Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: minnesotamudder's first crawler, lcc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default minnesotamudder's first crawler, lcc

ok so this is my first crawler(im not new to rc though, iv been racing for about a year now), and im starting to get it together. Im puting a tekin 35t hand wound motor, a spektrum s200 for the dig, a futaba s9303 servo for the stering. I also got some wighted wheels for it. I will be puting in a spektrum DX3c radio in it when it comes out. I was wondering how i should gear the 35t motor? All i have to do is get a speed control and im good. so what do you guys think?
minnesotamudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I would gear it low, 12t or 13t... Watch the heat in the motor and have a good in the lcc section for setup tips and keep the diffs well greased
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

ok so what type of pinon gear?(link would help). and will those servos work?(not really woried about stering servo, i have 2 and payed $20 apice for them), just the servo for the dig, its a full size servo that came with a dx3e?
Old 04-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

my motors r actually 55t motors so what gearing should i use?( got them used so the stickers were alittle wore.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
Defy Gravity

have fun torching them. 55t never lasts long. pinion gear is 48 pitch, and stick with hulksta's recommendation on gearing it low.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

ok so gear them with a 12 or 13 pinion. Any sugestions for a speed control, i would like a good one that i can eventualy put a brushless motor in it. so those servos will work fine? What r some good upgrades to do( once i see how it does mostly stock).
Old 04-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Yeah mate brushed don't last long for some people but others like them.. I think it comes down to the driver and how well they drive and can maintain the rig/motor

For esc you can't go wrong with mamba max pro.. And if you already have the castle link you'll save money not having to buy a programer for others
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

With those 55t keep an eye on temps and rebuild them faithfully and they should last a little while. Not forever, but a while. For esc the mamba pro 1 cell is very nice and supports sensored motors which is what you would want. For steering that servo is going to be very overworked and most likely fail on you. 100 oz is just not enough for effective crawling. A hitec 5645 is the minimum I would recommend for a comp crawler. And the spektrum servo will work, but not in the stock location really. Its very large compared to the servo it was designed for. I would also suggest low gearing. Look between 12-14 for pinions. I like losi ones myself and they fit well. Here are some links to look at for some of the parts i mentioned. If you are curios just ask more questions thats why we are all here Also I didn't see mention of a bec. You need that also

castle 1 cell
http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi....pl?pn=CCM6699
pinion gears
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=LOS4112
steering minimum
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rce=google_ext

decent dig servo
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rce=google_ext
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:29 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

thanks guys, i think ill get a caste mmp cause i have a castle link. i think ill stick with the strearing servos i have(got them for $10 apice), and ill prob get a new dig servo.
with the motors im going to run them tell they fry then get some 35t or 45t motors insted.(dont really want to go brushless unless i have to)
Old 04-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

will a traxxas xl-5 esc be able to handle the 55t motor?(just wanted to getsomething i can use untill i get a better speed controler.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

can any one give me a link for the servo horn for the futaba servo i have?
Old 04-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

ok another question, with the spektrum sr300 reciver, can i plug a bec into the bind port, or is this not posible?
Old 04-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #13
Defy Gravity

is your search button broken? the servo is a 25 spline or futaba labeled servo horn, the xl-5 will handle a 55t just fine with no worry, the bind plug is also the battery plug on the spektrum recievers. i know this, because i have looked around on this site for more than 5 minutes and this has all been covered numerous times.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
is your search button broken? the servo is a 25 spline or futaba labeled servo horn, the xl-5 will handle a 55t just fine with no worry, the bind plug is also the battery plug on the spektrum recievers. i know this, because i have looked around on this site for more than 5 minutes and this has all been covered numerous times.
thanks for the help(and yes i did search, i gess i didnt use the right key words)
Old 04-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #15
Defy Gravity

eh, you weren't getting yelled at or anything, just a hair on edge from other people starting stupid useless threads for no reason, wasn't so much me getting frustrated with your questions, as you getting caught in the fallout. that being said, you have a couple things that i would change, but, you'll get it down and working eventually i'm sure. watch the classifieds here for deals, i was scared of the price of brushless, and then i bought my mmp, and then found a tekin 17.5 on here cheap. i like the smooth brushed power, but not having to really worry about my motor during a run sure is nice. your setup should be enough to get by, if you take decent care of your motor, and take it easy. my first comp, i watched a guy torch a 55t novak in 2 gates, and seen it plenty on here.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

im just trying to get it up and running with the cheapest stuff posible(not much money i just do a paper route for cash), so i can get to a comp and see what i need to upgrade. i wont have a dig untill may(thats when ill get a dx3c) so im just puting in a 27mhz traxxas radio for now. and i am prepared to fry stuff, thats why i bought 2 servos, and 2 motors.(plus i got good deals).
do you know any place for good batteries for a good price? and if i run the xl5 for a bit i need a lipo cutoff(i was thinking of a novack smartsense cut off) will that work untill i get a better esc and other stuff?
Old 04-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #17
Defy Gravity

yeah, that novak cutoff will do, and the xl-5 will only do 2s, but gets ya by. cheapbatterypacks.com is back in stock, i love the 4 i've ordered from them, but for decent cheap batteries, also look at hobbyking.com, chinese stuff, but pretty decent at least with the turnigy brand. also classifieds here.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotamudder View Post
im just trying to get it up and running with the cheapest stuff posible(not much money i just do a paper route for cash), so i can get to a comp and see what i need to upgrade. i wont have a dig untill may(thats when ill get a dx3c) so im just puting in a 27mhz traxxas radio for now. and i am prepared to fry stuff, thats why i bought 2 servos, and 2 motors.(plus i got good deals).
do you know any place for good batteries for a good price? and if i run the xl5 for a bit i need a lipo cutoff(i was thinking of a novack smartsense cut off) will that work untill i get a better esc and other stuff?
Valuehobby.com has pretty good batteries on the cheap
lwb Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

i found a battery that im going to use
link
http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-2000-74-Pack.htm
its a 2000mah pack so how much run time should i expect?
Old 04-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #20
Defy Gravity

too rich for my blood....but with my 1000's on 30t brushed, i was getting 10-15 minutes depending, and 3000 nimh was about a half hour to give you an idea. look around for better deals, 40 bucks for one 2000 2s is high.