Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: LNC vs. LCC Trans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #1

Default LNC vs. LCC Trans

So I am building a new Sportmans rig, starting with a Phoenix chassis. I have an LCC gearbox, but I am wondering if I should go ahead and just build an LNC transmission since this will only be run for sportsman. I figured it might help me save some weight/complexity. Do you guys think the LNC transmission is better for sportsman than the LCC one?
DoctorRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: LNC vs. LCC Trans

Go with the lnc trans or wait till the bwd one comes out.
relic68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

My lcc started life as night crawler so ive just stuck with the stock trans. I like how simple it is and the gear ratio, its 1:1 vs 2:1. I have an lcc trans but just dont see the point in dropping it in.
kbogger81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I’d go with the LNC… simple, less gears moving, light; I think it’d be perfect for your application
I also started with a LNC and then transform it to a LCC, but if you only want to use it as a sportsman…LNC tranny is your best way I think…
Hopes it helps you
El Vasco
EL VASCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

yest the lnc tranny would be better for sportsman class. if you want to wait BWD is coming out with a great new option, but if you don't want to wait till it's released, go with the lnc one.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #6

Thank you all for the great feedback! Think I know which way I am going now
DoctorRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
Defy Gravity

the weight savings is another great thing about the lnc trans, it is far lighter than the lcc trans due in large part to its simplicity. pretty easy to build one to what you want, i never had a problem with the molded plastic gear set on the lnc trans. one of these days i'll find my scale (moving rc stuff to the shop for the summer, things get lost in the fray) and post the comparison.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
yest the lnc tranny would be better for sportsman class. if you want to wait BWD is coming out with a great new option, but if you don't want to wait till it's released, go with the lnc one.
Any news on the new option?
daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
WAM
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels View Post
Any news on the new option?
I wouldn't expect it to ever be produced unless you hear something differently from Don at BWD.

Pete, we've lost all the teeth from the middle gear a couple times. But they're cheap and available so we just put new ones in. Have Hot Racing metal gears on the shelf in case we change our minds. And I don't trust Losi to keep making parts. They've disappointed in the past.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
Defy Gravity

as far as the bwd thing, i emailed last week, still waiting for response back. that's one product i would really like to see personally.

and what kind of conditions were you running on when you stripped them? i beat my lnc trans like a rented mule on 2s with the 400 puller, then with the 17.5t on 3s, the trans is now with tgreer on the same gears. loamy conditions mixed with some rock. just curious as to where you guys are nuking these gears. and good plan on the gears in reserve....i've said what i have to say about losi before and don't feel the need to say it again here.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
WAM
Rock Crawler

We have a few Losi sporties which run weekly comps up here. I think two have stripped tranny gears (not me). Nothing special caused it. We slow-crawl and aren't particularly abusive. My guess is it may be the exposed gears might get some sand during falls etc. And remember, weekly comps over two years -- that's 100 comps.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
Defy Gravity

well that's not bad imo for exposed gears. i didn't know if it was a comp-by-comp basis on nuking them or if it was long term.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I blew the stock LNC gears jumping from rock to rock, I was at full throttle when I landed the gears did not like the shock.
rangercat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

LCC tranny to LNC tranny question.

I just put in a LNC tranny in my LCC sportsman. I just changed the tranny (and 16t pinion) left everything else the same. It feels like it is slower compared to the LCC running 12t. It sounds like the motor is spooling much faster with a little more bottom end grunt. Don't know if that is just the differences in tranny layout and the exposed gears.

When I look at the ratio charts for both the LNC with 16t is 78.14, and the LCC with a 12t 83.25. What am I missing? I know stock LNC is a 20t, should i go up that far? That is about where Jake was running ratio wise (LCC 16t), but I have never been able to get there with the LCC tranny.

Otherwise, it runs great. Very smooth and feels more solid (I know, most of that is in my head). I really like the simplicity, but would like to get a little of the wheel speed back.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
WAM
Rock Crawler

The Losi gear charts are notoriously inaccurate. We had a lot of discussion on the proper way to even define transmission ratios. Suffice it to say the LNC is on the order of twice as low geared as the LCC so your results seem spot on. For our local comps, we Losi drivers have always been more concerned with very technical, slow tricky downhills, so keep ours pretty low geared. As you say, that cuts back on wheelspeed and we try to keep them just fast enough to drive out from under a nose-stand. Flipping them over from turtle'd on flat ground isn't in the cards.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM View Post
The Losi gear charts are notoriously inaccurate. We had a lot of discussion on the proper way to even define transmission ratios. Suffice it to say the LNC is on the order of twice as low geared as the LCC so your results seem spot on. For our local comps, we Losi drivers have always been more concerned with very technical, slow tricky downhills, so keep ours pretty low geared. As you say, that cuts back on wheelspeed and we try to keep them just fast enough to drive out from under a nose-stand. Flipping them over from turtle'd on flat ground isn't in the cards.
Thank you very much, sir.

Yeah well flipping the turtle'd was never in the cards anyways. Ill try a little more gear and see what happens.

Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #17
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentonmac View Post
Yeah well flipping the turtle'd was never in the cards anyways.
It can be done.

I weighed the two, here's pictures.
Attached Images

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
It can be done.

I weighed the two, here's pictures.
Well you are a better man than I!

Great comparison, wow that is a huge difference. Thank you for posting!
Old 06-14-2013, 01:28 AM   #19
I joined the Band!

The LNC trans was in my Phoenix chassis at first. The chassis uses three of four mounting holes for the transmission. The screw on the motor side of the center transmission case & supports is not used on the Phoenix. We noticed the motor plate could flex and create deflection in the gears. So the LCC's solid transmission case works better for me.
Tortured Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

So I just switched over to the LNC tranz, flipped the skid and cut a port in the chassis for the motor to hang out. I dropped in a 12.3 ballistic sinsitered rotor in with a 17t pinion. I realize that I will never be able to get the wheelspeed of my XR. What is the largest pinion you have tried? I am happy over all with the effect. I have always loved my LCC it was my first rig.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote

LNC vs. LCC Trans - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lnc w/cc trans question? hodgedodge Team Losi Comp Crawler 7 01-17-2011 09:22 AM
LCC vs LNC TOYUTAH Team Losi Comp Crawler 9 01-15-2010 08:04 PM