Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Opinion on weight distribution

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Opinion on weight distribution

I am converting my LCC to my sportsman rig.

I had the BEC on the dig servo in the stock location. The battery on the front upper links. And the ESC and RX on the rear upper links. I removed the dig servo and but the BEC next to the RX on the rear. Trying to keep much unsprung weight as possible.

Noticed that now everything but the batt is on the rear links, which puts so much weight in the rear. I have 6oz each front wheel, took all weight out of the rears to help try and push the bias forward.

My question. Is it better to keep the weight unsprung (on the links) with as little on the chassis as possible, or keep the weight forward as possible (even if some if it becomes sprung)? I am out of room on the front links and front axle. Only place is on the chassis.

I know that Rubba runs some components on the chassis.

Thanks in advance. Hope my question makes sense.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Opinion on weight distribution

most guys try to keep it unsprung, with most of the weight up front.

i run my esc, motor, BEC, and dig servo on the chassis, with my batt, on the front upper links and a few oz's in each tire in the front and like 1 in each rear.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
most guys try to keep it unsprung, with most of the weight up front.

i run my esc, motor, BEC, and dig servo on the chassis, with my batt, on the front upper links and a few oz's in each tire in the front and like 1 in each rear.
Dude, thanks. I moved my BEC and RX to where the Dig servo was, and bunched the wires next to the RX. Left the ESC on the rear top links. Put on my CDW front servo batt mount. And oh my word, it just opened up. Pulling lines that I have never pulled before. I guess that I was too worried about keeping as much unsprung weight and low as possible, and not enough about the weight bias.

Never would of thought about that. Thank you for your help. So much more confidence in my rig walking into the comp on Sat, and the front suspension settles so much easier. So nice, it is amazing when something so simple makes such a difference.

Last edited by dentonmac; 01-22-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Defy Gravity

i keep the weight as unsprung as i possibly can. my front axle plate holds the battery, esc, rx, bec, and steering servo, only electronics outside that plate are the motor and dig servo. my chassis is also a fair shake lighter than the stocker.

bec is hiding under the plate.

Last edited by ghtpdm5; 01-22-2012 at 06:43 PM.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
i keep the weight as unsprung as i possibly can. my front axle plate holds the battery, esc, rx, bec, and steering servo, only electronics outside that plate are the motor and dig servo. my chassis is also a fair shake lighter than the stocker.
I have seen your front axle batt and servo mount in your thread. Really liking it (very impressed with some of the things you have come up with, btw). That way I can put the RX, BEC and ESC on the front links. I don't think I am man enough to run everything up there.

How are you liking everything that far forward? I should really reread your thread.

So is 'fair shake' a standardized unit of measurement.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Defy Gravity

yup, fair shake is standard i'll put up final weights when everything is final. and didn't know if you've read through or not, some people do, some people don't. it is a bit of a long read lol. the front axle plate cleared up a whole lot for me actually, the only problem is doing your wiring carefully. its a pain to do it the way i do, but i can pull any component and have a replacement in in minutes if i have to. with the heavier wheels i run, everything kinda equals out for weight front to rear, my balance point is right around my lower link mounts on the chassis.

alright, did a weigh in, i'll post it here as well. rtr weight is 5 lbs. 0.6 oz. my stock chassis rtr was 5 lbs. 5 oz. my front weight is 3 lbs, rear is 2 lbs 0.6oz. so right now i'm sitting at a 66% forward bias with no added wheel weights. also gives you an idea how much weight i shed with my chassis, that 5 oz. difference is a whole lot bigger when you factor in the amount of delrin i've added to the axles and the beefier links.

Last edited by ghtpdm5; 01-22-2012 at 10:01 PM.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Opinion on weight distribution - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
weight distribution magman Axial AX-10 Scorpion 0 03-18-2011 12:27 AM
weight distribution Bray D Venom Creeper 6 02-02-2010 10:50 PM
Ideal weight distribution? Azngtboi88 Newbie General 10 09-01-2009 05:04 PM
new mods (weight distribution) normldan HPI Wheely King 12 05-01-2007 03:27 PM