd's are 30 thousandths longer (shim seat to shim seat) which is 3/4 of a mm longer, so they are probably machined correctly, i think you have problems else where.

concretejungle 04-10-2011 02:15 PM

could a bent axle housing cause this?

losikid 04-10-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by concretejungle (Post 3036392)
could a bent axle housing cause this?

? i don't know how you would bend the area where the worm is, possibly a warped housing though, if the area the worm sits in shrinked just a touch the worm may be rubbing on the axle housing.

Sneed 04-10-2011 04:46 PM

I tried new bearings and housings with mine and didn't help with the HD's. :evil: If I still had my bad set, I would measure them both and give a comparison.

djjiz 04-10-2011 05:14 PM

Any chance of running thinner bearings?

maxxflip 04-10-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by letrbuk (Post 3036234)
It is losi's fault because they didn't go with a good manufacturer with good quality control. You can say it's not there fault all day long but they choose who makes there stuff.

"thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by losikid (Post 3036284)
Oh by the way, hd's were made to use less shims, so it will be longer...

I just pulled the calipers out, the hd's are 30 thousandths longer (shim seat to shim seat) which is 3/4 of a mm longer, so they are probably machined correctly, i think you have problems else where.

So why wouldn't it spin freely without any shims?

The stock worm spun freely before with its original 6 (I think) shims, and worked perfect after we gave up on the HD worm...8)

Quote:

Originally Posted by djjiz (Post 3036602)
Any chance of running thinner bearings?

I suppose you could...But really, shouldnt it just fit like its supposed to :roll:

djjiz 04-10-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxxflip (Post 3036851)
I suppose you could...But really, shouldnt it just fit like its supposed to :roll:

I hear ya.. I went with different axles to solve my issues but if bearings are a option it might get some guys rolling for the weekend.

losikid 04-10-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxxflip (Post 3036851)
"thumbsup"

So why wouldn't it spin freely without any shims?

The stock worm spun freely before with its original 6 (I think) shims, and worked perfect after we gave up on the HD worm...8)

I believe hd's have a bigger od, i'll have to check...so if the axle casing is warped then it will cause problems. i ran my axles HOT when i was running stock worms, when i put in a proto dlux gear (a slightly bigger od) it was bound up like you are mention what yours are doing, when i tried a new axle housing it wasn't all bound up, so you may have a warped axle housing due to the heat.

Have you CALLED or CONTACTED losi yet, i'm sure they'll help you, or get replacements out to you.

shmangi 04-29-2011 07:23 PM

same problem

I just got a set of HD's and they bind up as soon as I put the housing together. At first I thought the bearing was bad but it seems fine. Not sure what the problem is still though. I read the post but something doesnt seem right.

cliffdawg 04-30-2011 05:40 AM

Installed mine two nights ago. The front was a bit rough but still spun, installing the rear it was a different story, they were smooth as butter. Oh well I guess the fronts will have to wear in.
Ryan

TOPWOP04 05-01-2011 07:12 PM

I got my hd gears a week ago and they work good no problems. (yet)