Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Lower links question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #1

Arrow Lower links question

What would be the best high clearance lower links on a stock LCC.

I have a LNC, but they're the same thing.

Can I put these on with no problem, or are they gonna come up against the upper links?
http://www.crawlerfoams.com/index.ph...mart&Itemid=63
Cpap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

with the stock location of the uppers theres not much room for the lowers to bend. those ci's probably will not fit well and will change your caster up as well. Look into eric-dlux ti links, he has manufactured links specifically for the losi and they are bent as well but in a way to not lose the flex and save clearance of the uppers
Jenkins88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkins88 View Post
with the stock location of the uppers theres not much room for the lowers to bend. those ci's probably will not fit well and will change your caster up as well. Look into eric-dlux ti links, he has manufactured links specifically for the losi and they are bent as well but in a way to not lose the flex and save clearance of the uppers
Thanks
I've looked into those. I'm interested in delrin links though. Don't know where to look for those. I know Crawler Innovations has other HCL links.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE=Cpap999;3149715]Thanks
I've looked into those. I'm interested in delrin links though. Don't know where to look for those

www.dluxfab.com
Old 06-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Defy Gravity

in all seriousness, delrin links are simple enough to make. and ask daveq about the ci links, he just picked some up.

and jenkins, there's plenty of room to bend links as long as the bend is in the right spot.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

we have this link too in titanium for comp/night crawler

http://www.lunsfordracing.com/mm5/me..._Code=ROCK-LCC
DkoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #7

I know "KC_Jones" makes delrin links. I got sum with my poison dart chassis idk if he sells just the links tho. I got em and also the dlux bent ti links both r nice and have the same amount of clearance but kc's links r called frog legs and one pair is bent odd but still got plenty of clearance. hit him up he prolly has sum to sell
nik81818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

yeah there is room but those ones from ci were bent straight up and down, though ive never tried them myself maybe they could work. imo the ti links are better to bend because there so thin you have more clearance
Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
Defy Gravity

its not a matter of them being bent (or cut) straight up and down. its a simple matter of where the bend is on the link. in the middle will end in hitting uppers, but closer to the end will allow you to sneak past the hitting. when i did mine, i tried quite a few different bends on some test ones before i settled on the ones i'm running. i have confidence the ci links would work, may need a touch of sanding, but they're beefy to begin with. the titanium is smaller yes, but also more expensive, and a touchier material to work with than delrin for bending. heard many a story about breaking them while bending, as opposed to delrin rod, which is just heat and bend.

maybe not the set he linked, but this set (http://www.crawlerfoams.com/index.ph...mart&Itemid=63) looks very similar in bend to the ones i made

Last edited by ghtpdm5; 06-21-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

not trying to step on your toes, your right about ti, its really an expensive metal. I might try to do something with the delrin on my own now that you said it works good. Do you know where to get blank delrin tubes?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #11
Defy Gravity

mcmaster carr is the place to get delrin, best would be 5/16" solid and then make or buy a link drill bushing to drill out to 4mm and use revo ends, mine are made with 1/4" tube with the ends tapped out to 6-32 for 1942's and then stiff 1/8" steel wire rammed in for a core, it makes for a nice easy stiff link. and never thought you were stepping on toes, there are just ways around any issue. the bend is the hardest part on these, and in all honesty, i eyeballed it after being in trig hell for a couple hours, and those eyeballed ones are the ones on there, sometimes gut instinct overules math.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
maybe not the set he linked, but this set (http://www.crawlerfoams.com/index.ph...mart&Itemid=63) looks very similar in bend to the ones i made
I could get those then, and with some sanding they should work perfectly on my crawler. Is that what your basically saying?
Old 06-22-2011, 07:48 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

from just looking at those particular links they look bent down by the axle just like any ti link would be for the losi so very similar just beefier.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #14

I'm ordering those then. Looks like I'm gonna have a load of sanding
Old 06-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #15
Defy Gravity

for those, probably going to want revo rod ends on the axle side and jato ends on the chassis side to get the length close to correct may even have to take some off the jato end. and looks like the sanding will be pretty minimal, at most a chamfer near where the upper links and driveshaft would be, not going to be a drop in mod, but nothing sand paper and a small file won't be able to handle.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

post ur picks and how to when you get them on
Old 06-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I went through this same process months ago and from my experience and mistakes i can tell you that you have three options:
1. Make your own and spend the time trying to engineer them to the right length and get the bends just right so that they will clear the uppers and still keep proper suspension geometry.
2. Get the lundsford links and bolt them on... they are better than stock.
3. Save yourself the time and headaches and just get eric delux's links. They are sweet and by the time you buy material to try to make your own and make some mistakes, these just make sense. THe clearance is awesome!
concretejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #18

Ordered the links. Should be in a couple days.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #19

Delrin should be great for the links. I use them to make bushings as well. Found a great site that can give you more info and has some in stock.

http://www.iplasticsupply.com/materi...alux-sheet-rod
2talltary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #20

im gettn the ti links!! cant wait
S-towncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crawler innovations, losi