Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: DIY Axle Weights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default DIY Axle Weights

Here's a method to add non rotating mass to your front axle to help achieve a low COG, better climbing, side hilling, and overall stability. These make a HUGE difference with just these, but after i added DLUX knuckle weights i noticed another jump of improvement.

Alright so what you'll need

Stick on Lead wraps (The ones pictured are .75" wide and each section is .5" long)
Tape
Zip Ties
Hot Glue
a pair of snips, or some sort of cutters
fine point marker

Here's my lead, i salvaged it from an old wheel, it seems to me the tire store gave it to me.

I broke it down into .75" x 1" sections

Alright So what you want to do here is hold the lead so its sitting on top of the shock bolt, and far enough towards the chassis that the steering link will clear when cranked all the way. Then take your marker and mark where you need to cut to clear the shock bolt AND how much needs to be cut so it it will clear the C as well.

Now take your snips and cut the lead. Lead is real soft so the snips should cut through it like frozen ice cream. It should come out like this, and a picture of it on the axle.

Ok so now you have layer one, now repeat the above to create layer two. The shock bolt may still need a little clearance, but it should clear the C's

Alright now you have two layers done, i add one more, which i don't do any trimming,

This is my 3 pieces

Alright so now time to glue em together. I used hot glue

Now this last step is optional, but i wrapped mine in masking tape so i can paint them in future and it'll alittle better looking than plain lead.

Now repeat for the other side, results should come out like this

Now zip tie em on, (go around the axle)

There you have, make your losi preform lots better for almost free
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: DIY Axle Weights

This is nice. What does each of those pieces weight?
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Got Worms?

I don't remember, from the pics i'd guess 2-3 oz each
Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

nice tip. for another quick one: adding weight to the rear axle, you can use xr10 wheel weights. they have a concave shape to them that matches the rear lockouts very close. one on top, one on bottom, a little electrical tape wrap and a zip tie and you have it. they weigh .75 ounces each so it's easy to add 1.5 ounces to each side of the rear.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Nice idea I'm gonna copy it been saving to pik up the dlux hub weights but ran across thread n had to check it outim gonna try n plastidip finished product to help durability
Gotspaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
nice tip. for another quick one: adding weight to the rear axle, you can use xr10 wheel weights. they have a concave shape to them that matches the rear lockouts very close. one on top, one on bottom, a little electrical tape wrap and a zip tie and you have it. they weigh .75 ounces each so it's easy to add 1.5 ounces to each side of the rear.
I just use the wheel balancing lead (same as above) and wrap it around...dlux also just started selling rear weight holders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotspaulding View Post
Nice idea I'm gonna copy it been saving to pik up the dlux hub weights but ran across thread n had to check it outim gonna try n plastidip finished product to help durability
Plastidip sounds like a good idea, post up pics on how they turn out