RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Team Losi Comp Crawler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/team-losi-comp-crawler/)
-   -   the tranny, to lube or not to lube that is the question... (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/team-losi-comp-crawler/310950-tranny-lube-not-lube-question.html)

cliffdawg 04-11-2011 03:45 PM

the tranny, to lube or not to lube that is the question...

Well I have been going through all the back info on the forum looking for opinions on lubing the trans. I bought a can of spray silicone, and am thinking of going with two ports like erik. Anyone have any suggestions on if its worth it? Or should I just leave it alone?

Thanks,
Ryan

Robbob 04-11-2011 03:48 PM

I personally do not.

Almost 2 years on the internal pieces and I have never greased them.

I used a small amount, just a thin layer on the dig forks but other then that nothing.

EeePee 04-11-2011 03:54 PM

A drop of very thin oil (bearing oil actually) on the dig forks, and nothing anywhere else. And I highly doubt it's still there knowing the RPMs of that transmission. Fling!

It's plastic.

concretejungle 04-11-2011 04:20 PM

i lube for her pleasure.

davec 04-11-2011 04:24 PM

I lubed mine with a thin layer of grease last time I rebuilt it. Seems a little quieter and smoother, but that could all be in my head. :)

flyinfatkid 04-11-2011 05:30 PM

i have never lubed the tranny. how ever i think i might put a little bearing oil just to try it out

thomass14 04-11-2011 07:00 PM

i never have but lube cant hurt

highlandcrawler 04-11-2011 11:40 PM

The gears need very little if any. Put to much grease in there and you are just causing more resistance in the tranny which the losi really does not need. Just a few dabs on a couple spots on the gears during reassembly is all thats needed. You want to make sure to use a decent amount on your dig cogs and your dig fork arms. Ports aren't necessary really as you can just do all that during periodic maintenance. I use losi blue grease on my dig parts and thick bearing oil on my gears. I have hundreds of hours on mine and it still works and looks like new inside"thumbsup"

cliffdawg 04-12-2011 04:16 AM

I see a lot of grease people here I also was talking about spray silicone too. Does anyone spray dry spray lube in them?

mrG 04-12-2011 09:03 PM

I haven't heard of anyone using silicone spray on their LCC tranny, knew a guy who used it on his worms but that's very different. I put a butt load of Mobil 1 grease in the tranny and it was like posted earlier, too much resistance. I disassembled gave it a good wipe down (there was still a thin layer) and reassembled. I haven't noticed any difference, but I feel better knowing it's in there. Give the silicone a shot and post up what you find.

cliffdawg 04-13-2011 04:48 AM

Will do, can anyone post a pic or two of their tranny grease ports?

Thanks
Ryan

Garry 04-13-2011 03:07 PM

I used a very thin oil in mine and it was quieter and shifted smoother too. But before that I run it for almost a year with no issue.