Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Comp Crawler Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Comp Crawler Build

Got the truck back together and took it for a very mild spin around the yard and over some rocks. Axles did great and didn't leak a drop of oil Will try to do better testing tomorrow.
TheREDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

So after testing I saw the oil wasn't thick enough. So I switched to smoke oil treatment with about 40% Lucas oil treatment. Most of you will know it is super thick and sticky and I had to apply it very similar to grease Ran one pack and there was a decrease in heat. Going to run one more pack tonight Seals on the ouputs are still working great!

Last edited by TheREDCAT; 10-12-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Good news! Ran the truck today for a couple of minutes to warm up the diffs and then ran for 5 minutes straight with high traction dig turns and kinda fast driving. I touched the outputs and they were only warm, I know there is a small decrease in heat compared to the Red and Tacky. I will let the truck sit tonight and check the oil level tomorrow to see if any is escaping. I still can't see any leaks from the o-rings on the outputs After thoroughly testing this setup I would like to start using other greases and oils
Old 07-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Tested another Lucas grease at the comp in Sioux Falls. It performed well and kept the diffs only warm. Thanks to ghtpdm5 I have some HD moly to try Also when I pulled the axles apart all the oil was still inside and coating the spool. The oil did ok but the heat ended up higher then I wanted. Can't wait to see how cool it runs with the HD moly. Did some tire testing also, I took the homemade dual stage foams that came with the ripsaws and put them in my rovers. Threw them on the front with the new wheels. The foams did very well in the rovers but I do want some C I foams. Need some slightly wider hubs also.

Last edited by TheREDCAT; 10-12-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #45
Defy Gravity

just a word here, i know my diffs were running a bit hot at sioux falls...turns out my mechanic didn't put enough grease in on the rebuild there was just a very thin coating when i cracked them today. that said, the things still aren't wearing. the only place on the gears that shows wear at all are where the pinion exits the housings.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Wow still very impressive! Just testing today my diffs got hotter then yours at the comp
Old 07-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #47
Defy Gravity

was that with the hd moly or the lucas stuff in the pic?
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Just the lucas. The HD moly will be going in very soon and a Castle BEC should arrive today too
Old 07-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

good to see you are still driving dude......will you be back in Phoenix this fall? I will have my comp crawler back together as well, but probably as a sporty rig.....
bquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Thanks I will be back around November 1st. Can't wait to see your rig
Old 09-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Today I finally started to get this truck lighter. Right now I'm working on the chassis. Here are some pics of the first side plate. I forgot to weigh it before but it now weighs only 1.5 oz I am also planning to remove excess wiring and move electronics lower too. Let me know what you think

Last edited by TheREDCAT; 09-19-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Got some more work done.

Drilled 3 more holes in the first chassis plate and got the other plate done.

Here it is on the truck.

Lightened the gear cover.

Removed little over 1/2 oz of excess wire.

Last edited by TheREDCAT; 09-19-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Here it is back together

The RX is lowed and the CC BEC is on the battery plate now. Also finally switched over to deans battery connectors.

I put the ESC on it's side.

Last edited by TheREDCAT; 09-19-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Lost some weight from the transmission.

Sipped the rovers.

It's working great

Last edited by TheREDCAT; 10-12-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

very nice build up RedCat! I have an lnc with a bunch of little mods performed on the way to where it is today. love the performance as well as being super impressed! I am contimplating either rovers or sedonas for my tire upgrade as my stock losi claws are rolling to much on themselves also and binding up the truck. funny to watch but a pain to wheel!
Post up when your back in phoenix, perhaps a few of us can get out for a crawl somewhere.
Ryan
SIK_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

I've actually been wanting to run oil in my axles. I have a box of o-rings and your idea sounded like it worked. Do you happen to have a picture of how you set it up?
Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIK_BOY View Post
very nice build up RedCat! I have an lnc with a bunch of little mods performed on the way to where it is today. love the performance as well as being super impressed! I am contimplating either rovers or sedonas for my tire upgrade as my stock losi claws are rolling to much on themselves also and binding up the truck. funny to watch but a pain to wheel!
Post up when your back in phoenix, perhaps a few of us can get out for a crawl somewhere.
Ryan
Thanks, will post when I'm back

Last edited by TheREDCAT; 10-12-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
I've actually been wanting to run oil in my axles. I have a box of o-rings and your idea sounded like it worked. Do you happen to have a picture of how you set it up?
Here are some.

At the top of this pic you can see the o-ring I used.

When I used thinner oil I used grease trying to seal all the moving parts and Blue RTV sealant around the case.

Here you can see the Blue RTV and the thinner oil.

When I switched to the smoke oil treatment instead of Blue RTV I just used grease around the case and all moving areas.
Also I didn't fill the axle tubes with grease since the oil treatment is thicker it stayed inside better requiring less prevention.
The o-ring just slipped over the output shafts and fit snug on the shafts to seal them.
Then the drive shafts held them on and when installing them I put the setscrews as far out on the shafts to not put a lot of pressure on the o-ring.
The o-rings wore in a groove on the axle case after a while, didn't seem to hurt anything though. Made sure to keep the o-ring lubricated also.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

I must be retarded. I can't fig out where the o-ring went. It went over that blue bearing?
Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

When the axle is assembled you slip the o-ring over the diff outputs before you install the drive shafts from the transmission. Hope this helps